Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Using different tire size on front and back

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 07:46 AM
stargazer48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

I have a Zizzo Liberte which came with 1.5 width tires. After over 3300 miles, the rear needs to be replaced so I purchased a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.75 with 3mm protection because I wanted a bit more cushion. The front 1.5 is still good, so it stays for a while. When it is time to replace it with another Marathon Plus, will there be any "real" advantage to match the 1.75 rear tire size? Will a front 1.75 tire have a more noticeble cushion than the 1.5?
Old 06-20-23, 10:57 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Probably no major advantage, just a little more cushion from the 1.75.
Old 06-20-23, 11:38 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by stargazer48
I have a Zizzo Liberte which came with 1.5 width tires. After over 3300 miles, the rear needs to be replaced so I purchased a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 1.75 with 3mm protection because I wanted a bit more cushion. The front 1.5 is still good, so it stays for a while. When it is time to replace it with another Marathon Plus, will there be any "real" advantage to match the 1.75 rear tire size? Will a front 1.75 tire have a more noticeble cushion than the 1.5?

Personally, I'd run equal width front and rear unless I was in desperate need of something just to roll on, but a wider tire on the rear is better than the other way round. I'd also forgo the Marathon Plus and instead go for the 100psi regular Marathon. It's a good all-round tye and I've found mine to have extremely good puncture protection. Having a flat doesn't even cross my mind on longer rides far from home. All the peace of mind without the extra weight and rolling resistance of the Plus imo.
Old 06-20-23, 12:07 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by stargazer48
Assuming the same PSI, slightly better ride.
If you are precise in your bike fitting, you'll notice the slight tilt forward of the bike.

When you finally replace the front tire, put the older marathon up front.

(I'd replace both and donate the still good tire)
((if you have a bike charity near you))
Old 06-20-23, 01:12 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Personally, I'd run equal width front and rear unless I was in desperate need of something just to roll on, but a wider tire on the rear is better than the other way round.
Why not run a wider tire in the front?
Likes For Schwinnsta:
Old 06-20-23, 01:15 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Why not run a wider tire in the front?
I have seen a fair number of people do this so not sure why not. seems like it would add some suspension effect for a better ride.
Old 06-20-23, 02:09 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have seen a fair number of people do this so not sure why not. seems like it would add some suspension effect for a better ride.
I do this with my 650b off-road wheels. I have a 48mm in the front and 42mm in the back (due to more limited clearance). Off-road, maintaining traction at the front is critical, and, as mentioned, wider tire gives more suspension.
Old 06-20-23, 03:52 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
A wider tire means greater volume and therefore the ability to run lower pressure (relative to a less voluminous tire). But it also means a taller tire and therefore a slightly higher angle of attack and a slight backward lean to the bike when installed the front. This helps clear obstacles. Coupled with the already lower pressure needed in the front due to the weight balance of a bicycle which puts more weight in the rear, you can run a wider/talker front tire up front with much lower pressure and achieve an overall more plush ride.

The other consideration is traction. Sliding in the rear is a lot more recoverable than sliding in the front which is almost always game-over. A wide tire in the front puts more rubber on the road mitigating slide-outs. Related to traction, a bigger tire in the front will add breaking power as weight is transferred to the front during deceleration and you've got more rubber on the road due to the wider tire.

Finally a bigger, heavier tire in the rear makes pedaling feel a little heavier and acceleration a little more sluggish. So, generally, wider/ taller in the front though a lot of this depends on the surface type also.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 06-21-23 at 01:40 PM.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 06-20-23, 05:39 PM
stargazer48

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Personally, I'd run equal width front and rear unless I was in desperate need of something just to roll on, but a wider tire on the rear is better than the other way round. I'd also forgo the Marathon Plus and instead go for the 100psi regular Marathon. It's a good all-round tye and I've found mine to have extremely good puncture protection. Having a flat doesn't even cross my mind on longer rides far from home. All the peace of mind without the extra weight and rolling resistance of the Plus imo.
what is the model number of the regular marithon tire, if you know it?
Old 06-20-23, 11:44 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
The Marathon Plus is wider but surely not more comfortable!

Its a tire with a special thick puncture protection but a very stiff construction.

The Marathon is also quite stiff, it has the same structure but with another thinner puncture protection.

If you want a softer fast tire but still with a very good puncture protection (similar to the Marathon), go for the Continental Contact Urban 42x406.
Old 06-21-23, 03:17 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Unless you are racing hill climb, there is no advantage to run the 1.75 on the back. you would be better fitting you old 1.5 on the back and finish it out and run the 1.75 at the front, the new rubber with the added volume/lower pressure and extra patch contact will give you better control and possibly more wrist comfort.

I run wider front on XC/gravel bikes or at least gripper (50 or 52 width) and of fast race, I run a thinner rear semi slick (47 witdh). On hill climb bike,I run 32 rear and 28 front (for weight reasons)

And if confort is important, conti urban contact is much smoother and faster than marathon.