Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does biking make you smarter?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 06:12 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An excerpt from an article from the NewYorkTimes says that scientists have shown (in rats) that exercize actually stimulates the brain to create new brain cells ('neurogenesis'):

'...Then the scientists examined all of the animals’ brains. They found that, compared with the sedentary animals, the running rats had significantly more of a potent testosterone derivative called dihydrotestosterone, or DHT, in their brains. Even the brains of rats that had been castrated sloshed with DHT.

So the exercise had prompted increased production of the hormone.

Most of the animals also had a plethora of new neurons in the hippocampus, a portion of the brain associated with learning and memory ....

This tells us that the uptake of DHT in the brain after exercise “appears to be a necessary step in achieving adult hippocampal neurogenesis,” Dr. McEwen says."

So, while the axiom: "Taking care of the heart is taking care of the brain" is becoming increasingly accepted in medical science (because it increases blood flow to the brain). Now we are also being told that exercize actually acts directly on the brain to cause it to build new neurons.

All this contradicts the conventional wisdom that "You are born with "x" number of neurons and every year a few more die".

For myself: after spending the summer biking nearly everyday, my mind feels sharper, clearer and quicker. Perhaps that is just wishful thinking -- but perhaps not? Perhaps I grew some new neurons?

A link to the article:
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...se/?ref=health

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 09-15-12 at 06:15 AM. Reason: add link to the article
Old 09-15-12, 06:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
YES!

Sitting on a bicycle saddle stimulates the neurons in the tushie and allows you to use other parts of your body for cognitive processes. At least that's what my wife says.
Old 09-15-12, 06:45 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
In my case, it's just preventing me from being really, really stupid.
Old 09-15-12, 06:50 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would say NO. The more I ride the bike- the more I find things that could need adapting- adjusting or replacing. If I was really smart the bike would fit first time and I would not need those Dure-Ace wheels that I cannot afford.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-15-12, 07:03 AM
parnote

Bikes: Too many "rescued" dept. store bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OH NO!

According to those hair plug commercials on TV, DHT is what's responsible for male baldness! So exercise/physical activity increases DHT levels?

Someone call Bosley!
Old 09-15-12, 02:14 PM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's survival of the fitest. 'Dumb' riders die on the road. 'Smart' riders make it to old age. The gene pool is reduced as a result.
Old 09-15-12, 02:32 PM
Mort Canard

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Duh! Whut?
Old 09-15-12, 02:55 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Bicycling doesn't make me smarter faster than the internet makes me dumber...
Old 09-15-12, 04:15 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
It clears my mind and fuels my creative energy. Often I find myself dreaming up a new project or a solution to an older one.

In regard to the OP perhaps it is just that smarter people are more likely to bike.

BTW where do they get those tiny little bicycles for the rats?
Old 09-15-12, 04:19 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking most certainly makes you, um, duh, smarter. If you don't believe me, ask me. Okay, the truthful answer to the question is, no.

Since I am not running for office, I have no reason to lie....

Last edited by rubic; 09-15-12 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 04:28 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I would say no. With all of the bone heads on the wrong side of the street, running red lights, riding at night wearing black and no lights or reflector IQ doesn't seemed to be improved for about 25 percent of the riders in my town. At least they will be healthy bone heads.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 09-15-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 04:45 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Does that imply the level of intelligence of participants in these forums would be less if they stopped riding? Scary thought.
Old 09-15-12, 06:13 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Don't think it makes you smarter. I've been riding my entire adult life, and I still cannot figure out a method and means to make a few million dollars, legally, quickly, and safely.
Old 09-15-12, 06:48 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding has greatly improved my quality of life. My mind does seem to be clear but that could just be an illusion induced by the natural pain killers that the body produces. Maybe this argument can be used to justify having a bike that does not fit correctly. The greater the pain the more natural pain killers that the body will produce.
Old 09-16-12, 06:30 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
Don't think it makes you smarter. I've been riding my entire adult life, and I still cannot figure out a method and means to make a few million dollars, legally, quickly, and safely.
Why that's easy. Just invest a whole lot of other people's money in some kind of real estate derivitive deals. It doesn't matter what they are because nobody knows what they are and it doesn't even matter if they do well. At the end of the year you'll get a bonus bigger than my whole lifetime earnings because your boss doesn't understand either and he'll think it's important to retain your talent.
Old 09-16-12, 08:07 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Go read the road forum then revisit your hypothesis.
Old 09-16-12, 11:10 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I think cycling allows you to focus and think for an extended period of time. Where else can you get a couple hours to think?

