Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Pearl Izumi shoes...like/no like these?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 01:44 PM
jimx200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a frequent shopper at Sierra Trading Post and have been looking for my first pair of MTB shoes and found these. Opinions on the brand Pearl Izumi would be appreciated, and thinking of going with Crank Bros. Candy (assuming these are same as eggbeaters?). I also plan to use these shoes with my road bike (new pedals needed there too). Deal or no deal? BTW, I have a 20% off coupon to apply which gets them in the mid $40. range. Thanks, your help and experience is appreciated.

https://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...&cdf=TopSeller
Old 03-30-08, 01:49 PM
jimx200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, dummy me...I now realize they make Candy, Eggbeater, and Shorty and each is different...guidance here please. Fwiw, I'm 6-2/215 and would like the same setup on both of my road/mtb.
Old 03-30-08, 02:15 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimx200
OK, dummy me...I now realize they make Candy, Eggbeater, and Shorty and each is different...guidance here please. Fwiw, I'm 6-2/215 and would like the same setup on both of my road/mtb.
Eggbeater's for road bike. Decide if you want platform or not on your MTB (can use egg beater, candy, acid or mallets). Use one pair of mountain shoes for both bikes.
Old 03-30-08, 02:21 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victim
Eggbeater's for road bike. Decide if you want platform or not on your MTB (can use egg beater, candy, acid or mallets). Use one pair of mountain shoes for both bikes.
This post is as useless as it is inaccurate.
Old 03-30-08, 02:21 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also I like to get my shoes from LBS even though I shop on line alot, purely for fit reasons. Shoes last quite awhile, hate to end up with ill fitting ones. Those shoes in your link look like a good deal though.
Old 03-30-08, 02:23 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BenLi
OK. I take it back, enlighten us then.
Old 03-30-08, 02:26 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eggbeater's for road bike.
Wrong.

Decide if you want platform or not on your MTB (can use egg beater, candy, acid or mallets).
None of the pedals that you listed are platform pedals.
Old 03-30-08, 02:27 PM
Danolink
Tour de Nebraska

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix,2008 Moto Messenger fixed/ss,2005 Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Shoes and Sizing

I just purchased new Pearl Izumi R4 vagabond road shoe from performance.
Just a note on size they had a chart and the Izumi shoes generally run a size big.
I wear a size 9 shoe USA and was going to order a 43 until read their chart I ordered a 42 and they are a perfect fit.
Now the shimano chart says a USA size 9 should be a size 43.
If you can't find the chart go to Performancebike.com and look at their size chart.
I haven't used mine much yet but they seem to be comfortable.
Good Luck.
Old 03-30-08, 02:28 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wrong.

None of the pedals that you listed are platform pedals.
Clipless with a platform, I thought that could go without mentioning, guess not. Why not eggbeater's on a road bike?
Old 03-30-08, 02:34 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clipless with a platform, I thought that could go without mentioning, guess not. Why not eggbeater's on a road bike?
Eggbeaters are not just for road bike. There are plenty of folks who use them for mountain biking, something that the OP should consider.

I would also advise going back and reading the OP. He is asking for shoes for both mtn and road, as opposed to pedals.
Old 03-30-08, 02:37 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is it useless and inaccurate? Put eggbeaters on the roadie, choose from one of the others for the mountain bike, and then you only need one pair of shoes. I think that's sensible.
Old 03-30-08, 02:38 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eggbeaters are not just for road bike. There are plenty of folks who use them for mountain biking, something that the OP should consider.

I would also advise going back and reading the OP. He is asking for shoes for both mtn and road, as opposed to pedals.
He want's one pair of shoes for both road and mountain bike. He needs pedals for both bikes. Still don't seem how my post was wrong. It was vauge, I guess. I keep things too short. I will keep my advice to myself and leave it to the IIE (internet instant experts).
Old 03-30-08, 02:56 PM
jimx200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Just to make sure I get this right: looking for 1 pair of shoes to ride either mtb or road. I plan to get pedals for both bikes. I do like the "platform" style as it may give me more support (size 12 shoe) when cranking on the mtb...yes/no? Is there a "do it all" pedal that would work well for both?

And thanks for the heads up on Performance (Sacramento has a store). I'm a member and will stop in for a fitting...thanks for the reminder on shoe fit.
Old 03-30-08, 03:16 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Just to make sure I get this right: looking for 1 pair of shoes to ride either mtb or road. I plan to get pedals for both bikes. I do like the "platform" style as it may give me more support (size 12 shoe) when cranking on the mtb...yes/no? Is there a "do it all" pedal that would work well for both?

