Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Taper bottom bracket sizing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 07:23 PM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

First, I apologize for not hanging this off of an old thread. I searched, found a good one and added my question. I was blocked. Hmmm. Perhaps we are not allowed to post to old threads?

Below was my question as I try to help a buddy get his old MTB back on the single track.

Yes, old thread but why create a new one. Helping get a buddies bike on the road and I have never ordered a replacement BB catridge.

Shimano square taper
BB-LP27. Unclear if the 27 is telling me something.
73 XI. 73mm diameter IIRC
BC 1.37 x 24 is thread...
I did not measure the overall spindle length as I thought my photos of the BB would tell me all I needed to know.
I did not look to see if it was symmetrical or asymmetrical. I assume asymmetrical because it was on a triple fitted old school hard tail mountain bike.
I have only found a 73 in a 118mm length...not even addressing whether the drive side protrudes more than the non drive side.

Advice welcome and needed so we can order a replacement.

How do I order to ensure the correct spindle length? Best mail order solution these days? I am an old timer as you can see from my join date.
Old 04-29-24, 07:49 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 439 Posts
Measure the spindle, or look up the spec for the specific crankset you’re using.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-29-24, 11:21 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
Don't assume anything.. measure the old BB and FIND OUT. at least you still have the old BB to measure... when it's not there is when the real fun begins, and having spare old BBs around to test fit becomes the norm.
Old 04-30-24, 08:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6280 Post(s)
Liked 4,870 Times in 3,357 Posts
Originally Posted by AD-SLE
First, I apologize for not hanging this off of an old thread. I searched, found a good one and added my question. I was blocked. Hmmm. Perhaps we are not allowed to post to old threads?
Asking your own questions in the threads of others is called hijacking. Even though you think your question is the same as others, there will be nuances that apply only to you. And then it gets hard many times after your post to know whether responses are for you or for the OP or a previous person that replied.

Starting a new thread is always the right decision. If you think other threads have pertinent info in them, then just link to them in your thread and explain what you thought useful in them. If a particular reply in the thread, then you can link just that response.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-01-24, 03:18 PM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
An update.

Length is 113mm and BCD is 104/64. 9 Speed Shimano, 3 chain ring MTB. Appears to be symmetrical. No real way for a definitive measure of a cartridge unless I am looking at it the wrong way.

Any advice where to order a replacement would be appreciated.

From Sheldon's site.
Old 05-01-24, 07:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,082 Times in 2,720 Posts
It is generally bad form to add to old dormant threads. You did the right thing creating a new one. I would much rather have new threads then dredging up old threads unless you have some really pertinent info that just has to be shared in that thread and is extremely related to the original topic and really couldn't go anywhere else without being completely silly and ridiculous but those are few and far between.

In terms of this your crank will determine what BB you need generally so I would check the spec there.

In your case your local shop will be able to get you the correct B.B. and confirm data for you on the width but if the current BB was working in terms of length then just stick with the 113 in the correct width. However you can always bring them the B.B. to get the right one. If you are looking cheap the UN-300 is Shimano's only current choice but that means very little because your local shop might have some older 73mm B.B.s hanging around I know my second to last shop before my own had a bunch of them before closing in 2023 so you might find a higher end Shimano variant still. If nothing else Phil Wood, IRD Defiant/QB-95 or SKF make really good quality B.B.s.
Old 05-01-24, 09:21 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 893 Posts
Here's a link to an exploded view for the LP-27
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZQDgM3XcpB2KJK

As you can see, the only difference between the 68 & 73 is the LH cup.
Therefore, if you found a 68mm version, you could try to reuse the old, brittle, likely to break old cup.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-05-24, 04:41 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 987 Posts

Yes, old thread but why create a new one. Helping get a buddies bike on the road and I have never ordered a replacement BB catridge.
Nothing more annoying than to pore through pages and pages of answers only to find out that the thread is many years old. If you want an answer to your question, start a new thread. Many people who suddenly realize that the thread is very old will not bother answering. Likely the thread you found was closed by the moderators. This often happens when people start arguing for no good reason
Old 05-05-24, 05:06 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 448 Posts
An update.

Length is 113mm and BCD is 104/64. 9 Speed Shimano, 3 chain ring MTB. Appears to be symmetrical. No real way for a definitive measure of a cartridge unless I am looking at it the wrong way.

Any advice where to order a replacement would be appreciated.
BCD, the number of speeds, or the number of chain rings are not part of the spec for a bottom bracket. You're not replacing anything else, right?

You've identified that it's a 73mm shell and length is 113mm. The 1.37 x 24 is the spec for English threaded (as opposed to French or Italian). There are a lot of options, but a Shimano BB-UN300 is probably the closest in general quality to what you're replacing. These are in millions of bicycles and are known to be reliable and easy to install.

Shimano BB-UN300 Bottom Bracket - English, 73 x 113mm Spindle, Square Taper JIS
Old 05-05-24, 08:47 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 471 Posts
FWIW: a Tange square taper bottom bracket is another option. Tange has a very good reputation for producing highly reliable products.

The Tange BB-3912 and BB-3922 currently appear to be available in 73x113mm from multiple online sources.