Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rack help

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rack help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 03:39 AM
ze_zaskar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rack help

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I usually wander around MTBR, but for this particular question I think this is a better place.
I just finish to build a Surly Ogre. The bike is going to be used in general mtb, commuting (mainly grocery runs) and trips of variable lenght and terrain. When travelling I only intend to strap a drybag on top of the bag. When commuting I use some Axiom Appalachian panniers which I tend to overload. The rack will be kept on the bike all the time. I'm trying to chose between these racks:

Tubus Vega- Seems to be light and nice to be kept on the bike.

Tubus Cargo- Has an huge load capacity with a minimal weight penalty. Is it too overkill for what I intend?

Madison Summit- Is a lot cheaper than the Tubus ones, and is not that ugly. I'm not too keen on aluminium.

Any help will be appreciated
Old 07-27-12, 04:29 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I say go with the Tubus Cargo. It may be overkill for some of your scenarios but that's not a bad thing for an additional 4 ounces over the Vega. You'll not have to worry loading up with groceries. Tubus steel is pricey but definitely no nonsense rugged. I don't have any experience with the Madison Summit, but have used other aluminum racks that were flimsy when loaded up.
Old 07-27-12, 06:58 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ze_zasker, IME grocery runs are perhaps the toughest use of a carrier... stronger is better.

Brad
Old 07-27-12, 07:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18476 Post(s)
Liked 15,757 Times in 7,404 Posts
4 ounces is not a penalty. The fluid in a full bladder weighs more than 4 ounces. Do you feel lighter after taking a leak? You want strong if you are going to be going off road.
Old 07-27-12, 08:01 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3481 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by ze_zaskar
... ... ... When travelling I only intend to strap a drybag on top of the bag. ... ...
I assume you meant strap it on top of the rack, not bag. If you have no panniers on the rack, you need a fairly wide platform on the rack to support a drybag that you strap on top. But, if you use the panniers on the rack, that makes rack platform width less important as the panniers will help support the drybag.
Old 07-27-12, 08:09 AM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you went alloy the
Axiom Streamliner DLX Rack claims a 110 lb weight limit, and it's only 30 bucks.

I've never heard anything bad about Tubus racks. If you can afford the Tubus I would go with the Cargo.
Old 07-27-12, 08:52 AM
12bar

Bikes: Specialized, Felt, Surly, Masi,Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would choose the Tubus Cargo my preference is to have something rated for more weight or abuse than I am likely to subject it to.
Old 07-27-12, 09:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tubus Locc is a bigger platform , than even the Cargo. added feature :
U lock mount inside left leg. An Abus U lock was in mind, in design.
Old 07-27-12, 10:12 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Get the Cargo, or better yet, the Cargo Evo.

L to R: LOCC, Cargo, Vega, Fly, Luna:

https://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS...SON%20PAGE.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rack-Comparison-1.jpg (18.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 07-27-12, 10:17 AM
NCbiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Cargo. I love mine and the extra weight is nothing.
Old 07-27-12, 11:09 AM
ze_zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I assume you meant strap it on top of the rack, not bag.
Yes, that was a typo. I was trying to say on top of the rack, thank you.
If I go for a Tubus it will be the Cargo then.
Never looked at that Axiom. 50kgs is a big load. Any review on that rack?
Old 07-27-12, 06:04 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juggleaddict
if you went alloy the
Axiom Streamliner DLX Rack claims a 110 lb weight limit, and it's only 30 bucks.

I've never heard anything bad about Tubus racks. If you can afford the Tubus I would go with the Cargo.
I have two Axiom Journey racks, which have an even higher weight rating. They're definitely good racks for the "budget" category (a little over $30 plus shipping), and they have worked out just fine for me, but I just don't believe the weight rating. The Journey doesn't look to have stronger tubing or welds as other alloy racks I have seen, which tend to have 40 lb-ish ratings. That being said, I have gone grocery shopping with an Axiom Journey and large panniers, and everything worked fine.
Old 07-28-12, 02:01 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
I have a Cargo Expedition on my Surly Long Haul Trucker and consider it a great rack (jealous that you have an Orge but ) but the only niggle I have is that when I want to carry something on the rack and use panniers at the same time it is a bit of pain.

I now feel that the Logo Evo might have been a better choice. It is only 67 grams more weight too.

Andrew
Old 07-28-12, 05:45 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3481 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,155 Posts
Thorn used to rate their heaviest duty rack at a higher weight rating if you use 6mm bolts than the standard 5mm bolts. Thus, I don't put too much faith in really high weight ratings, as the limiting factor is the bolts.

Originally Posted by Aushiker
I have a Cargo Expedition on my Surly Long Haul Trucker and consider it a great rack (jealous that you have an Orge but ) but the only niggle I have is that when I want to carry something on the rack and use panniers at the same time it is a bit of pain.

I now feel that the Logo Evo might have been a better choice. It is only 67 grams more weight too.

