Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody interested in a trading game?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-22, 02:54 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts

I'm sure many of you have heard of the guy who traded a paper clip for a house. I thought it might be kind of fun to try something similar here. Instead of just one thing at a time though, I was thinking anyone could offer anything (C&V-related, of course). Person A posts, "I've got X. What do you have to trade?" Person B might respond, "I'd like your X. I've got Y to trade." The only constraints (I think) would be:
  • All items traded must be appropriate for the C&V forum and at least one photo must be provided. (To wit, I'm not interested in trading for a house. Unless it's stuffed to the gills with somebody's C&V stuff. )
  • If someone is interested in your item(s), they must indicate that and post a picture of the item they have to trade. At that point the two of you can communicate by email or PM. (In particular, addresses should be communicated outside this thread.)
  • No money can trade hands. If you've got X to trade, once you've agreed to a trade with someone else, you must pay to ship it to your counterparty (and vice versa). In person trades are fine though. If that happens, perhaps the person who traveled farthest should get a beverage of their choice from their counterparty.
  • Once a trade deal is reached, one of the parties must announce the completed trade so other people know what was traded.
If others think this is a good idea (or a suitably wacky enough idea that others can be roped into participating will participate), we can get started. If it launches, I will do my best to keep the list of trades updated in this post. I suppose it would have to pass muster with the mods. Does this seem okay for the forum, cb400bill?

Last edited by smontanaro; 08-30-22 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-30-22, 03:16 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Sounds like great fun to me!
Brrnt
Old 08-30-22, 03:37 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I like the idea. However, wouldn't this be overlapping into the 'iso' and 'frame doesn't fit' threads?

Regardless, I have a couple few things I need/need to get rid of..
Old 08-30-22, 04:00 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
If not bike related but vintage, I would be interested. It should be fine with mods since we have watch, sewing machine, cat, dog and other threads here. It could be really interesting if CV not GS (garage sale) stuff.
Best, Ben
only 5400 to 10000...

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-30-22, 07:22 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Roger M
I like the idea. However, wouldn't this be overlapping into the 'iso' and 'frame doesn't fit' threads?
Sort of. In the "ISO" thread you post what you're looking for. Hopefully someone has it and you buy it (or find something to trade). The "frame doesn't fit" thread is limited to, well, frames. Note also in the Wikipedia page I linked to, the guy didn't trade a red paperclip directly for a house. Several intermediate trades were involved. So, I might (just hypothetically) have a stack of old chainrings I'm willing to trade. Maybe (just maybe) after ten or fifteen trades, I might wind up with a Confente that fits me.
Old 08-30-22, 08:38 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Sort of. In the "ISO" thread you post what you're looking for. Hopefully someone has it and you buy it (or find something to trade). The "frame doesn't fit" thread is limited to, well, frames. Note also in the Wikipedia page I linked to, the guy didn't trade a red paperclip directly for a house. Several intermediate trades were involved. So, I might (just hypothetically) have a stack of old chainrings I'm willing to trade. Maybe (just maybe) after ten or fifteen trades, I might wind up with a Confente that fits me.
smontanro,
So what do you have to offer as a trade.....It was your ask, what do you got?
Best, Ben.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-31-22, 02:48 PM
smontanaro 

Let's make things concrete. I have the following chainrings:
  • TA Cyclotorist (I think) 48T - 80BCD
  • Stronglight 44T
  • Stronglight 45T
  • Stronglight 52T (two of these, different styles)
  • Stronglight 56T

I know very little about them. They came along with a Motobecane I got in Kansas City a couple years ago. The Stronglight chainrings are all at least dirtier than the TA ring. A couple seem to be "dished" (not sure how else to describe it — don't think I could capture it in a photo). All Stronglight chainrings are 122BCD. The TA ring is 80BCD.

If you have something you'd like to trade, please post. Another possible "rule" just occurred to me. If someone posts something to trade for my chainrings, give me the right of first refusal. Don't ruin a possible trade unless I reject it or go silent for at least a day.

Pix (click images for full resolution):

Don't snipe.
Old 08-31-22, 10:57 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Anyone looking for an ATAX 26.4 MM quill seat post ?
I have a spare that is NOS .
Bit of an oddball critter but every now and then I have seen somebody looking for one .

Trade for french or italian componentry ?
Levers and calipers are always needed . etc etc .
Keep in mind I am in NZ and the freight may be a little cringey to and from .

Any qs just PM

Cheers

Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 09-02-22, 07:03 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
Trade for french or italian componentry ?
Levers and calipers are always needed . etc etc .
The idea is to offer something but not suggest something you're looking for (that would be more like the ISO thread). Your decision to complete a trade should be made on-the-fly. It might not only be, "Yeah, I need that," but more like, "Yeah, that might be better trade bait for something I want."
Old 09-02-22, 06:18 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
The idea is to offer something but not suggest something you're looking for (that would be more like the ISO thread). Your decision to complete a trade should be made on-the-fly. It might not only be, "Yeah, I need that," but more like, "Yeah, that might be better trade bait for something I want."
AH ok - I consider myself chastised . Thanks for the clarification .