Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone seen these "cracks" on a campy chainring?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-22, 07:45 PM
Cal398

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I have a 9-speed record group and on the chainring, where it attaches to the spider, there are long cracks on the inside facing edges of the "cut out" area. So where there's the cut-out triangle, there are long cracks on the sides that face each other. Going around the whole chainring, it looks like there are 9 total.

Edit: I got my ten posts, editing to add the photos.

Photo 1: https://postimg.cc/751QszNK
Photo 2: https://postimg.cc/d7qNz0Hw

Is it toast?

Last edited by Cal398; 01-05-22 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 01-04-22, 11:11 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 2,356 Times in 1,389 Posts
No one wants you to throw out a useable Campy chainrings, perhaps you can load photos under your profile by clicking on CAL398, then on "view public profile", then on right side of page, add albums.
Old 01-05-22, 01:36 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 868 Posts
I've seen Campag chainrings appear to delaminate as described, supposedly this is exacerbated by exposure to the elements and is caused by corrosion.

Rolled metals can have such planar porosities that aren't usually found in castings, it's a path for moisture and electrolytes apparently.
Likes For dddd:
Old 01-05-22, 10:59 PM
Cal398

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I've seen Campag chainrings appear to delaminate as described, supposedly this is exacerbated by exposure to the elements and is caused by corrosion.

Rolled metals can have such planar porosities that aren't usually found in castings, it's a path for moisture and electrolytes apparently.
Thank you dddd ! I added the photos above, is that consistent with what you're describing?

Maybe the answer is obvious, but does delaminating mean I should replace them?
Old 01-05-22, 11:08 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 461 Posts
We Be Lazy - Picture Assistance

(I see nothing...disconcerting: ride on.)

Last edited by machinist42; 01-05-22 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Wanted to allude to Sgt. Schultz, but alas, I'm no Hero.
Old 01-05-22, 11:31 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
here's mine

This one took 4 years of moderate use to go from unnoticeable to like this. It didn't fail catastrophically and I don't think yours would either. Was discovered because of derailleur rub.

Never seen any other brand do this. You'd think they'd have switched metal suppliers!

Last edited by scarlson; 01-05-22 at 11:34 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 01-06-22, 01:08 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42

(I see nothing...disconcerting: ride on.)
I see it, but I think it's just a residual mark from the stamping process. Of course, a photo which allows for a bit more of a close-up would help confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Having said that, IMHO the teeth appear to be getting quite worn - I'd be retiring that ring soon for that reason.

DD
Old 01-06-22, 06:57 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Have seen the earlier chainrings do that, almost always from a bike near salt water.

on the 9 speed ring, Simple Green or Zep used to clean off the grease?
Simple Green is a bad product as seen by the aircraft mechanics, there is a special formula for aircraft use.

the chainrings are one of the 7000 series alloys and the delaminating is characteristic of the metal when exposed to alkaline? Corrosion
I forgot all the details.
Old 01-06-22, 12:14 PM
Cal398

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks all! That would make sense, as this bike has spent almost its entire life on the California coast.

I'll give it a scrub and monitor it. I'll update the thread if something changes dramatically.
Old 01-06-22, 05:46 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 492 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I see it, but I think it's just a residual mark from the stamping process.
Ditto. I think that this is a common occurrence. There are similar marks on the lightening holes of high flange hubs. I have known a few folks a bit over the top on cosmetics who use rat tail files and polishing materials to smooth these marks over.
Old 01-06-22, 05:59 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by davester

I have known a few folks a bit over the top on cosmetics who use rat tail files and polishing materials to smooth these marks over.

And now you know another one

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-06-22 at 06:04 PM.
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-06-22, 06:07 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

This photo illustrates what I believe is actually going on with the OP's chainring:

Nope - those are not cracks. Also note the ring is NOS, so it's not been subject to any sort of stress in its lifetime.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-06-22, 06:47 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 416 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3828 Post(s)
Liked 3,377 Times in 2,204 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd

-----

the forum had a thread several year back regarding a machine which had been stored on the California coast in Mendocino county

it was all Nuovo Record equipped and the salt air had got this process going at a heck of a rate

if the bike were a cancer patient it would have been "stage four"

much of the dural had not only "delaminated" but was gone - all the components completely ruined

do not recall for sure what marque the machine was - want to say it was something CH such as a Mondia

have attempted searching for the thread in the past without success

perhaps another reader will recall it...

-----
Old 01-06-22, 08:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
This photo illustrates what I believe is actually going on with the OP's chainring:

Nope - those are not cracks. Also note the ring is NOS, so it's not been subject to any sort of stress in its lifetime.

DD
thanks DD, actually I had bypassed the die marks, wearing punch die set. The front surface of the OP’s chainring is possibly beginning to show stress.
my inquiry about Simple Green was not answered. If one uses that stuff it has to be super rinsed. Like 3X and hot water. Only leave it in contact to do its job, unlike a solvent dunk that can be unattended for a while.
Old 01-06-22, 10:30 PM
Cal398

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
thanks DD, actually I had bypassed the die marks, wearing punch die set. The front surface of the OP’s chainring is possibly beginning to show stress.
my inquiry about Simple Green was not answered. If one uses that stuff it has to be super rinsed. Like 3X and hot water. Only leave it in contact to do its job, unlike a solvent dunk that can be unattended for a while.
I’ve never used any strong solvent like that to clean off my bike - always just some dish soap and elbow grease. Good to know though!
Old 01-07-22, 07:21 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 396 Posts

DD
I've had Campy chainrings that looked like that. I'm still using them. I've also had Campy dropout alignment, BB and headset tools start to delaminate. I'm still using them.