Andrew
I bought a Logo EVO about a month ago and used it on a 500 mile tour with a heavy load. Worked great. Very stiff, stiffer than the Surly rack that it replaced. But, it has such a narrow platform that it is essentially unusable with a rack top bag or trunk. I will pull it off the bike in the near future and use a cheap rack around town that has a wider platform for a rack top bag, but the Logo EVO will be used on my future tours with panniers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3525.jpg (72.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-28-12, 05:52 AM
ze_zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's an impressive, and hard to belive, cargo capacity for the Axiom racks. And they are quite inexpensive.

By the way, this is the bike:

Old 07-28-12, 05:55 AM
ze_zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But, it has such a narrow platform that it is essentially unusable with a rack top bag or trunk
That's why the Logo and Vega are out of the equation for me. Right now, the game is between the unanimous Tubus Cargo and a cheaper Axiom/Madison alternative
Old 07-28-12, 09:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
chainstays are rather short, so think about heel and pannier contact,
pedaling, in your choice and setup..

a modest bit of creativity and plywood can make the narrow ,
wider..
I like Scandinavian Baltic Birch ply the best..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-28-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-28-12, 12:22 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Bob, Ogre CS length is variable, in that it has a horizontal dropout with ~40mm of adjustment range for the case of an IGH with chain tensioning requirement. Surly geometry states CS=431mm, which is the most forward position, but you can effectively extend it to ~470mm (although with a derailleur it's going to work best in the 431-450 mm range, due to fixed location of RD hanger).

The actual rack mounting points are located a distance of ~440mm to ~460mm from BB center (there are 3).

https://surlybikes.com/uploads/bikes/fm_ogre_03.jpg

OP - If you want fenders, but haven't tried fitting them yet, you will find that the FD cable will interfere with fender if the wheel is mounted fully forward. You have to move it (and fender location) rearwards a bit to clear cable. Mounting the wheel and fender further back also makes it easier to remove the wheel with the tight fit you will have with fenders and a horizontal dropout. At this point you may also need Surly Monkey Nuts or a Tuggnut to keep the wheel from slipping forwards when pedalling.

https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew...nt_derailleurs

Back to topic, and on second thought, I think I would put a Tubus Locc on an Ogre, partly for the extra top length and width, partly for the neat way to secure a U-lock (assuming the right Abus lock can be found), and lastly it seems like the Locc would just look better scale-wise. More importantly, the Locc has more clearance height-wise and tire-diameter-wise than other Tubus racks and is better suited for 29er tires.

https://www.tubus.com/documents/13365...Classic_BM.pdf

https://www.tubus.com/documents/1323681562_Locc_BM.pdf
Old 07-28-12, 01:41 PM
mikhalit

Bikes: Poison Chinin IGH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubus Cargo is limited to 50mm tires width (as seeker has already indicated). I guess that might matter to Ogre owners, Locc and Cosmo might be better alternatives. Also, big wheels covered with mud and Cargo don't do well together.

Besides Cargo I own Madison Ridge rack and it seems to be surprisingly good for the money, no issues so far (but it hasn't seen any real rough pavement yet).

Last edited by mikhalit; 07-28-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-28-12, 03:26 PM
ze_zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already use Monley Nuts on my Ogre, and have no intention to change the axel position on the dropout. But since I have no plans to tour with full on panniers, heel strikes are probably not a problem. Also, I have no intentions to run fenders.

I wasn't aware of the Tubus Cargo tire width limit. I sometimes use some fairly wide tires on my bikes (Panaracer Rampage eg.) so that might be a problem.

Just found a really good deal on a Surly Nice Rack copy (Ragley Rack'em Up). What do you think of this one?
Old 07-29-12, 03:58 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I just recently came across a Bontrager rack that attaches via the skewer. https://www.bontrager.com/model/08214 This seems a stronger connection than the threaded connection in single sheer of most mounts. This rack also can be connected at the top to the brake bridge and thus can be even used with a carbon frame.
Old 07-29-12, 09:02 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Originally Posted by berner
I just recently came across a Bontrager rack that attaches via the skewer. https://www.bontrager.com/model/08214 This seems a stronger connection than the threaded connection in single sheer of most mounts. This rack also can be connected at the top to the brake bridge and thus can be even used with a carbon frame.
I wonder how this sorts of skewer mounts (Tubus have one as well) go with the likes of Bob trailer and Extrawheel Voyager skewers.

Andrew
Old 07-30-12, 04:18 AM
ze_zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really have no interest on that kind of attachment.
Any opinions on the Surly type rack that I've mentioned?
Old 07-30-12, 04:50 PM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is not on your list, but I use the Jandd Expediton on mine and it works great. Holds a ton (not really, more like 75 lbs) and keeps panniers out of heel strike range.

By thestoutdog at 2012-07-07

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 07-30-12, 06:57 PM
Aushiker

Originally Posted by thestoutdog
I know this is not on your list, but I use the Jandd Expediton on mine and it works great. Holds a ton (not really, more like 75 lbs) and keeps panniers out of heel strike range.
Very nice looking setup you have.

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.