Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Sunset of Suntour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Sunset of Suntour

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-23, 12:00 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3565 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Back when I cared about such things, one of the main attractions of Campagnolo was STABILITY. Thankfully, they did not change their models every year and provided spare parts at rational prices.
And now, they're almost irrelevant. But, to turn a phrase, "Who cares, they did it to themselves?"
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-12-23, 02:21 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
And now, they're almost irrelevant. But, to turn a phrase, "Who cares, they did it to themselves?"
I am not understanding your reply. Please explain.

To clarify, my comments are meant in a historical context, as in, even when it was going on I did not care that much about it. I used to have some of the products but reverted to Nuovo Record a long time ago.

These days, Suntour only interests me because they are C&V. I still have a Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur in my parts box. I also have a 1st gen Dura Ace brake set but the Shimano Crane derailleurs are long gone.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 07-12-23 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-12-23, 02:24 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I am not understanding your reply. Please explain.
That's OK. Forget I even wrote it.
Old 07-13-23, 11:58 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
In 1951, a series of Japan versus U.S. bicycle races were held in Japan. French racing bicycles
with Simplex derailleurs were brought to Japan for the races.
Americans vs Japanese cyclists on French bikes? American cyclists on American bikes vs Japanese cyclists on French bikes? Japanese cyclists racing each other on American and French bikes?
Old 07-13-23, 12:09 PM
capt_velo

Campy is still very relevant. Their gravel groupset, Ekar, is a selling very well. They also own Fulcrum wheels.
Old 07-13-23, 12:52 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by capt_velo
Campy is still very relevant. Their gravel groupset, Ekar, is a selling very well. They also own Fulcrum wheels.
One team in the Tour? Out of 18? I'm calling irrelevance. Or if it helps you, how about way, way less relevant that Shimano?
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-13-23, 02:29 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
One team in the Tour? Out of 18? I'm calling irrelevance. Or if it helps you, how about way, way less relevant that Shimano?
Jumbo Visma needed a scapegoat for a few tours ago- their lead rider dropped and jammed his Campagnolo chain, a painful wait for another bike. They still had issues later and I recall migrated to Shimano and now SRAM.

this year Astana has had multiple component issues. Cavendish having trouble holding a cog this tour and one other GC blow.

which leads to a commentary of pay to play.
at one time Campagnolo did not have to do much to be used by the pros. The pockets of Shimano and SRAM are I would think much deeper to pay to be used. Takes more than tech support and free goods.

too bad that Campagnolo is not more used, sad that the Colnago Supplied tour bikes no longer use Campagnolo, but Ernesto sold out, all for the bean counters now. Historical alliances mean little.

Gone are the wheel changes, now it is just swap bikes- so much for through axle serviceability and disc alignment.

Waiting for a microshift supplied team, only a matter of time.

maybe after a fiend hacks into a bike and the rider loses control of shifting, the return of cable shift. Analog to the rescue.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-13-23, 04:53 PM
capt_velo

Originally Posted by repechage

this year Astana has had multiple component issues. Cavendish having trouble holding a cog this tour and one other GC blow.

Astana is using Shimano Dura Ace according to Bike Radar. In fact, just about everyone is using Shimano. I see only one Campy team and three SRAM teams.
Likes For capt_velo: