Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rear light bracket for my Brooks B-17 saddle

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-23, 12:51 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I'm looking for a rear light bracket for my Brooks B-17 saddle. My rack has a steady light attached, but I'd like to add a blinking light for additional safety. I have Bontrager, CatEye, Nite Ize and other lights that I can use. My rack bag doesn't have a rear loop (WHY???) so that won't help plus I don't always use my rack bag anyway.

Thank you.
Old 12-02-23, 06:28 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I must be missing something: why not use one of the many lights that attach to the seat post?
Old 12-02-23, 08:15 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
This mounts on the saddle rails, but it is specific to the German taillights that have 50mm spaced bolt holes.
https://www.perennialcycle.com/busch...ail-mount.html

And the B17 saddle has a very short length adjustment range for saddle rails so if your saddle was unusually far forward, this might not work.
Old 12-04-23, 10:04 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nolan
I must be missing something: why not use one of the many lights that attach to the seat post?
Not the OP, but seatpost mounted lights are often invisible on my bike with a tent or sleeping pad on the rack behind them.

If that's the O.P.'s setup as well, I used a cargo net to hold the racktop load. That made it possible to use a clip-on light, which would normally be clipped onto a jersey pocket, clipped on the cargo net at the rear of the bike. Alternatively, clipping the light onto a saddle bag with a loop at the rear might be high enough to clear the racktop load.
Old 12-04-23, 10:11 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Ah-ha!
Old 12-04-23, 10:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Not the OP, but seatpost mounted lights are often invisible on my bike with a tent or sleeping pad on the rack behind them.

If that's the O.P.'s setup as well, I used a cargo net to hold the racktop load. That made it possible to use a clip-on light, which would normally be clipped onto a jersey pocket, clipped on the cargo net at the rear of the bike. Alternatively, clipping the light onto a saddle bag with a loop at the rear might be high enough to clear the racktop load.
I used to commute through a college campus to and from work. And even in winter there were a lot of bicyclists. In November through January when it was after sunset on my drive home I often saw bicyclists with blinkers attached to backpacks, or strapped to a small saddle bag, or some other piece of fabric that prevented them from carefully aiming the taillights. And they were often worthless because they shined towards the sky or pavement. Typically when I saw these blinkers, it was when I was only a few tens of feet behind them. Or, perhaps they were worse than worthless because the riders may have had a false sense of security thinking that they were actually seen.

I only use taillights mounted on a rack, seatpost or seat stay so that I can carefully aim them towards where the drivers behind me are.
Old 12-04-23, 10:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I used to commute through a college campus to and from work. And even in winter there were a lot of bicyclists. In November through January when it was after sunset on my drive home I often saw bicyclists with blinkers attached to backpacks, or strapped to a small saddle bag, or some other piece of fabric that prevented them from carefully aiming the taillights. And they were often worthless because they shined towards the sky or pavement. Typically when I saw these blinkers, it was when I was only a few tens of feet behind them. Or, perhaps they were worse than worthless because the riders may have had a false sense of security thinking that they were actually seen.

I only use taillights mounted on a rack, seatpost or seat stay so that I can carefully aim them towards where the drivers behind me are.
I don't disagree with you. However, keeping the directionality of blinky lights in mind, it takes less than a minute to aim one correctly that's attached to a cargo net, IME. The net can be stretched or retracted slightly so the tent or sleeping pad cradles the light where it needs to be.
Old 12-04-23, 01:17 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
I hear you. Instead of questioning your motives or basically calling you dumb, I'll tell you what I made for my own B-17 using parts from a local co-op.

My co-op has bins upon bins of kickstands and kickstand parts.

I used two of the top part, the part that sits over the chain-stays, and bent a little bracket, ran a bolt/nut though there and it works great, providing light over my rack and the occasional 6-pack strapped to it.

Hope that was helpful.
Old 12-04-23, 01:35 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
This mounts on the saddle rails, but it is specific to the German taillights that have 50mm spaced bolt holes.
https://www.perennialcycle.com/busch...ail-mount.html
This looks like a fun 3D Printer Project. There are plenty out there and finding one could be tedious. Note that bikeforums.net does not have a specific area for proven bicycle related 3D printer links YET... Go Figure...

Anyway, send me some specs and I'll give it a try.
Old 12-04-23, 01:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by zandoval
This looks like a fun 3D Printer Project. There are plenty out there and finding one could be tedious. Note that bikeforums.net does not have a specific area for proven bicycle related 3D printer links YET... Go Figure...

