Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Origami Swift - Thoughts, Ideas For a New Version of a Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 06:32 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
In any case, we can't know whether we can build a Swift with higher quality components on our own for $460 if the part-by-part spec sheet of the complete bike is not made available for reference. Before spending $900 on a complete bike, I would like to know the components on it. For example, much is made of the 11-42T cogset. Is it and the RD and shifter with which it is mated Shimano (or SRAM, the two segment leaders)? What make are the disc brakes?
I appreciate your input Ron. Here in North America I think it would be difficult even using the Origami Lotus spec'd Sensah drivetrain and Kamros hydraulic disc brake set. A poster above floated the idea of using his folder as a donor bike. This would make economic sense because his only major expenditure would involve converting his rim brake wheelset to disc OR brazing brake studs onto the Swift frameset.

Last edited by GeezyRider; 06-16-23 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-16-23, 01:16 PM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
LoLz. "Kinda free publicity..."

Wasn't aware that you're a famous celebrity, Ron. Do you have a YouTube channel or are you mostly on TikTok? Maybe I'll tune into your content. Celebrity chefs are getting to be just a little pasé, so maybe it's time to watch some genius celebrity bike mechanic like yourself giving up the dirt on best practices regarding how to drink beer and order cheap components from Asia. I'm sure that millions of people are already subscribed and they'll heed your gold plated endorsement of any product you feature on your podcast. A $460 item in exchange for such publicity is sorta like the same as free. lol. lol. And... lol. And thanks for all the entertainment!
Yeah, you're just still sore and stinging from calling you out on pooh-poohing Big Apples while recommending Marathon touring tires for speed on that other thread. That was the real entertainment. You must definitely not have a YT channel. 🤣🤣🤣

I am now convinced Pinigis's Swift is the perfect bike for you. It comes with a 58T front ring which makes it faster (Right, Paul?)...and...and...a rack to schlepp stuff and just-as-speedy-as-Marathons 47-406 Kenda Kontacts. Get your Yellow Jersey out. Joder, tío, con esta bici china ahora sí vas a poder sumarte al pelotón allá en Andalucía. 😉

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-16-23 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 03:06 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Yeah, you're just still sore and stinging from calling you out on looking down on Big Apples while recommending Marathon touring tires for speed on that other thread. That was the real entertainment. 🤣🤣🤣

I am now convinced Pinigis's Swift is the perfect bike for you. It comes with a 58T front ring which makes it faster (Right, Paul?)...and...and...a rack to schlepp stuff and just-as-speedy-as-Marathons 47-406 Kenda Kontacts. Get your Yellow Jersey out. Joder, tío, con esta bici china ahora sí vas a poder sumarte al pelotón allá en Andalucía. 😉
Yes, at the same cadence, a 58T is going to be significantly faster than a 52T.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 06-16-23, 07:56 PM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Yeah, you're just still sore and stinging from calling you out on pooh-poohing Big Apples while recommending Marathon touring tires for speed on that other thread. That was the real entertainment. You must definitely not have a YT channel. 🤣🤣🤣

Hey Ron,
​​​​​​My comments regarding regular Marathon tires in the context of the thread I was commenting on two or three weeks ago was spot on. My Marathons are rated 100 psi. For my purposes they're supple and fast enough and they last a long time. Even though mostly I ride the beautiful Spanish paved highways I also ride lots of kilometers on rock strewn unpaved mountain tracks. The Marathons don't wear out and don't get punctures. The thread you mention was started by a nooby guy asking about tires. Assuming he's a commuter who possibly might value both speed and durability, Marathons were not a bad recomendation, even over Big Apples. Your response was condescending and passive aggressive towards me. Now you make fun of me for being in Andalusia? Is Hawaii (or wherever you are) not exciting enough? Granada province. Las Alpujarras. What a great place to ride a bike. I highly recommend it to you actually. You're invited to visit and make a dick of yourself anytime. I could show you some nice bike rides. My friend has a cortijo six hundred meters above where I live. The village with the grocery store above him (Bubión) is another 400 meters higher. It's usually 10c cooler up in Bubión than where I live. Which is nice on Spain. Oh, and no need to carry a water bottle because there are springs every few km along the road and fresh water splutters out of drinking fountains in every village. I hope you understand metric besides in bike wrench measurements. In the meantime check out Marcus Aurelius and his book Meditations. It might help you forget that big fragile ego,

The new Swift looks good to me. I don't get your negativity. Maybe you always need to pick out an enemy?Are you simply an attention seeker? I kind of wonder why the moderators don't control you a little more. You've started threads here which in my opinion violate the forum rules. Should "Ron's Parts Bin" really be allowed? Imagine if everyone started a topic like that! It lowers the tone. Maybe it's harmless enough because nobody cares and it's just you, but most people would be required to use the "Market Place" thread if they want to sell tat. What are you really contributing here?

Last edited by joey buzzard; 06-16-23 at 09:02 PM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 06-17-23, 12:40 AM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I love the subtle graphic of the paper origami swift bird on that top tube. It looks very pretty. +1 style points.
Just chiming in to say that looks gorgeous.

The Origami Swift is looking more and more like my ideal of an everyday bike. I like to feel the bike working under me reasonably efficiently, but also be able to get to work without messing up my outfit. I also haul milk and groceries. I want to be able to mod it as needed.