And thanks for the heads up on Performance (Sacramento has a store). I'm a member and will stop in for a fitting...thanks for the reminder on shoe fit.
I have candy sl's on my MTB presently. I weigh close to you. You can crank on eggbeaters just fine, i like the platform though. I think it helps on restarts on technical climbs. You can pedal a few cranks before clipping in. Other than that it's a wash to me.
Old 03-30-08, 03:28 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He want's one pair of shoes for both road and mountain bike. He needs pedals for both bikes. Still don't seem how my post was wrong. It was vauge, I guess. I keep things too short. I will keep my advice to myself and leave it to the IIE (internet instant experts).
What's wrong with putting candy pedals on a road bike? Why are the eggbeaters his only choice for the road?
Old 03-30-08, 03:28 PM
FF 6800

Bikes: 2005 Specialized hardrock pro... pike426, e.13 drs, fsa gap crank, formula k24's, and some more/2006 Scattante R-660 easton circuit wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is what I do for my roadie and mountainbike. As for the OP, the mechanism in crank bro's pedals that is used to keep you clip in is all the same design, but can be made out of different materials as seen in the 5 or so different variations of the candy. Another difference in crank brothers pedals is the varying size (or absence) of a platform. I do not know about the quality of their shoes, but i have several pairs of peal izumi shorts and they seem to be holding up fine. Good luck
Old 03-30-08, 03:45 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with putting candy pedals on a road bike? Why are the eggbeaters his only choice for the road?
You can. You win Ben Li. You are much smarter than me.
Old 03-30-08, 03:53 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are much smarter than me.
You are missing the point.
Old 03-30-08, 04:54 PM
victim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are missing the point.
Ok, I'll bite. You misread the OP, you misconstrued my reply. You called my reply "useless" and "inaccurate", which you were wrong on both counts. So, the point is, as I see it: why are you biting at my ankles mr. Pete F wannabe. No offense to the real Pete F
Old 03-30-08, 05:09 PM
Cyclist30907654
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. You misread the OP, you misconstrued my reply. You called my reply "useless" and "inaccurate", which you were wrong on both counts. So, the point is, as I see it: why are you biting at my ankles mr. Pete F wannabe. No offense to the real Pete F
The original poster asked about shoes and pedals for both mountain and road riding. I'll ask my questions again. Why should the OP necessarily use the eggbeaters for road? Especially when crankbrothers have a specialized road line of products? And what's inherently wrong with using an eggbeater based pedal with a platform for the road?

The OP also indicated that he knew the difference between the pedals, and simply to get advice about which to pick. Seeing as he already knew the differences between the different lines, primarily the presence or lack of a platform, saying "Decide if you want platform or not on your MTB (can use egg beater, candy, acid or mallets)." is pretty useless.

Though, it is true the OP should use mountain shoes for both applications.

I make no pretense at imitating Pete Fagerlin, though I sympathize with his cause.
Old 03-30-08, 06:42 PM
Old School

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a frequent shopper at Sierra Trading Post and have been looking for my first pair of MTB shoes and found these. Opinions on the brand Pearl Izumi would be appreciated, and thinking of going with Crank Bros. Candy (assuming these are same as eggbeaters?). I also plan to use these shoes with my road bike (new pedals needed there too). Deal or no deal? BTW, I have a 20% off coupon to apply which gets them in the mid $40. range. Thanks, your help and experience is appreciated.]
And now back to our regular programming...

I use the PI Vagabonds with clipless SPD pedals on my road bike. They have been very satisfactory shoes for the price.
Old 04-01-08, 03:26 PM
probable556
pedal head

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PI's are decent shoes. They are not as nice as top of the line Shimano or Sidi's but they do the trick. Most important thing is how they fit...
Old 04-01-08, 07:00 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, BikeForums.

I use one form of Eggbeaters or another on all of my (our) bikes. Eggbeater SL's on the road bike, Eggbeater 2Ti's on my Fuel, Mallet 1's on my Dad's Fuel and I'm putting Mallet 1's on my soon-to-be dirt jumper.

Crank Bros. makes the Quattro, a road version of the Eggbeater. Just for future reference. The only problem with MTB shoes on the road is that the MTB shoes are a little flexier as not to totally inhibit walking.
Old 04-01-08, 08:37 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of time that flex is in the toe where you won't really feel it in pedaling. I've owned road shoes that were flexier than the mountain shoes I had at the time :/ . But I see what you're saying.

I'm wearing some pearl izumis as I type, actually. Maybe not the same model ( I can't see the model name and I'm too lazy to take them of and look for it) but they're of a similar level. In fact they might be vagabonds from a diferent year. They're good for the price, but they've gotten a bit flexier with the miles (about 7-8000, maybe 0% off-road). But they are well-made and hold up nicely. One thing I don't like is the tread pattern. From the side it loooks spiky and aggressive, but on the botom it's really pretty flat except for the very toe. Not a fan of this, especially since I started racing cross. I can't tell if the shoes pictured are the same way, but it looks as though they might be.

All this said, shoes are one of the few things I personally really would want to try out before buying.
Old 04-02-08, 04:14 PM
ProFail
Generic Title

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX7, 2007 Trek 1600, 2007 Eastern Warthog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I really notice toe flex when riding my road bike with my SIDI's. Not that there's anything wrong with it; they're designed that way. But for a road bike, road shoes are the way to go.

I still use MTB shoes on my roadie though. I'm too cheap to buy a set of road shoes..... Actually, I take that back. I'm to lazy too put the adapter on my road shoes then put the Eggbeater cleats on them.