Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A little etiquette please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A little etiquette please

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 10:36 PM
travkat
Go as fast as you can

Bikes: Ritte Bosberg with SRAM Red and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin55
Cycling is dangerous. Hopefully we will watch our for our fellow riders, but the reality is we can only ride one bike at a time....so in the end it is your bike, your health, your fault. I'm glad you didn't fall, and needless to say...it was a learing experience, and hopefully this will remind us all to point out road problems...even for strangers.

I'm an older guy, having started racing in the early 70's...and often ride on Hwy 101... and sometime my moderate pace results in me riding with newbies on their brand new "first road bikes". Sadly, many of this new riders tell me what a-holes the so called cycling "studs" that they encounter on the road on even Pro LBSs.

How about this for a new year's resolution, help a newbie...give a stranger on the road a tube and show him or her how to install it....untangle their dropped chain, whatever

happy holidays
Absolutely great advice. And I am that guy, I am usually the one who offers to stop and help people with flats and always gives up a tube or C02. In fact when I was working in shop I gave beginner seminars on basic roadside flat fixes etc. I was hoping that Karma was working for me. I guess since I didn't go down it was. Happy Holidays all!
Old 11-27-10, 10:57 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,220 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
It was lame that they didn't let you know, but not irresponsible.

You shouldn't follow two random fools that you don't know so closely. Stay far enough back so that you can see potholes/obstacles ect.
This. One thing I've noticed is that some people simply don't know the etiquette. Not to stereotype, but most of the tri people I've ridden with have no clue about group riding protocol. Some of these people are even close friends, so I know they would have pointed out dangers (and not absent-mindedly get in the aerobars) had they thought about it. One guy (not a triathlete, but someone who rode with a friend of mine frequently) had a habit of almost throwing his bike backwards when he stood during climbs. I made a mental note to stay a bike length away. So, unless and until I am familiar with a person's riding habits, I play it safe.
Old 11-27-10, 11:08 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where are the potholes?
Old 11-27-10, 11:14 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8327 Post(s)
Liked 9,142 Times in 4,515 Posts
There are people out there who never point anything out. They're not trying to be jerks, they just don't do it. Some people assume other riders subscribe to the same rules and ideas as they do and they might not.
Old 11-27-10, 11:23 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry, you were wrong. I agree with that others have said, don't follow people you don't know so closely and be responsible for your own safety. When you are riding in a group you have to have some faith in the people you are with and and put some of your safety in their hands. When you encounter random people on the road don't make any assumptions.
Old 11-27-10, 11:30 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes point out road conditions to strangers when I know they're sitting on my wheel....sometimes I don't....
Old 11-27-10, 11:36 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Your fault. Don't expect a stranger to take a hand off the bars during a descent to help you out.
Old 11-27-10, 11:55 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
I barely expect my riding partners to point out road hazards.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-28-10, 01:33 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"A runner was right there when it happened and even he thought it was lame of the guys in front."

Well, that settles it!
Old 11-28-10, 01:57 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
You announced yourself so they should have pointed out a pothole, but courtesy isn't a given unfortunately. Even when riders don't announce themselves I point out potential hazards if they're on my wheel.
Old 11-28-10, 02:23 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride alone so often it usually doesn't occur to me to point out obstacles to random wheel-suckers behind me...
Old 11-28-10, 05:53 AM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, poor etiquette indeed. Did the rider up front point out the pothole to the second rider? If not, any verbal communications? If not, since they managed to avoid the hole, they probably assumed you also knew it was there. I always signal to anyone latching on to a ride and would hope for the same. Since it is likely to encounter the same cyclists on a future ride, a small gesture goes a long way.
Old 11-28-10, 09:35 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
In an ideal world, they would have pointed out the pot holes. For a less than ideal world, you assumed too much. Be responsible for your own safety and try to look after others.
Old 11-28-10, 09:45 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll point out that this is why many people don't like random people to be drafting them, because they don't want to feel responsible for having someone behind them. When this comes up here on BF all the time, the common thing people say is that it doesn't affect the person in front so they shouldn't care. But as you can see, it clearly does affect them because now [some of] you guys are saying that it's "bad etiquette" to not signal to some random stranger sucking your wheel.

The bottom line, if you aren't in a group with someone, and you are following close enough that it is a problem when the person in front doesn't point something out, then you screwed up. The etiquette fault lies with you for getting too close in the first place.
Old 11-28-10, 09:48 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I know a guy who points so damn much he cannot ride in a straight line. I don't point much at all, saving it for only really big deals.
Old 11-28-10, 09:52 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
jerkfaces everwhere.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-28-10, 09:53 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
black friday sale at the jerk store.
Old 11-28-10, 10:19 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple thoughts on the matter:

1) If you are riding in the drops at speed it is very hard to avoid the hazard and point it out in time to the rider behind. Also if you are following someone and they quickly change direction (assume the rider did it for a reason) you also change direction and follow the path of the lead rider.

2) It drives me crazy when the lead rider points out every little imperfection in the road.

3) When I ride on a path I know well I will inform other riders well in advance. For example the strom drain rut on Montauk Highway East just after leaving WaterMill, across from the Milk Pail.
Old 11-28-10, 10:20 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While I do think it's poor etiquette, you can pretty easily play devil's advocate and see it this way:

Your were coming down a descent a FAST speed, nearing 30mph. While you (and many on these forums) will have confidence to take a hand off and signal at that speed, these guys may not have. I for sure have bombed down windy roads (fortunately not with anybody behind me) at similar speed, encountered an unexpected branch or pebble, and not had time or confidence to take a hand off the brakes to signal it.

I'd actually say it was far more likely that they weren't out to "screw you" , but that they were trying to ride safely within their limits at that type of speed.

I already know you're going to say "but it was totally clear" and "totally safe to signal with no curves, turns, or braking areas", and that'll probably be true to you, but you already knew that you can't assume everyone out there is as good a rider as yourself.

I actually have found that that are very few real strangers out there who are out to be 'jerks' , but many, many more instances of incidents where one person misinterprets the action and immediately concludes that they were intentionally wronged by a 'jerk.' I don't know any cyclists, even bad ones, who would split quickly just to wipe out a rider behind them, and I've been taken down in a similar fashion in a fast ride splitting around unexpected traffic cones with no signal warnings despite at least 7 riders ahead who were too busy emergency braking and swerving to signal until it was too late. (Good riders, too - a few Cat2-3s in there)
Old 11-28-10, 10:20 AM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I'll point out that this is why many people don't like random people to be drafting them, because they don't want to feel responsible for having someone behind them. When this comes up here on BF all the time, the common thing people say is that it doesn't affect the person in front so they shouldn't care. But as you can see, it clearly does affect them because now [some of] you guys are saying that it's "bad etiquette" to not signal to some random stranger sucking your wheel.

The bottom line, if you aren't in a group with someone, and you are following close enough that it is a problem when the person in front doesn't point something out, then you screwed up. The etiquette fault lies with you for getting too close in the first place.
Correct.
Old 11-28-10, 10:23 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
If some random rider latches on, I'll point stuff out until either the rider goes by, turns off, or drops off. I'll ease my pace unless I'm time-challenged (like I have 3 hours left to ride and it's 2.8 hours until it gets dark - this mainly applies to North County "training camps" since that's about the only time I do regular long rides).

Having said that, although I point out stuff, my expectations of others is much lower. I assume they won't. Therefore I always ride like I do in a race - look out for my front wheel and keep an eye out for any potential problems.

When I'm out there in Feb I'll post something somewhere. We can go for a nice, friendly, etiquette nice ride.
Old 11-28-10, 10:25 AM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Having said that, although I point out stuff, my expectations of others is much lower. I assume they won't. Therefore I always ride like I do in a race - look out for my front wheel and keep an eye out for any potential problems.
Same
Old 11-28-10, 11:09 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Public roadways; use at your own risk.

I ride solo almost exclusively, so it probably wouldn't occur to me to point out a pothole or other road hazard to anyone who might be behind me. I figure if I could spot and avoid it, so can they. Now, if some stranger starts sucking my wheel without my permission, I get nervous. I probably wouldn't want to encourage them.

pcad = freelance humanitarian
Old 11-28-10, 11:46 AM
Pelotoner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlin55

How about this for a new year's resolution, help a newbie...give a stranger on the road a tube and show him or her how to install it....untangle their dropped chain, whatever

happy holidays
Amen to this my brother. We all need to get along and help others.
Old 11-28-10, 05:05 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
The problem I have is that 95% of the time when I'm riding, I'm riding by myself, so pointing out every little flaw in the road, hollering "car up!" "Car back!" "Passing!" etc is just not something I'm used to doing. On the other hand, I'm not accustomed to riding 6" off somebody's wheel and hoping they do my thinking for me, either.

I've also noticed among people that do this, a WIDE variation in what gets pointed out.

I'm reminded also of a road in Louisiana where the road sign said "Substandard Road- Next 20 Miles". Maybe that would be the way to handle it on a group ride, since some of the roads I'm on have long areas of substandardosities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.