Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Advice

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bike Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 04:55 AM
Biyker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Advice

Good day,

I am a fairly new person for bike and need advices.
Let me tell you my story.

1. I don't ride everyday. I may ride once or twice a week with my won, I am 5'7" and my son 4" 6".
2. Last bike I owned had a bad seat cushion that hurt my back and butt, more than 10 years single gear old bike. So, ride comfort is the top choice if I have to choose among many things.
3. No mountain ride. Just local, park, and maybe sometimes park trails.
4. I am trying not to spend much budget on it, just want to have a fun with my son.
5. Will 2 folding bikes fit my vehicle trunk? I have a 2012 Honda CR-V. I don't have a garage nor driveway. No where I can store the 2 bikes and hitch mount rack is not an option for me. How about 3 of them if my daughter wants it later? Will all fit in there?

As far as I know, Zizzo and Dahon are good name brands with folding bike with better budget.
But I found a Zizzo Campo sales on Target, $225 each.

Will Zizzo Campo fit my needs?

Thanks
Likes For Biyker:
Old 09-08-23, 07:20 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Sounds like they will be good. You may have to fold down the rear seat. I am not that familiar with the Cr-v, but they should fit with the seats down. I have a Zizzo Liberte and like it a lot. I think all Zizzo's use the same frame.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-08-23, 09:57 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Biyker
Good day,

I am a fairly new person for bike and need advices.
Let me tell you my story.

1. I don't ride everyday. I may ride once or twice a week with my won, I am 5'7" and my son 4" 6".
2. Last bike I owned had a bad seat cushion that hurt my back and butt, more than 10 years single gear old bike. So, ride comfort is the top choice if I have to choose among many things.
3. No mountain ride. Just local, park, and maybe sometimes park trails.
4. I am trying not to spend much budget on it, just want to have a fun with my son.
5. Will 2 folding bikes fit my vehicle trunk? I have a 2012 Honda CR-V. I don't have a garage nor driveway. No where I can store the 2 bikes and hitch mount rack is not an option for me. How about 3 of them if my daughter wants it later? Will all fit in there?

As far as I know, Zizzo and Dahon are good name brands with folding bike with better budget.

Thanks
It's a solid deal. Grab it! Here's the Zizzo website listing. https://zizzo.bike/products/campo-2022-model
Old 09-09-23, 07:11 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
If ride comfort is the the top choice, I'd stay away from any cheap folding bike.

Why? Cheap folders are an ongoing exercise in frustration. For folders, so much of the design has to go into making the frame safe (i.e., not folding as you ride) that there is little left for components or anything else.

So as a result: Poorly fitting frame hinges; low-rent parts that barely do the job; folded frames with parts hanging out; and often one-size-fits-all that really means, one size fits no one, meaning an uncomfortable ride at best.

If you really want a folding bike of any sort, I'd suggest doing anything to get a test ride on one. It helps to be able to sort out what you like, and what you don't. Spend some time folding and unfolding. Carry the folded bike around to see how it balances (or doesn't). See if the frame actually fits you. If it doesn't, pass.

So many folks go into folding bikes thinking wow, here's a solution to my problem! Only to realize, whoa, this bike has so many problems, I don't know where to start. This is why I see so many cheap folders on the used market. They don't do the job they're intended to, and the new owners sell them off rather than dealing with that ongoing frustration. I'd hate to see you in the same situation.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 09-09-23, 10:31 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by bargainguy
If ride comfort is the the top choice, I'd stay away from any cheap folding bike.

Why? Cheap folders are an ongoing exercise in frustration. For folders, so much of the design has to go into making the frame safe (i.e., not folding as you ride) that there is little left for components or anything else.

So as a result: Poorly fitting frame hinges; low-rent parts that barely do the job; folded frames with parts hanging out; and often one-size-fits-all that really means, one size fits no one, meaning an uncomfortable ride at best.

If you really want a folding bike of any sort, I'd suggest doing anything to get a test ride on one. It helps to be able to sort out what you like, and what you don't. Spend some time folding and unfolding. Carry the folded bike around to see how it balances (or doesn't). See if the frame actually fits you. If it doesn't, pass.

So many folks go into folding bikes thinking wow, here's a solution to my problem! Only to realize, whoa, this bike has so many problems, I don't know where to start. This is why I see so many cheap folders on the used market. They don't do the job they're intended to, and the new owners sell them off rather than dealing with that ongoing frustration. I'd hate to see you in the same situation.
Perhaps fifteen years ago, I might have agreed with you about cheap folding bikes. However, many manufactures of inexpensive bikes do make good, stiff frames. I think my Xootr Swift (no longer in production) and my Zizzo, are nearly as comfortable as my full size bikes that I owned. I did put 2" balloon tires on both bikes. The only real draw back comes from small wheels, and that something I am willing to put up with. Besides, the OP wants to be able to put both bikes in the back of a small SUV.

I do acknowledge that there are many cheap folders to stay clear of, but I could same the same for non folders.
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 09-09-23, 11:36 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
All bicycles are a compromise between performance, comfort, size, availabilty, quality and price. A small wheel (20 inch) non foldable minivelo could be an option. A decent quality folding bike could also work given the use scenario.