If you ask my wife, cycling has helped us meet medical professionals and employee delivery truck drivers bringing a constant stream of new and used do da's. Cycling stimulates the economy.

Seriously, though I think the exercise is helpful in many ways, mentally, emotionally and physically.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 09-16-12, 11:35 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
Go read the road forum then revisit your hypothesis.

Old 09-22-12, 06:47 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I think cycling allows you to focus and think for an extended period of time. Where else can you get a couple hours to think?

If you ask my wife, cycling has helped us meet medical professionals and employee delivery truck drivers bringing a constant stream of new and used do da's. Cycling stimulates the economy.

Seriously, though I think the exercise is helpful in many ways, mentally, emotionally and physically.
Got to agree .
good for the mind,
good for the economy,
good for the body,
good for the world
Cycling is a world of good
on two wheels
Old 09-22-12, 04:09 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can thevenize and electrical circuit after cycling when you could not do it before, then cycling does make you smarter. Just sayin'.
Old 09-22-12, 06:24 PM
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been cycling most of my life but think I hit my intellectual peak when I was about 17. I pretty much knew everything there was to know back then. I seem to have forgotten a lot of it since.
Old 09-23-12, 08:10 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell
I've been cycling most of my life but think I hit my intellectual peak when I was about 17. I pretty much knew everything there was to know back then. I seem to have forgotten a lot of it since.
+1
... Wouldn't it be great to be as smart -- and as indestructible -- as we were at 17?

But, seriously (although not many have taken this thread seriously -- but then the only thing this forum takes seriously are chain cleaning threads!): I posted this thread because I think it is quite relavent to us 50+'rs...

As nurse, I have seen far too many people with legs that were horribly discolored and swollen due to excess fluid and infection as a result of heart and circulatory problems. And, if that is happening to their legs, what is going on with their brains?

The blood carries the fuel (and antibodies) to all the organs and pieces of the body. If it doesn't get there in sufficient quantities those parts begin to rot and die -- and I don't think it matters whether it is legs or brains. If the heart and circulatory system aren't able to get them the stuff they need, they start to weaken and die.

So, for us 50+'rs facing the possibility of dementia, I think this article is particularly relevent as: not only does cycling help to keep the blood supply going which will help keep the existing neurons healthy -- but it points out that exercize even helps the brain create new neurons.

The Alzheiner's Assoc had effectively convinced most of the world that most dementias were the result of some mysterious disease of plaques in the brain called "Alzheimers". Medical science is beginning to realize that most cases of dementia are the result of definicies in blood flow to the brain.

Cycling is one of the most effective ways of promoting heart and circulatory health. It not only makes the heart a stronger pump, but it promotes a healthier balance of things like cholesterol which helps to maintain a healthy circulatory system. I think most people on this forum cycle at least partly because it is good for the heart and good for the body. But, for myself, I fear dementia far more than I do a heart attack. A heart attack can take you out fairly quickly. Dementia means years of being waterboarded...

So, while we 50'rs may not be as a smart as we were at 17 -- I think cycling is one of the best ways to insure that we stay as smart as we can be (given our gene pools)...

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 09-23-12 at 08:14 AM. Reason: proof reading
Old 09-23-12, 09:39 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
One of the things I have found is that people who bike a fair bit for things like grocery runs and commuting generally are better planners.

Even teacherlady indicated this in her thread when planning a long ride.

Perhaps the discipline of taking into account delays, cycling amenity along the route, maybe fixing flat tyres and so on, does mean a more active mind.

And there should be few occasions when a rider has a blank mind. There is always something to think about on a bike, even if it's just looking for escape routes if a car or another bike threatens your position on the road. Then in between might be thinking about how to save the world...

Oh yes, it needs an active mind to ride a bike.

And there is the constant and increased flow of nutrients and repair materials to the brain that need to be taken into account. Putting aside dehydration issues, it's amazing how a decrease in blood sugars can influence your thinking.

Generally, a more efficient body physiologically also has to have an effect on how active the brain remains.
Old 09-23-12, 10:04 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell
I hit my intellectual peak when I was about 17. I pretty much knew everything there was to know back then. .
Me too. My parents were at their dumbest about the same time. Amazing how much smarter they became in the ensuing years.
Old 09-23-12, 10:48 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
And we cyclists are gaining in balance and muscle tone . Others may not be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.