Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Norco Magnum GT

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Norco Magnum GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 06:28 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Norco Magnum GT

Over the years I have had the odd touring bike but have, in the end, settled pretty well on a 650b rando having two of them. This particular Magnum GT was listed locally and given the asking price as well as overall condition decided it was worth purchasing. Size is either 56 or 57 cm - I will not be picking it up until next Tuesday. I believe it is from the mid 1980's and comes with 700C wheels which tends to date a lot touring bikes from this time period or later. I really had not thought of adding another bike, I already have four including a nice 1970 Gitane TDF and only so much room. Maybe it is the colour.

It appears to be in great condition and original, not something one finds too readily. I imagine there were not very many sold back then as touring bikes in general started to drop in popularity. I will need to change the stem and handlebars, a case of too long and too narrow as well as add some aluminum or stainless steel fenders, MKS Sylvan Touring pedals and most likely 35mm tires, there are 28mm Pasela's currently mounted.

I should not need to do too many alterations to have a good fit and hopefully it will have a nice ride. Although more expensive I think a pair of Rene Herse tires would be a good choice. Handlebar tape will most likely be a brown cloth or leather. I also find the Origin8 brake levers very nice though the Dia Compe on the Norco are certainly more than adequate. As one ages comfort tends to become much more important.

Here are some images of the bike as is for any Norco admirers:

Last edited by VintageRide; 08-27-23 at 01:13 PM.
Likes For VintageRide:
Old 08-27-23, 08:17 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Very nice ride! I have a slightly older Norco Magnum SE which I understand was the “sports” version of your bike. All Shimano 600 but like I said a little older (no pictures at hand but if you search Norco Magnum in BF you will find lots of info).

randyjawa can probably fill in some details.

edit: found a picture… all original except the bar tape, brake hoods, tires and brake pads

Last edited by markk900; 08-27-23 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-27-23, 08:20 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Love the Suntour triple pulley DR.
Old 08-28-23, 06:49 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Some pictures after an initial cleaning, will be detailing it further and making a list of parts I need to change although I do like the Nitto stem it is too long and I also need it higher, Anyone know if the Dia Compe brake levers are original? They have a sort of smoked dark grey finish. I will most likely have to use the Origin8 levers as I find them more comfortable with a better mechanical advantage.

I think given the local market the 200 I paid was a good deal. Of course, the parts I will be buying will most likely cost twice that at a minimum. I have to do some research but it looks as though the only non original part is the handlebar tape and possibly the shifter/brake housing and Vetta seat though I am not well versed on this model.

Anyone know how old this Panaracer tires are?

Last edited by VintageRide; 08-28-23 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-30-23, 12:26 AM
VintageRide

A few more images:

Old 08-30-23, 06:23 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I love to monkey with part swaps but if that were my bike, I'd leave it OG
Old 08-30-23, 07:20 PM
VintageRide

Well, as much as I would like to leave it stock I definitely need to make it rideable so will be swapping out the Nitto stem for a Nitto Technomic some wider Nitto Noodle handlebars, those and some MKS Sylvan Touring pedals. The standard road pedals on it are simply too narrow to be comfortable. Beyond those changes and some 38mm Rene Herse tires and hammered fenders, probably Honjo and more than likely a Brooks B17 ( I have two other Rando bikes with them ). I will most likely install a front rack that mounts onto the canti brakes as well.

All in all it will be tasteful enough and not something that is out of the ordinary as fit is definitely important. I do plan on keeping the original parts though. I was spinning the front wheel and the Suzue sealed hub is still very smooth. Trying to find information on the Panarcer 700C 28mm " Dual " tires, or at least that is what I can make of the script on the sidewall.

Typical situation, 200 for the bike and somewhere around 800 + in parts with what I have in mind, plus a nice Berthoud front bag if the bike takes to a front load. Nothing out of the ordinary I suppose, what can one get for around 1000 today for anew bike? Not one as nice that is for certain and I would still have to change something. Problem is all the new bikes, especially at that price would use oversize tubing and sloping top tubes for the most part.

Last edited by VintageRide; 08-30-23 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-31-23, 02:11 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Can't wait to see the finished result, though looks very fine as is. The finished metallic bespeckled paint looks great and it reminds me of my Sakai Select bike which is very similar.
Old 08-31-23, 06:05 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
Nothing out of the ordinary I suppose, What can one get for around 1000 today for a new bike? Not one as nice that is for certain and I would still have to change something.
You'll like it. I commuted on a Norco road for a summer until the panel van turned left in front of me at 30 kph. Hung the frame and pushed the van side in about 6 inches. Insurance paid out for a 97 Lemond Tourmalet.

Both were great rides.