As a bonus, it folds.
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-17-23, 02:18 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Yes, at the same cadence, a 58T is going to be significantly faster than a 52T.
Correct, a common issue with small-wheelers is they don't have a high enough high gear and the rider spins out on a bike they could ride faster with said higher gear. The 58t ring sounds like good spec.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 06-18-23, 05:47 PM
stargazer48

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I got back to biking after a hiatis of 7 years due to hip problems. Bought a Zizzo Liberte, a cheap light speedy bike which came with a 48T front chain ring. Within 3 months, I upgrade to a 52T. Still found myself spinning on flats so I went to a 60T. I am zipping along very nicely now.
Likes For stargazer48:
Old 07-17-23, 02:59 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This new Swift is so exciting to me that I even figured out my old bikeforums password.

The one I built up a while back (https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...ter-tutor.html) has a divot eaten out of one chainstay by the big fat Marathon Plus tires I used in the city, so I'm thinking maybe transfer the IGH, Cross Rack, etc. over to a nice new green frame. It still barely fits in a Samsonite case, right?
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Likes For noteon:
Old 07-18-23, 08:42 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by noteon
This new Swift is so exciting to me that I even figured out my old bikeforums password.

The one I built up a while back (https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...ter-tutor.html) has a divot eaten out of one chainstay by the big fat Marathon Plus tires I used in the city, so I'm thinking maybe transfer the IGH, Cross Rack, etc. over to a nice new green frame. It still barely fits in a Samsonite case, right?
It should still fit in the same case.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 08-18-23, 12:43 AM
mlau

Any reviews yet?

I want one.
Old 08-18-23, 06:55 AM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by mlau
Any reviews yet?

I want one.
Well, not quite yet. The bikes are complete and on their way to our warehouse, so we expect to begin delivery on September 15th.

We had a delay because I wasn't happy with one aspect and we had to remake and part and reassemble the bikes. I hope that the delay is forgiven.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 09-04-23, 06:46 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
15% off with this code for Labor Day: LDAY15
Old 09-12-23, 11:21 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Hi Paul,

I've started recommending the Origami Swift to friends and acquaintances as it seems to be coming available this month. However on your site the price is listed as $440 which frankly seems quite low. So low in fact that I wonder if it isn't a mistake or a pre-order price that's stuck around on the webpage? I thought that the bike was going to sell for a smidge under $1000 (which I think is still a reasonable price). Can you confirm what price the Swift is going for? If indeed you are selling it for $440 I will let all friends know that it's the new bike bargain of the century and they'd be silly not to order one if they can at that price. But I suspect maybe there's a mistake on the website?

https://www.origamibicycles.com/shop/p/origami-swift
Old 09-12-23, 11:44 AM
Pinigis 

Hi Paul,

I've started recommending the Origami Swift to friends and acquaintances as it seems to be coming available this month. However on your site the price is listed as $440 which frankly seems quite low. So low in fact that I wonder if it isn't a mistake or a pre-order price that's stuck around on the webpage? I thought that the bike was going to sell for a smidge under $1000 (which I think is still a reasonable price). Can you confirm what price the Swift is going for? If indeed you are selling it for $440 I will let all friends know that it's the new bike bargain of the century and they'd be silly not to order one if they can at that price. But I suspect maybe there's a mistake on the website?

https://www.origamibicycles.com/shop/p/origami-swift
The $440 price is for a frame only, the complete bike is $899.
Old 09-14-23, 11:35 AM
joey buzzard

Hey Paul, when the Swift order has arrives would be lovely to see some pics of the bike and maybe the framesets too in both colour options. We've only seen the green prototype. The production bikes come in either lime green or silver, no?
Old 09-14-23, 02:33 PM
Pinigis 

Hey Paul, when the Swift order has arrives would be lovely to see some pics of the bike and maybe the framesets too in both colour options. We've only seen the green prototype. The production bikes come in either lime green or silver, no?
Our container has arrived, but US Customs has decided to pull it for inspection. This could add two weeks.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 10-03-23, 11:04 AM
JimQPublic

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Our container has arrived, but US Customs has decided to pull it for inspection. This could add two weeks.
Any updates?
Old 10-03-23, 06:51 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by JimQPublic
Any updates?
customs released the container this evening. I should have it at my warehouse tomorrow evening.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 10-05-23, 04:31 AM
Pinigis 

The new Swift begin shipping today!
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 10-08-23, 05:09 PM
BikingSwiftly

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hey all, new here so I can’t post pics yet, but just got one these beauties and am loving it. Happy to answer any questions. Made an instagram with my same name to post pics riding this thing around if anyone wants to see before I get to my 10 posts I need to include pics here.
Likes For BikingSwiftly:
Old 10-08-23, 07:21 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by BikingSwiftly
Hey all, new here so I can’t post pics yet, but just got one these beauties and am loving it. Happy to answer any questions. Made an instagram with my same name to post pics riding this thing around if anyone wants to see before I get to my 10 posts I need to include pics here.
enjoy it and put lots of happy miles on it!
Old 10-11-23, 06:14 AM
midnite13

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! Are there pictures anywhere showing how the seat post threads through the rear rack when folded?
Old 10-11-23, 08:00 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by midnite13
Congratulations! Are there pictures anywhere showing how the seat post threads through the rear rack when folded?
I will take a photo tomorrow.
Likes For Pinigis:
Old 10-14-23, 12:52 PM
mlau

Looking forward to reviews
Old 10-17-23, 02:24 PM
midnite13

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stumbled on their channel, which shows videos of the Swift folding and unfolding.

I'm unable to post links as I have not met the requisite 10 posts, but their Youtube channel is @OrigamiBicycleCo.

What a gorgeous bike!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.