Anyway, send me some specs and I'll give it a try.
It is not mine, sold by Busch and Muller in Germany. I have no specs.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-04-23, 03:32 PM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Note that bikeforums.net does not have a specific area for proven bicycle related 3D printer links YET... Go Figure...
This is such a great idea! I recently got a CNC-ready Taig mini-mill, still struggling to get everything playing together but nonetheless excited for the day when I'm cadding and camming my little heart away.
Likes For ericoseveins:
Old 12-04-23, 10:51 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Could you use something like this ? I was thinking about trying to mount a Garmin Varia Radar on my Brooks via this mount.
Likes For robow:
Old 12-04-23, 11:16 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
A simple, cheap hack is to use a thick zip tie on the 2 bag hangers, mount a light with a clip.

Old 12-05-23, 03:17 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
My bad. I left out the fact that it's for a Brompton so attaching a light to the seat post or putting a bag under the seat would interfere with the fold. The light attached to my rack is the Brompton light which doesn't blink per some/many European standards. Hence, an attachment to the B-17 rails is what I'm looking for.

The round mount above won't work for my tail lights, but the zip tie idea should work if I can keep the light fairly perpendicular to the ground.
Old 12-05-23, 05:57 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by MAK
My bad. I left out the fact that it's for a Brompton so attaching a light to the seat post or putting a bag under the seat would interfere with the fold. The light attached to my rack is the Brompton light which doesn't blink per some/many European standards. Hence, an attachment to the B-17 rails is what I'm looking for.

The round mount above won't work for my tail lights, but the zip tie idea should work if I can keep the light fairly perpendicular to the ground.
One other option would be to add a light to your rack. Planet Bike on some (or maybe all?) of their lights include both the ubiquitous seatpost mount but also a seatstay mount for smaller diameter tubing. I cut some rubber from an old inner tube into a couple of strips, wrapped that around the rack tubing to make it as big as the seatstay mount. Photo shows I only have a reflector on the rack light bracket and two lights attached the way I describe using the seatstay mounts.

If you try this, put some tension on the rubber when you wrap it around the rack tubing to make the rubber grip the tubing better so it does not move later. I used a bit of tape on the rubber when done wrapping it so that it stayed there for the minute it took to deal with the seat stay bracket.

When touring, I like two lights in back. One is usually a spare, the other is flashing. The light on the left has a very narrow tight light beam straight back, but on a winding and hilly road I use the light on the right instead that has a wider beam.
Old 12-05-23, 02:58 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
You have to purchase the round interlocking disc for the one Mount above. You then attach your light to the Round Disc via many ways that can be done
Old 12-05-23, 04:07 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts

If they are like the students I see when I drive through Dartmouth, they can't aim the lights because they have a phone in one hand and a coffee in the other.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 12-05-23, 08:27 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I got one of these (example, several sources):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335048283793

And used one of these to mount a CatEye taillamp:

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/parts/5445620/

CatEye offers a direct rack-mount taillamp, too.

https://www.cateye.com/intl/products...hts/TL-LD580G/

I left out the fact that it's for a Brompton so attaching a light to the seat post or putting a bag under the seat would interfere with the fold.

Bob's your uncle:

Old 12-05-23, 08:35 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by MAK
I left out the fact that it's for a Brompton...
The new Brompton factory saddle has a mounting point for the 'official' Brompton be-seen taillamp:

Old 12-05-23, 09:00 PM
tcs
Palmer

One other option would be to add a light to your rack.
Good plan on almost any other bike. With a trifold bike, though, you'll beat the snot out of a taillamp on the end of the rack.

Ask me how I know!
Old 12-05-23, 09:09 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
I have a 3D printer, a couple of brooks and have already made a light to rear mount bracket. Give me a better description of how you want to mount and I’ll give it a go. Are you wanting to mount the light to the bag tabs at the rear of the brooks, the saddle rails, or…?
Old 12-05-23, 09:54 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Could you use something like this ? I was thinking about trying to mount a Garmin Varia Radar on my Brooks via this mount.
I did, and it works great, as long as you don't have a saddle bag.

Then there is this: https://buplabs.com/
Old 12-06-23, 12:35 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by MAK
I'm looking for a rear light bracket for my Brooks B-17 saddle. I have ... CatEye ... lights that I can use.
CatEye RM-1 Saddle Rail Bracket: