Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

End of the road for Shimano Sora, Claris, Tiagra, Alivio, Acera, Altus groupsets

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 04:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

Bad news for all the die-hards who have hung onto the old 7-10 speed road and 7-9 speed MTB groupsets and enjoyed the interchangeability of these groupsets. Shimano is terminating all these existing 8-10 speed groupsets and replacing them with a unified 'Cues' groupset which uses 11 speed cassette and 11 speed spacing, and new pull ratios. There will also be 9 and 10 speed variants of this Cues lineup- but they will all use the same 11 speed spacing, chain and crankset- just omitting cogs from the 11speed cassette and reducing clicks in the shifters.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-cues/
Oh well, there is still the good old Tourney 7 speed groupset- so that will be the last holdout of the righteous.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-28-23, 04:25 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
surprised it went thus long. 11spd is the new soon to be obsolete stuff.
Old 02-28-23, 04:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Shimano has also hinted strongly that drop-bar variants of Cues will come in the future, phasing out Tiagra, Sora and Claris.
  • Though it hasn’t been confirmed officially, Shimano has strongly hinted Cues will replace Tiagra, Sora and Claris road groupsets

There are some cool things about this.
- reduced confusion about groups. The 3 A level MTB components need to just converge at this point.
- easier to swap components between drivetrains.
- possible drop bar mullet drivetrains, which SRAM has owned exclusively up to now.
- 7 years until current style is phased out.

In 7 years, who knows what the bike industry even looks like.
They haven't even actually announced how this will impact road groups.
Old 02-28-23, 04:50 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Gotta assume after the drop from production repair parts will run out in about 2 years, maybe 3. In steps Microshift or some such company to take up the slack.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 02-28-23, 04:54 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Next thing to become obsolete will be anything that's cable actuated.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-28-23, 04:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
my crystal ball: will be wireless electronic shifting only in 5 years, as at some price point it will be cheaper for bike manufactures to put one of these on than run cable

Old 02-28-23, 05:04 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I'm too much into what's now considered "vintage" or "classic" frames and parts to be bothered by this news. I haven't messed with "groups" since the 80's Campagnolo. Besides, this is an opportunity for other manufacturers to fill in the gap. I've only purchased a few Shimano parts recently and won't be doing it any more. There's an huge chasm apparently between the single and 5-9 speed "that's all I need" riders and those who are a slave to whatever the latest products are. I'll keep riding and buying parts and technology from the 60's to the 90's , thank you very much ! My new custom steel road frame is for rim brakes and cantilevers, Suntour ones at that. Andel crank, Specialized FW hubs, CR18 rims, Campy post and some Zipp drop bars. The only thing Shimano may be the rear derailleur, though I have other brands of those too.

