Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Waterford Paramount mountain bikes (not PDG)?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 04:15 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Hi folks! Not great pics coming up, but I just got home and wanted to snap a couple photos despite the poor lighting.

I picked up an interesting bike today--a 19" (48.5cm) Waterford-built Schwinn Paramount mountain bike. Serial Number 485AMWM90009, so for anyone unfamiliar with the decoding:
- 48.5cm
- short fork
- mountain
- Waterford factory
- December
- 9th frame built that month

I'm really not familiar with non-PDG Paramount mountain bikes; I have to guess there are very few Waterford-built Paramount MTBs, and those that exist must have been custom orders? The lugs & cable routing all seem like custom requests. DT is OS, and I'll check around to see if I can find hallmarks of this being a Tange or True Temper tubeset. I'd wager a guess that it's True Temper OS, only because that's what I've seen out of other Waterford bikes from 1990-1991.

There look to be some original parts (like the Paramount-branded Stronglight headset), but it was clearly built for canti brakes (hence the rear cablestop), and the late-90's LX groupset seems like a swap. Plenty of beausage; I'll ride it around a bit this spring while I figure out what to do with it.

Anyway--if any of you have info on Waterford Paramount MTBs, feel free to chime in!

Likes For fvernon:
Old 02-23-23, 04:22 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 975 Times in 647 Posts
Why not clean the frame, treat the frame against rust and retouch the chipped paint with color matching nail polish? Complete repaint might be too expensive.
Old 02-23-23, 04:28 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Originally Posted by georges1
Complete repaint might be too expensive.
Yeah, I don't know if I'll repaint. A good cleaning & treating may be all it needs. If I was going to repaint, it'd be so that I can also add eyelets at the dropouts, and maybe mid-fork eyelets to turn this into more of a touring-type rig, but I'd need to be sure that it's a keeper first and worth the added expenses.
Old 02-23-23, 04:40 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 975 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon
Yeah, I don't know if I'll repaint. A good cleaning & treating may be all it needs. If I was going to repaint, it'd be so that I can also add eyelets at the dropouts, and maybe mid-fork eyelets to turn this into more of a touring-type rig, but I'd need to be sure that it's a keeper first and worth the added expenses.
That is true
Old 02-23-23, 10:48 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Nice find! Whatever the tubing specs, that's an exceptional looking frame. If were mine and fit, I'd have a late winter project-- full strip, repaint to original, decals from Waterford and dtessed vinti XT group.
Old 02-24-23, 10:19 AM
fvernon

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Nice find! Whatever the tubing specs, that's an exceptional looking frame. If were mine and fit, I'd have a late winter project-- full strip, repaint to original, decals from Waterford and dtessed vinti XT group.
Thanks! It's silver-brazed True Temper OS. I posted to a Paramount facebook group along with a shot of the BB, and wouldn't you know it--the guy who built the frame recognized it as one of his by the Z id stamp (a guy named Cam Tower). He said that around 1989-1990 maybe 20% of Waterford's frames were MTBs, almost all the rest were Road, and there are a rare couple of Track & Touring framesets out there. The MTB line probably dropped significantly around then, since there were so many PDG series options coming in starting 1990/1991. He still has 4 of his framesets & rides them frequently.

I know a retired framebuilder who does a great job with the strip/repaint and who would add on eyelets for racks (and maybe a 3rd bottle cage on the bottom of the DT) if I wanted, and I definitely have the right XT groupset to rebuild if I want to go that route...but I already have a 20.5" 1989 Stumpjumper Comp that I've built up in much the same way, so I'll take this spring to ride this around and see if this more aggressive frameset is really an improvement, or if it would be better to sell & let someone else enjoy this.

Last edited by fvernon; 02-24-23 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For fvernon:
Old 02-24-23, 11:22 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon
Am I seeing things or is that a crack right where the unicrown fork goes into the bottom headset cup?
Old 02-24-23, 11:50 AM
fvernon

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Am I seeing things or is that a crack right where the unicrown fork goes into the bottom headset cup?
Just some paint chipping
Old 02-24-23, 02:35 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
Cool- I remember posting the ad for this and being excited to find a Waterford Paramount for so little money. Nice to be able to identify the individual framebuilder too.
Likes For Clang: