Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a used Specialized AWOL

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 09:07 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

I'm considering buying a Specialized AWOL on the used market. I've heard that the frames are not reliable and are prone to cracking in the chainstay area.

How common is this? I can bring a magnifying glass along for inspection. Specialized won't honour a lifetime warranty to 3rd party frame owners I'm sure.
Old 12-22-23, 10:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,575 Times in 4,225 Posts
Yes, bring a magnifying glass and don't forget a flashlight to help illuminate any cracks.
That will go well, I'm sure.**
Old 12-22-23, 10:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 1,041 Times in 734 Posts
You shouldn't need a magnifying glass, just a light so you can clearly see in the crankset/bb area, or just check it out in the middle of a sunny day. If you're worried about cracks you really want to look closely along the edges of the welds, I've seen a couple cracks down the middle of a poor weld but most I've seen are along the edges of the welds. You can also look for crack like crazing in the paint, if there's a strongly defined line in the paint that looks like the paint is cracking or splitting it has a strong chance of being the frame crack stressing the paint, white can show this well, black not as much. Of course, if I was looking for a newish bike, I'd avoid the one that has a known penchant for cracking, not reason to buy someone else's issues with your good money.
Old 12-23-23, 05:29 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
I worked in a Specialized shop during the AWOL period and never encountered a failed frame. Didn't sell many of them as they are kind of an odd ball bike that didn't really fit their line up all that well. As for a lifetime warranty it only applies to the original purchaser of the bike. The warranty does not follow the bike.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 12-23-23, 07:21 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Of course, if I was looking for a newish bike, I'd avoid the one that has a known penchant for cracking, not reason to buy someone else's issues with your good money.
My sentiments exactly. I think I'm going to walk on this bike. Damn. It's just so difficult to find a decent bike in my size in these parts especially for the deal this guy was selling for. Oh well. Tnxs to Russ and Thab for the input.
Old 12-23-23, 09:44 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
My sentiments exactly. I think I'm going to walk on this bike. Damn. It's just so difficult to find a decent bike in my size in these parts especially for the deal this guy was selling for. Oh well. Tnxs to Russ and Thab for the input.
The real question here is whether this "reputation" is based on fact or rumor. Many years ago, Cannondale had a reputation for cracked frames, but in reality it was because so many were sold that nearly everyone knew somebody who knew somebody with a cracked frame. In fact there is effectively zero data on which to make these kinds of claims. I'm not saying the bike you're looking at will be just fine, just that there are always rumors in the bike business and they are seldom based on actual data.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 12-23-23, 11:26 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hi Kerry, I've already told the guy I'm going to pass on the AWOL. Over the last decade I've managed to snap 3 steel frames at different points on the frame. I just didn't want another potential one.

Failure 1

Failure 2

Failure 3 was a snapped dropout on a GT Timberline that I don't have pictures for.

I searched this BF post for feedback on the AWOL which helped make a decision. There are other bikes out there which don't have the same failure rate as this model apparently has. Anyways, the die is cast.
Old 12-23-23, 06:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
I didn't have the AWOL or Sequoia issues in the 40 or so we sold over the years. However I personally would rather be the original owner on it but that is just me having had to use their lifetime warranty on my 11 year old Langster (aluminum frame) which eventually developed a crack in the bottom bracket.

I would look at Co-Motion for a touring bike though. The reason I wanted an AWOL was purely for the switch for the charger or lights I think the gearing on it wasn't ideal it was more of a road triple than a touring triple but it was a neat idea. Though I did own a Sequoia frame but didn't build it up because I didn't have the funds to build it at the time and then a customer got excited and wanted to build it so I sold it and got a little extra cash to put towards something else.