Bike magazines have always been product mouthpieces, with a few genuine articles sprinkled in between to give off the appearance of legitimacy.
Old 02-28-23, 05:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think that will put up a bigger fight in sticking around as it is used across a much larger scale of setups. It's "which style will be dropping off 1st?" of the cable shifting configs.
Old 02-28-23, 05:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Those group prices are certainly attractive. $450 for what they describe as XT equivalent.
Old 02-28-23, 05:25 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
An even simpler approach for the road side of things would be to make Tiagra/Deore the entry-level groupsets, drop everything below - including miserable old Tourney - and be done with it. Tiagra RDs are already capable of running 11-speed, so it's a simple matter of choosing brifters. For anyone who'd feel content with anything with fewer gears than 10, there's always L-twoo.
Old 02-28-23, 06:33 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
An even simpler approach for the road side of things would be to make Tiagra/Deore the entry-level groupsets, drop everything below
That’s basically what they are doing- unifying the road and Mtb 11 speed groupsets and doing away with the groups below.
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
including miserable old Tourney
Woah! Don’t you talk bad about my precious 7 speed Tourney. That is a lifeline and a direct link to the old freewheel hubs. Right now you can slap a brand new 7 speed Tourney freewheel onto your 80’s classic bike and shift it with brand new 7 speed Tourney brifters. Or a 6 speed Ultra freewheel onto a 70’s classic bike and shift it with the same Tourney brifters. This is why Tourney is such an important link to the past. And the Tourney derailleurs are compatible with the classic Shimano derailleurs from the beginning of SIS all the way to the 10 speed groupsets.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-28-23, 06:35 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Bad news for all the die-hards who have hung onto the old 7-10 speed road and 7-9 speed MTB groupsets and enjoyed the interchangeability of these groupsets. Shimano is terminating all these existing 8-10 speed groupsets and replacing them with a unified 'Cues' groupset which uses 11 speed cassette and 11 speed spacing, and new pull ratios. There will also be 9 and 10 speed variants of this Cues lineup- but they will all use the same 11 speed spacing, chain and crankset- just omitting cogs from the 11speed cassette and reducing clicks in the shifters.
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-cues/
Oh well, there is still the good old Tourney 7 speed groupset- so that will be the last holdout of the righteous.
On a slightly different subject the basic Tourney 7 speed freewheel has been out of stock from Shimano for almost 2 years. I have turned away or delayed chain and freewheel replacement on many bikes because of this. They are supposed to be back in stock in March. I have a back order for 40 of them since May 2021.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 02-28-23, 06:37 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Coming soon: Hydraulic derailleurs.
Old 02-28-23, 07:22 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by ARider2
On a slightly different subject the basic Tourney 7 speed freewheel has been out of stock from Shimano for almost 2 years. I have turned away or delayed chain and freewheel replacement on many bikes because of this. They are supposed to be back in stock in March. I have a back order for 40 of them since May 2021.
You can buy that Tourney freewheel all day long on Ebay. There is something very screwy with Shimano's American distribution center. There are a lot of parts that the local dealers somehow cannot get through their official channels, but anyone can buy right off Ebay and Amazon all day long.
Anyways I've had good luck with the Sunrace 7 speed freewheel.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-28-23, 07:46 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
That’s basically what they are doing- unifying the road and Mtb 11 speed groupsets and doing away with the groups below.
I know, but why call the newly consolidated groupsets something new? In fact, why come up with new Cues groupsets at all? Just keep the well established Tiagra and Deore subbrands and move on away from 10> speed altogether.

Woah! Don’t you talk bad about my precious 7 speed Tourney. That is a lifeline and a direct link to the old freewheel hubs. Right now you can slap a brand new 7 speed Tourney freewheel onto your 80’s classic bike and shift it with brand new 7 speed Tourney brifters. Or a 6 speed Ultra freewheel onto a 70’s classic bike and shift it with the same Tourney brifters. This is why Tourney is such an important link to the past. And the Tourney derailleurs are compatible with the classic Shimano derailleurs from the beginning of SIS all the way to the 10 speed groupsets.
And I happened to do just that as recently as this December: got me a pair of Shimano M315 trigger shifters to work with the 600 FD/RSX RD that happened to be handy and that I hung on my old hybridized roadie. Everything works like a charm with the new SRAM 7-speed cassette (yes, cassette; I had already swapped the spin-on rear hub and 5-speed freewheel to a then-still-new Shimano freehub and 7-speed - in 1996!)

Thing is, would I have done this if those components weren't handy and as easy to obtain? Probably not. If I were starting from scratch with a bike that won't take any more than 7-speed, I'd probably have gone the L-twoo way and forgot that it ever happened. I would not have gone with Tourney at all.
Old 02-28-23, 08:33 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,742 Times in 1,014 Posts
Groupsets seem pretty affordable in the big scheme of things. The top tier U8000 1x for $450. Now the question will be, how long will it take them to show up for purchase. Remember people looking for the 12 speed road stuff and could not find it for months.

Old 02-28-23, 08:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Why due Cues? Because the older system ... actually, two systems, and in fact multiple systems within those systems, with many different cable pulls and spacing. As anyone who liked to build bikes (before parts tripled in costs) and wanted to mix and match ... what a headache. Now everything fits everything, and apparently prices might come down too.

All those old systems are a couple decades old. Shimano is making a sensible simplification. This is a smart move.

Not sure what I will do with the crazy range of cobbled-together drive trains on my fleet, but I am not worried. Microshift and Micronew and whoever else will be glad as can be because now they will own the lower-geared/older tech drive train parts. No reason for them to stop producing what they already produce, until people stop buying.

