Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Custom 12 Mixte Reflector

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-23, 10:48 AM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts

I am working on an older Nishiki Custom 12 Mixte. I have changed the drop bars to upright and otherwise all original parts. It has a rear reflector on the seatpost but I suspect it originally had the reflector located where this bolt is. Would anyone know if this it true? I can go to a bike co-op that has a huge number of old reflectors but it would be helpful if I know the shape of the bracket that I am looking for. Also, I am trying to figure out the date on this bike. There is no serial number on the bottom of the BB. Does anyone know where to look for this or how to date it? Thanks!
Old 07-01-23, 11:25 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Serial number may be on the drive side dropout.
Old 07-01-23, 11:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Do you have a profile view of the bike? It's possible it was mounted on that bridge but would it be visable above the rear wheel? OEM reflectors really increase value immensely!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-01-23, 12:46 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
@louky

Bin the reflector, get and use a proper light.

Reflectors often denote an ill conceived safety CYA for the company and detract from the C+V aesthetic.

I would not encumber the SP binder with a bracket and don't remember if any were placed there, they can be fussy on a good day.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-01-23, 01:44 PM
louky

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Do you have a profile view of the bike? It's possible it was mounted on that bridge but would it be visable above the rear wheel? OEM reflectors really increase value immensely!
I will post a pic of the profile as soon as I can.
Old 07-01-23, 01:48 PM
louky

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I have seen some reflectors with brackets at the co-op that would definitely raise this high enough to see. IIRC they are galvanized, maybe 1/8 x 3/4 flat stock with a couple of bends before the reflector. I won't be able to take the bike to the co-op to try these on. I was hoping there was a "typical" mounting for mixtes of this era.
Old 07-01-23, 01:55 PM
louky

I did some more searching and found this on BF. The 2nd pic is what I was envisioning. Raleigh Grand Prix Mixte Question - Bike Forums
Likes For louky:
Old 07-01-23, 02:51 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I did some more searching and found this on BF. The 2nd pic is what I was envisioning. Raleigh Grand Prix Mixte Question - Bike Forums
That was pretty typical, with a rack and anything on it the reflector would be blocked. I like dynamo lights on the rear of a rack or on the non drive side fender stay if panniers won't be used.