Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Changing Pedals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Changing Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 03:08 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Changing Pedals

So I have this vintage Motobecane. Came with Stronglight crank set, Atom pedals w/cages & straps.

I've been riding it this summer (after a not too tedious renovation on the moving parts) and just today received a new pair of Shimano bike shoes. There's these little steel inserts inna bottoms, threaded to take bolts for cleats? The Nikes I been using for twelve years still fit but are getting old (why I bought the Shimanos).

Are clips easier to ride with than the cages / straps of olde? Safer, less safe? Walking in shoes w/clips is a PITA? (I had a pair of bike shoes back decades ago, really thin soles & leather things riveted on that engage the back portion of a pedal's frame, to augment the frame/strap securement. Those were a PITA to walk in, let me tell you sometime.)

How hard izit to thread on new pedals I can use with clips (clue me into what's out there for road bikes please, with links and comments) on this bike?

Can one mount clips on 'olde style' pedals once cages & straps are removed?

The atoms are coded for left/right owing to the threading appropriate for each side. I'd like to keep 'em (for no other reasons than aesthetics and that they came with the bike) if possible unless finding clip-capable pedals that screw right in will be fairly easy.

Last edited by spclark; 09-09-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-09-23, 03:12 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,489 Times in 3,212 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
The atoms are coded for left/right...

As long as they're labeled L/R, not D/G, you're in good shape to make an easy swap. The L one is reverse threaded.
Old 09-09-23, 03:25 PM
spclark 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
As long as they're labeled L/R, not D/G, you're in good shape to make an easy swap. The L one is reverse threaded.
Yep, mine're D/G. That's French for R/L, right?

So French threading limits selection? I can re-tap my arms for more standard threading? I've used left-hand taps before, they're out there but not as expensive critters as I remember them being; Amazon has a set of proper taps for ~ US $20.

And pardon my use of 'clips' when I meant 'clipless' technology! REI's telling me 'clip' means cage & strap. Clipless is an interlocking tech that wasn't around when I bought this bike. I don't want simple flat pedals, I'm using those right now.

Last edited by spclark; 09-09-23 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-09-23, 03:51 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

pedals marked D&G are couture from Dolce & Gabbana

-----
Old 09-09-23, 04:31 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
There are specialty taps for converting French crank threads to 9/16." They have a long tapered starting reamer section which really helps to keep the hole from wandering away from a right angle. I believe Hozan may still make some relatively affordable ones. Otherwise find the oldest bike shop in your area and ask the oldest mechanic in that shop if they can do the job for you. This is not to say that you can't do the job with standard left and right 9/16" taps but proceed very carefully.
Brent

Old 09-09-23, 04:33 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

pedals marked D&G are couture from Dolce & Gabbana

-----
The ones marked R L are Ralph Lauren.
Old 09-09-23, 04:48 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Opinions are a bit mixed on clipless pedals. I used them for years, and recently decided they weren't worth the trouble for my style of casual biking. I don't miss them
I'd try them on your Kona before I re-tapped the Motobecane if I were you. And I'd suggest getting a shop with the proper taps to do the work for your if you do decide to alter the Motobecane. It will probalbly be cheaper than buying the taps.
Old 09-09-23, 06:23 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
The ones marked R L are Ralph Lauren.

-----

real name Ralph Lifsh#tz

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 09-09-23, 06:59 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
Opinions are a bit mixed on clipless pedals. I used them for years, and recently decided they weren't worth the trouble for my style of casual biking. I don't miss them
I'd try them on your Kona before I re-tapped the Motobecane if I were you. And I'd suggest getting a shop with the proper taps to do the work for your if you do decide to alter the Motobecane. It will probalbly be cheaper than buying the taps.

Ditto. I have also retrenched back to using either flat pedals or toeclips/straps after many years of using so-called "clipless" pedals. I still have one bike that has SPDs on it but I don't ride it very often.
Old 09-09-23, 08:11 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
I have cups on many of my bikes, which are basically toe clips without the straps. Like John Nolan, my riding style is pretty casual. Cups give you a decent percentage of the efficiency of clips or clipless with much less constraint. Velo Orange normally carries an inexpensive cup that attaches like a clip, but they're out of stock right now. You can use a toe clip and just take the strap off, but they kind of look like you don't know what you're doing.
Old 09-10-23, 08:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
Yep, mine're D/G. That's French for R/L, right?
D/G should mean metric (aka "French") thread. Stronglight did explicitly mark the thread spec on the back of the arms:

So French threading limits selection? I can re-tap my arms for more standard threading? I've used left-hand taps before, they're out there but not as expensive critters as I remember them being; Amazon has a set of proper taps for ~ US $20.
AFAIK, nobody has made metric thread clipless pedals since the 1980s, and I don't think Shimano-compatible clipless pedals were ever made. Yes, your crank can be retapped to ISO/English thread. Before investing in tools for what might be a one-off job, you might check your local shops to see what they'd charge to do it.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 09-10-23 at 08:52 AM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-10-23, 09:25 AM
spclark 

Thanks All!

Great replies! Thanks to all who've replied.

I'll keep the new shoes, likely take straps off my Atoms, leave the toe cages; they're a fairly late addition anyway, the original steel ones got kinda rusty after ~ 30 years so I bought new plastic kind.

JDT thanks for that pic! Seems my arms were made before Stronglight had need of stamping thread specs. There's naught like what's in that pic anywhere on either of 'em.

Simple test'll be try one of my Kona's pedals, or a 9/16x20 threaded bolt from the bin @ work. Easy enough either way.