Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

coming into cashish and improving cycling..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

coming into cashish and improving cycling..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 01:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Do you want the answer I think I'm supposed to give or the real answer?
Old 04-29-21, 02:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I think a good velodrome in the area would be nice something that supports all levels of cycling and has a good rental fleet and is really set up to be quite nice. Maybe also have a small service shop attached and a little café. Take a bit of other money and invest it wisely and save a little money for a really nice Don Walker to ride on said velodrome. I would also have a nice little pump track on the side and maybe a little BMX funhouse as well. You know a little something for everyone.
Old 04-29-21, 02:46 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Do you want the answer I think I'm supposed to give or the real answer?
Just lie...same as everyone else is doing.

Makes people feel better.
Old 04-29-21, 03:25 PM
Hericann

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'll fund the government to provide more bike lanes in the road lol
Kidding aside, youths are the future so influence with them by giving free helmet and pads.
Old 04-29-21, 06:03 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
so you win the lottery or come into a substantial inheritance or just have serious pull-sudden or lifelong, what do you do to improve/educate/sponsor/raise awareness/promote
cycling in your region (or perhaps another)? details pleeeze.
good question. I’d start by taking out a full page ad in the local paper informing drivers that (1) they’re supposed to leave 4 feet space when passing a cyclist, and (2) they’re allowed to cross the double-yellow in the process. Might cut down on tailbacks of frustrated motorists who ultimately run out of patience and attempt some hasty and ill-considered passing maneuver, not knowing that they could have done it legally and safely right at the start.
Old 04-29-21, 06:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Just lie...same as everyone else is doing.

Makes people feel better.

In that case, I will ride a penny farthing dressed as a clown and throw helmets and elbow pads to children.

(Ixnay on the ookers-hay and owblay).
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-29-21, 07:30 PM
Ayeobe

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
This question is very deep.. i would probably demand the bike path that is by the service road between my house and my job not randomly end 1/4 of the way there... what even is that?! it's such a nice bike path but all it is is an excuse to put a red light on a merge ramp, cos no one ever uses it ..it dosnt GO anywhere

Also, you get a bike, you get a bike, you get a bike... NOW RIDE FOR ME

(yes i answered a deep question while remaining in the shallows... its a bad habit)
Old 04-30-21, 08:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
Given a backup option, I'd provide subsidies to non-franchised lbs to lower the costs of goods & services that they offer to the local community as an in-store incentive.
Old 05-03-21, 09:19 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Donate to local government to expand trails.
Old 05-03-21, 11:37 AM
sabele

Bikes: Basso Loto, Andre Bertain, Schwinn Madison, Litespeed Unicoi, Easton full sustension, Macau non-suspended MTN, Merlin Agilis, A-D Superlicht, Daccordi Piuma, Scott CR1 (former owner Thomas Frischnecht), Van Diesel CX, Alan Top Cross, Scattante CX, Ri

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Really??!! What about the Vintage Cyclists that this blog is all about? I own 20 bikes (and I am not rich yet), have at least another spare 20 sets of wheels, all for my mountain, CX and Road bikes that are rim brake equipped.

You can buy the molds, but what stops people from making new molds? The patent on these has long since expired and I think the legislation you propose would fail the constitutional legality test quickly no matter how rich you were.

There must be a better alternative.
Old 05-03-21, 11:52 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
First, I'd set up a foundation to buy politicians to access far more tax money, and public infrastructure. The goal would be to replace our current expressways with light-duty structures passing over instead of through neighbourhoods. For a long commute (I'd discourage those by zoning, too) I would get in my pedelec velomobile and ride to a freeway entrance. There, automatic controls would insert me into the first gap in passing trains of vehicles running inches apart. There, I'd punch in an exit and relax while my batteries were re charged during high speed travel. I'd be sharing the road with robots carrying pallets of freight in a single line to respect the weight limits, but they might be going cross-country. At the exit, I'd resume normal riding, and the robots would go as far as they were certified for self driving. By then, pedestrians might be trained to watch out for pizza boxes running around teasing the dogs.

Concurrently, I'd be pumping out unpatented prototypes, and pushing for a tax based on the payload/vehicle ratio, with penalties starting at 50%.
Old 05-03-21, 06:40 PM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
I happen to know someone who 5 years ago won $80,000,000 in the lottery. Today he still has the $80,000,000 principal and earns $100,000 in interest per month. Yet it's difficult for him to spend the money because each time he pulls money out to buy something such as a car, he has to pay about 50% in taxes. And if he gives more that $10,000 per year to one of his children, they have to pay high taxes. (Maybe money after all doesn't buy happiness, but at least it allows you to keep your yacht next to happiness.)

That being said, if I ever hit it big I would donate money to build/improve bicycle trails, and I would fund high school bicycling clubs.
Old 05-04-21, 04:32 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,974 Times in 1,919 Posts
Originally Posted by TCollen
I happen to know someone who 5 years ago won $80,000,000 in the lottery. Today he still has the $80,000,000 principal and earns $100,000 in interest per month. Yet it's difficult for him to spend the money because each time he pulls money out to buy something such as a car, he has to pay about 50% in taxes. And if he gives more that $10,000 per year to one of his children, they have to pay high taxes. (Maybe money after all doesn't buy happiness, but at least it allows you to keep your yacht next to happiness.)

That being said, if I ever hit it big I would donate money to build/improve bicycle trails, and I would fund high school bicycling clubs.
I wasnt aware that street pharmaceuticals were accounted for on taxes?
Old 05-04-21, 07:20 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
This is what's happening in my community. On the same lines as some have listed above. All of these guys are my friends and riding buddies for the last 25 years.

https://brickandelm.com/a-new-path-f...O3CLwCr5erRjDU