Last edited by jfouellette; 09-09-23 at 12:04 PM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-11-23, 08:05 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Perhaps fifteen years ago, I might have agreed with you about cheap folding bikes. However, many manufactures of inexpensive bikes do make good, stiff frames. I think my Xootr Swift (no longer in production).
Although Xooter no longer makes the Swift, Origami has begun producing it (with the approval of Peter Reich) and will begin shipping them next week.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-11-23, 08:24 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by Pinigis
Although Xooter no longer makes the Swift, Origami has begun producing it (with the approval of Peter Reich) and will begin shipping them next week.
Yea! I will be closely following the reviews.
Old 09-11-23, 09:43 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Biyker

Thanks
The Zizzo Campo looks like a solidly average middle fold bike and it will probably fit you needs. You'll be able to fit 2 (and possibly 3 at a squeeze) in the back of your car.

Something nobody seems to have mentioned already is that if space is a primary consideration for you you might consider a 16" folder instead of one with 20" wheels. This will further reduce the footprint of the bike(s) and make storing and transporting them in a car even easier. The trade-off though is that the smaller wheels will be less comfortable over rough terrain and the bike will possibly be a bit undergeared if speed is important to you. However, from your description of your needs 16" wheels might be worth considering, especially if you're not taking on anything rougher than hard-packed gravel trails through parkland.

Zizzo might even have a 16" that's worth examining.

Origami offers a 16" folder called the "Lotus", albeit at a somewhat higher price point than the Zizzo Campo you mentioned in your comment. The owner of Origami has already commented on this thread about his upcoming Swift folder which is a 20" bike that I'm very interested in (I've been riding the out of production Xootr version for several years now and more or less retired my road bike it's that good!). Anyway, although the Swift might be a choice for you to consider, some people think that the fold is ungainly. Also, if you're really only ever going to ride your bike around the neighborhood it's good attributes might exceed your needs. The upside would be that if you found yourself riding much more than you expected and loving it, the Swift will be a great and versatile steed. Do have a look at the Origami Lotus though.
https://www.origamibicycles.com/shop/p/lotus

Paul (the owner of Origami) has commented on this topic already. If you decide you want to buy from his company he might knock a bit off the price, especially if you were to buy multiple bikes for your family in the same order. I get the impression he likes to keep his stock moving and he's obviously proud of his products and wants them out in the world getting used and enjoyed.

Another possible option to consider (especially if you decide a 16" bike works best) is Fnhon bikes, which come from China. I don't personally have experience with these, but they look very handsome, well built/designed and I think that I won't get into too much trouble on bike forums if I say they have a good reputation.

Good luck!
​​​​

Last edited by joey buzzard; 09-11-23 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-11-23, 10:27 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
The Zizzo Campo looks like a solidly average middle fold bike and it will probably fit you needs. You'll be able to fit 2 (and possibly 3 at a squeeze) in the back of your car.

Paul (the owner of Origami) has commented on this topic already. If you decide you want to buy from his company he might knock a bit off the price, especially if you were to buy multiple bikes for your family in the same order. I get the impression he likes to keep his stock moving and he's obviously proud of his products and wants them out in the world getting used and enjoyed.

​​​​
Yes, if you are looking at more than one bike, we can help you out. Just contact me at paul@origamibicycles.com
Old 10-21-23, 08:17 AM
Gilzuma

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Zizzo Campo looks like a very good deal. The gear range is limited, but is easily remedied by an upgrade to a wider range rear drive train. You can very easily without too much money upgrade to an 8 speed 11-36t which would give you some really nice uphill gears and speedy downhill gears too.

The weight isn't bad, and they fold up real nice and small. 20" wheel I have found to be a real sweet spot for riding.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-21-23, 12:11 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilzuma
The Zizzo Campo looks like a very good deal. The gear range is limited, but is easily remedied by an upgrade to a wider range rear drive train. You can very easily without too much money upgrade to an 8 speed 11-36t which would give you some really nice uphill gears and speedy downhill gears too.

The weight isn't bad, and they fold up real nice and small. 20" wheel I have found to be a real sweet spot for riding.

Good luck and enjoy!
The Zizzo Campo is a solid, low cost bike, but if the OP wants to upgrade the drivetrain it's not a "simple fix". The Campo is a 7 speed and has a freewheel. The max it can use is 7 speed. If the op decided to upgrade to 8 or 9 speed it would mean they would need to replace the entire back wheel to a cassette setup. The rear derailleur most likely would also need to be replaced, as well as the shifter. In that case I'd personally recommend getting an 8 speed right off the bat. The few $$$ extra for an already made option would be the wise choice. Otherwise, there's no way to upgrade a 7 speed freewheel to 8 speeds WITHOUT buying the rear wheel and all accessories required.
Old 10-21-23, 06:05 PM
Gilzuma

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You’re absolutely right. I’m sorry I messed that up. It is complicated if you go to an 8speed or higher. Sorry for the confusion I caused.
Old 10-25-23, 05:05 AM
Dockhead

Bikes: Riese & Müller Multicharger GT 750; Dahon Jetstream EX

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilzuma
. . . I have found to be a real sweet spot for riding.
. . .
I agree that 20" is the sweet spot. Rides great; in some ways better than 700c -- more agile, better acceleration, less drag. Only downside is downhill stability. Smaller than that rides much worse. But the downside of 20" compared to smaller like 16" Bromptons is the folded bike is much less compact.

I love my 20" Dahon Jetstream but it was too bulky to store on my boat.