Also, this supposed to be phased in across seven years? I might not even be here to see the final roll-out. Plenty of time to freak out about progress tomorrow.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 09:14 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not sure what I will do with the crazy range of cobbled-together drive trains on my fleet, but I am not worried. Microshift and Micronew and whoever else will be glad as can be because now they will own the lower-geared/older tech drive train parts. No reason for them to stop producing what they already produce, until people stop buying.
Microshift/Micronew are camp followers- they will follow wherever the big dog goes. If Shimano ditches 8-10 speed drivetrains, it's just a matter of time before Microshift does the same.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-28-23, 09:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Microshift/Micronew are camp followers- they will follow wherever the big dog goes. If Shimano ditches 8-10 speed drivetrains, it's just a matter of time before Microshift does the same.
I disagree. It is all about how business works.

Microshift set itself up as an alternative to Shimano, starting with the lower-level groups, because most of the people who were shopping for Ultegra/105/or even Dura-Ace would mostly be willing to pay for the real goods .... but people building lower-end bikes, and particularly, manufacturers producing bikes using seven-and eight-speed groups, could save money knowing that people buying at that level weren't much swayed by the name and (well-earned) reputation of Shimano's higher groups.

As I recall, Microshift didn't even start making 11-speed until Shimano started planning for 12-speed.

Microshift is not trying to compete with Shimano. Microshift is trying to pick up the low-hanging *(lower-level) fruit. And since Microshift already has the tooling for the (now) old-school Shimano parts, Microshift will soon own the cheap 7-8-9 market. Shimano won't keep making its old parts---t would be stupid to undercut and compete against its own new lines, but Microshift can keep cranking out the stuff ... and people here are already wondering where they will get the old Tourney-level parts.

Microshift will eventually stop making the old stuff, sure ... but not for a long time. It has finally on the brink of totally owning a part of the drive train market .... why would it quit?

However ... whatever. Possibly I will have to totally replace some of my drive trains once they wear out, and I would rather not have to buy a complete drive train just get a cassette which is compatible ..... but i will do whatever I need to.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-28-23, 11:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I just wish they'd get around to finally getting rid of freewheels all together. I get them being available for repairs, but its an old and inferior design that should have been abandoned with 6sp, not still found on new bikes nearly 40 years after the design was made obsolete. Everything else I'm not worried about, I also think microshift will be expanding into the void shimano leaves and their parts are the lower end are much better than shimano's for a better price.
Old 03-01-23, 12:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
As I recall, Microshift didn't even start making 11-speed until Shimano started planning for 12-speed.
Microshift had 2x11 back in 2017 for sure and I believe earlier. It actually had a couple models of 2x11 at that point, and shift cables were routed under the bar tape too.
Old 03-01-23, 05:07 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Microshift had 2x11 back in 2017 for sure and I believe earlier. It actually had a couple models of 2x11 at that point, and shift cables were routed under the bar tape too.
Thank you for the facts and the correction. I still feel the same about Microshift's plans ... and we all know feelings trump facts around here .

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
... I also think microshift will be expanding into the void shimano leaves and their parts are the lower end are much better than shimano's for a better price.
Pretty much .... but I don't know.
Old 03-01-23, 05:18 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Not for the MTB world. Especially not when a full mechanical 11 speed group is $450.
Old 03-01-23, 05:54 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
It really sounds like a good move; leave the lower end stuff to Microshift and start over with a new range that's entirely cross compatible.

A LOT of folk aren't going to want a bike that needs to be recharged, even in the West. I, a cycling geek who's spent far too much on bikes and barely uses them may be able to justify wireless shifting on my nice bike, but I'd never dream of having it on my commuter or the kids bikes.

The most common bikes in the world will be the lower end utility stuff, with 6/7 speeds that anyone can repair at the side of the road with a screwdriver and hammer. Electronic anything isn't going to be maintainable in the same way, or yield any notable benefit.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 03-01-23, 09:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos

A LOT of folk aren't going to want a bike that needs to be recharged, even in the West. I, a cycling geek who's spent far too much on bikes and barely uses them may be able to justify wireless shifting on my nice bike, but I'd never dream of having it on my commuter or the kids bikes.

The most common bikes in the world will be the lower end utility stuff, with 6/7 speeds that anyone can repair at the side of the road with a screwdriver and hammer. Electronic anything isn't going to be maintainable in the same way, or yield any notable benefit.
I don't think the next generation will care either way. Pretty much everything else they use daily is electronic with batteries, so why not their bikes? The only thing they will care about is cost, so it just has to be cheap enough. I guess that depends on the cost of the motors. I know quality RC servo motors are relatively expensive, so that could be an issue at the low end of the market. But then again you can get some really cheap, crappy RC servo motors too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.