Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What type of shoes am I looking for?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 07:25 PM
shuru421

Liked 95 Times in 42 Posts

My bike currently has pedals that are similar to these, Im assuming these are clipless pedals, but as these are being my first pair of cycling shoes, what type of shoes am I looking to get? Suggestions would be awesome, hopefully somewhere in the 100-200(less than 200 preferably). Thank you.
Old 11-28-16, 08:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Liked 4,331 Times in 2,788 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
My bike currently has pedals that are similar to these, Im assuming these are clipless pedals, but as these are being my first pair of cycling shoes, what type of shoes am I looking to get? Suggestions would be awesome, hopefully somewhere in the 100-200(less than 200 preferably). Thank you.
I don't see these. Perhaps your picture didn't post. Makes helping you difficult. Clipless cleats come in two formats, those with 2-bolt attachment to the shoes, usually called SPD or MTB systems and 3-bolt attachment often called the LOOK bolt pattern. Shoes for the two bolt often have sole around the cleat, making them quite walkable but many feel teh narrower cleat doesn't support the shoe/foot as well. 3-blot shoes are often called road shoes, are a lot more common for road bikes, but those shoes are almost always miserable to walk on, for the shoe, for the cleat and you,. (Slipping is a very real possibility.)

If you are starting from the pedals you have, that will dictate the type of shoe you need. If you are starting from scratch (or if you are new to clipless), study the various formats and go from there.

Ben
Old 11-28-16, 09:56 PM
shuru421

Liked 95 Times in 42 Posts
Vintage Campagnolo Record QR Road Bike Clipless Pedals 9/16" Steel Spindle | eBay

my goodness......forgot to put up the link loll...
Old 11-28-16, 11:27 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Look Delta cleat, therefore 3 hole shoes. These are what most people think of as road bike shoes/cleats, though many of us use 2-hole cleats and shoes on our road bikes.

Your best bet is go to the LBS and see what they have. A LOT of shoes work with this cleat, and you'll need to find the brand and specific shoe that fits best for you. You'll also probably want to get cleat covers, so you can walk around off your bike, if that's part of your thing.
Old 11-29-16, 12:05 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 1,127 Times in 748 Posts

Geez -- 90 bucks for LOOK pedals --- sheesh -- seen them go for much less under names other than Campagnolo--- Campy-philes can be a tad loony though

super common LOOk pedal platform -- pretty much THE
clipless pedal for 20 years ----

Buy the red cleats, they are more forgiving of minor adjustment issues

A shoe suggestion would be ---- anything SIDI makes - done
Old 11-29-16, 01:00 AM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
Geez -- 90 bucks for LOOK pedals --- sheesh -- seen them go for much less under names other than Campagnolo--- Campy-philes can be a tad loony though

super common LOOk pedal platform -- pretty much THE
clipless pedal for 20 years ----

Buy the red cleats, they are more forgiving of minor adjustment issues

A shoe suggestion would be ---- anything SIDI makes - done
I had the cheaper grey version (Veloce?) of these. They work fine with red cleats - back then I didn't know otherwise anyway.

A shoe suggestion would be anything SIDI makes they're great shoes... or anything that fits your foot.
I had a pair of cheap Adidas BITD that fitted perfectly.

Recommissioned them a year ago and the soles came off before I got to the end of the street. No amount of shoe goo would save them so I bought a pair of SIDI's.
Old 11-29-16, 08:11 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 209 Times in 147 Posts
Remember to buy shoes AND cleats. This is counter intuitive, but the shoes don't come with cleats. You get the cleats with the pedals, so if the cleats are missing, you need to buy those, too.