Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Windsor AM 10 Super Carrera

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-24, 06:44 AM
awrycycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 23 Posts

Old 02-28-24, 06:51 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Beautiful!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-28-24, 06:56 AM
awrycycle

sourced from san francisco.

temporary drivetrain. building it back up from singlespeed, but planning on a 1st gen superbe rear with a narrower cluster.

was also considering some windsor drop bars, but the current bars have a much nicer shine to to match the gran compe quill.

Last edited by awrycycle; 03-05-24 at 04:15 PM.
Likes For awrycycle:
Old 02-28-24, 06:57 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by awrycycle
sourced from san francisco.

temporary drivetrain. building it back up from singlespeed, but planning on a 1st gen superbe rear with a narrower cluster.

was also considering some windsor drop bars, but the current bars have a much nicer shine to to match the gran compe quill.
I pretty much ride portuer bars on everything so this looks nice to me.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-28-24, 08:00 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I had a couple of Windsor - Acer-Mex bikes and liked them. Yours is higher up in the line up than mine with wth chrome lugs, fork and stays. It sure does look nice. I even like the decals that are withering. I believe the only original components on there are the stem, headset and probably the brake calipers and crank. I like the upright setup you have with the Brooks Flyer.

Keep the pictures coming.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-28-24, 08:51 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 161 Posts
My word! This, though in black with pretty much original equipment, was my first road bike and my mount during my first serious crash. The only things I replaced over the time I had the bike were the pedals (KKT if I recall correctly, but bent a spindle) and a front Weinman rim which I tacoed. I sold the bike down the road to an old high school buddy who had it stolen out of his New Jersey flat.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 02-28-24, 08:58 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I had a couple of Windsor - Acer-Mex bikes and liked them. Yours is higher up in the line up than mine with wth chrome lugs, fork and stays. It sure does look nice. I even like the decals that are withering. I believe the only original components on there are the stem, headset and probably the brake calipers and crank. I like the upright setup you have with the Brooks Flyer.

Keep the pictures coming.
Interesting. The folks bought me one for my birthday in 1979. Mine came out of the shop with Weinmann concave rims and pretty much Shimano 600 equipment as I recall. I forget the rubber that was there, but that will get changed out lots if one's putting in good mileage. I'm still in the same town riding the same roads though not today. Yesterday, it was bare leg weather, and I got in 30 slowish miles; today it's 17°F with snow. Positively psychotic weather right now.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 02-28-24, 10:00 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I even like the decals that are withering.
Is the style decals in the photos in post #1 pre- or post- date the blue/white "surfboard" style I've commonly seen (and which I put on my wife's Pro)? The all-gold ones in post #1 look quite classy.

Old 02-28-24, 10:06 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Very nice! I have a 1973ish Windsor Pro that I love to ride. It is a very well made bike and easily runs 700 x 28 tires . They really don't get the respect they deserve IMHO , although there are folks on this forum that have them and love them. Yours is one of the touring , later edition models and that is a nice set up. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-28-24, 10:56 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Nice looking Bike. I have a soft spot for Windsors .
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-28-24, 11:29 AM
MooneyBloke

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Very nice! I have a 1973ish Windsor Pro that I love to ride. It is a very well made bike and easily runs 700 x 28 tires . They really don't get the respect they deserve IMHO , although there are folks on this forum that have them and love them. Yours is one of the touring , later edition models and that is a nice set up. Joe
I thought the S.C. was more or less a sport-touring bike rather than a pure touring bike.
Old 02-28-24, 11:38 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

thanks very much for sharing this example

California had two or three Acer-Mex importer-distributors at this time

as recalled, there were two in the San Diego area and one in the Los Angeles area

they may have not all been going at once...

curious if steerer/stem size is the .833

carries some details of the regular Carrera Sport such as Gran Compe stem, Tange MA-60 headset & MAEDA ends set

is shell the 68mm Italian thread one?

thanks for any information

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-28-24 at 12:24 PM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-28-24, 12:08 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Catalog page courtesy of @juvela from a previous Windsor posting:

Windsor AM-10 and AM-3
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-28-24, 12:18 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
I think Windsors are beautiful. And the whole hour record/Colnago/Windsor drama makes me laugh. The amount of cheek necessary to pull that off…

I was at the big Seattle co-op yesterday and had to laugh at how far they have taken their marketing with something they had no involvement with

they have a bike called the hour.
Old 02-28-24, 12:21 PM
Velo Mule

The bike dealership that I worked at was a Windsor retailer. My parents bought an International for me there. By the time I worked at the shop they were gone from the dealers floor. We did get to work on them a lot. We considered the bottom bracket to be Mexican. Italian threading with English width.

The Windsor sales in the US seemed to have lasted only a handful of years. Too bad. They were nice bikes and a good value at the time. And a poster of Eddy Merckx riding a Windsor. Controversies in the bicycle marketing and even manufacturing is a constant.

I will admit that an 15 year old me was swayed by that poster. I know it wasn't the same bike, but it was the same brand as Eddy Merckx rode so it must be good. I still like Windsor regardless. They made good bikes.

It is interesting to note that someone bought/acquired/resurrected the Windsor name again for bicycles.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-28-24, 01:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I was at the big Seattle co-op yesterday and had to laugh at how far they have taken their marketing with something they had no involvement with. they have a bike called the hour.
Get real. That's not a vintage Mexican bike. That's a Taiwanese or Chinese bike.

And do you know how to delete your duplicate posts? It's really easy.
Old 02-28-24, 05:20 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I have a '78 Super Carrera (that I need to post one of the days also). It's probably slightly later than the OP's, with brazed-on top tube guides and no dropout eyelets, but other than that looks the same. It's got English threads and standard dimensions for everything. Tight racing geometry, very responsive bike and fun to ride. The Super Carrera and Profesional both have a similar appearance to the Cinelli Special Corsa with the fastback seatstays, chromed long-point lugs, and I think similar angles. The Pro has Columbus SL or SP tubing and Campagolo dropouts, while the Super Carrera has Tange Champion #2 tubing and Suntour dropouts, and they look almost identical except for a few details. I think later Pro's also used Tange/Suntour frame materials. I consider the frames themselves equal in quality (mine has pretty clean brazing all around) but the Pro was higher up in the catalog because of the more expensive and prestigious Campagnolo components.
Likes For kroozer:
Old 02-28-24, 07:11 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Get real. That's not a vintage Mexican bike. That's a Taiwanese or Chinese bike.

Look at all of the boxes checked: steel tubing, rim brakes, toe clips, raked fork, homage to those dedicated Mexican artisans:
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...ng-bikes-v.htm
Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-28-24, 07:40 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

wasn’t aware until now it was a multiple post.

but I’m an idiot. We all know that Bill.
Old 02-28-24, 10:08 PM
awrycycle

stem is standard.

nice to have an ID on the headset.

bb shell is 68mm, but unsure on threading. chose not to go at the fixed cup, not without a proper 35mm spanner. I actually don’t remember if the cups are even marked with anything other than sugino & japan, but I’ll take another peek at some point.
Old 02-28-24, 10:09 PM
awrycycle

Likes For awrycycle: