Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to cycling. Seems like i found a GREAT deal? Input is appreciated.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 11:24 PM
Ferocitas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

So, as the title states, I'm new to cycling and I'm trying to decide on a bike.

I've been doing a TON of research and have settled on a few things:
  • $1500 USD Budget
  • High end aluminum or mid-end carbon frame
  • At least a 105 groupset
  • Carbon forks if the frame is Alu
  • New, not used.

So here's what I'm confused about; Colnago. Specifically, it seems like all the bikes with the features I want are above my price range or right at the max.

Then, I look on Colnago's website and see this: CX ZERO ALU ULTEGRA | Colnago America

Now, I have a few other hobbies (cars, teach, etc) and I know that if something seems too good to be true, there's usually a catch. So what's the catch here?

It seems like any bike similarly equipped to this Colnago is at LEAST $400+ more expensive. That isn't chump change. It also seems like Colnago is considered one of the "higher end" brands. My friend rides a Bianchi XR2 Oltre and he told me this.

Am I missing something here? is there any reason to keep looking at other brands at this point? I am, of course, going to get fitted at a bike shop to figure out my frame size (I suspect 54 since I'm 5'8.5" and 29.75" inseam).

It's just weird to me that, out of all the bikes out there, the one I find a seemingly amazing deal on is a Colnago, straight from them.

I'm asking for you guys and gals to please help this noob out. Is this a good deal? What else should I look into? I'm in southern California.

Thank you all in advance, I'm super excited to start my journey!

Cheers!
Old 04-25-17, 11:42 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's not full ultegra, but does seem like a decent deal. What does your LBS carry?
Old 04-25-17, 11:48 PM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferocitas
Hello everyone!

So, as the title states, I'm new to cycling and I'm trying to decide on a bike.

I've been doing a TON of research and have settled on a few things:
  • $1500 USD Budget
  • High end aluminum or mid-end carbon frame
  • At least a 105 groupset
  • Carbon forks if the frame is Alu
  • New, not used.

So here's what I'm confused about; Colnago. Specifically, it seems like all the bikes with the features I want are above my price range or right at the max.

Then, I look on Colnago's website and see this: CX ZERO ALU ULTEGRA | Colnago America

Now, I have a few other hobbies (cars, teach, etc) and I know that if something seems too good to be true, there's usually a catch. So what's the catch here?

It seems like any bike similarly equipped to this Colnago is at LEAST $400+ more expensive. That isn't chump change. It also seems like Colnago is considered one of the "higher end" brands. My friend rides a Bianchi XR2 Oltre and he told me this.

Am I missing something here? is there any reason to keep looking at other brands at this point? I am, of course, going to get fitted at a bike shop to figure out my frame size (I suspect 54 since I'm 5'8.5" and 29.75" inseam).

It's just weird to me that, out of all the bikes out there, the one I find a seemingly amazing deal on is a Colnago, straight from them.

I'm asking for you guys and gals to please help this noob out. Is this a good deal? What else should I look into? I'm in southern California.

Thank you all in advance, I'm super excited to start my journey!

Cheers!
Bike looks good and I don't know if you noticed, but it's a 2016. Like cars, bikes have years and as the riding season starts the previous year tends to be on sale. Judging from the price, it is a huge bargain or at least in my opinion. Ultegra equipped bikes are usually priced north of 1500.
Old 04-26-17, 12:23 AM
Ferocitas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
It's not full ultegra, but does seem like a decent deal. What does your LBS carry?
What's it missing?

I have a few around me and an REI near me (I'm in SoCal).

I've seen every major brand. Giant, Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, BMC, and many others.

Originally Posted by zoom26
Bike looks good and I don't know if you noticed, but it's a 2016. Like cars, bikes have years and as the riding season starts the previous year tends to be on sale. Judging from the price, it is a huge bargain or at least in my opinion. Ultegra equipped bikes are usually priced north of 1500.
I had noticed it's a 2016 so I figured that effected the price, but as you said, even models from that year with the same equipment are considerably more expensive.

Thank you both for your responses.
Old 04-26-17, 04:22 AM
t595

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Brake calipers (not the shifters) are a proprietary colnago unit and the cassette is 105. Nothing to be concerned about - seems like a good deal!
Old 04-26-17, 04:52 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
What's it missing?

I've seen every major brand. Giant, Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, BMC, and many others.

I had noticed it's a 2016 so I figured that effected the price, but as you said, even models from that year with the same equipment are considerably more expensive.

What size do you ride? If you are ok with the matte black look and ride a 56, you should consider this one-

Colnago CX Zero Alloy 105 Bike 2016 > Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA

It's the same bike minus the Ultegra levers and derailleurs for $1,200. Personally, I wouldn't pay $300 more for the 6800 levers, considering the 5800 group is really excellent and functionally identical.

The frame is basically a "Colnago-designed" aluminum frame manufactured in Asia. It isn't any "better" than equivalent endurance geometry aluminum frames from other companies (so, the Synapse from Cannondale or the Gran Fondo from BMC as 2 examples), it just has the Colnago name on it.

I do think it's a good deal at $1200, but at $1500 I think you should at least be cross-shopping with endurance bikes from other big makers.
Old 04-26-17, 05:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by t595
Brake calipers (not the shifters) are a proprietary colnago unit and the cassette is 105. Nothing to be concerned about - seems like a good deal!
Front Der is also 105. Again not a concern. I was going to say that the CX designates this as a cyclocross bike, but don't think it is necessarily.. is the BB on this bike higher than your usual road bike?

If OP wanted 105 he could even look at the Colnago 105 at even lower cost, eg.

Colnago CX Zero Alloy 105 Bike 2016 > Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA

or increase his budget a bit for the CF version
Colnago CX Zero 105 Bike 2016 > Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA
Old 04-26-17, 05:42 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Two years ago I bought this Colnago World Cup CX (cross bike) AL frame w/CF fork and 11-sp 105 gruppo. It shifts better than any bike I've ever had. I love this thing. FWIW, my road bikes are a Masi Gran Criterium w/ Dura Ace (approx. 10 yrs. old) and a Guru steel w/SRAM Red mix (approx 4 yrs. old). I bought the Colnago new for about $1600 from Competitive Cyclist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0526.jpg (99.5 KB, 208 views)
Old 04-26-17, 06:53 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can also check out your local LBS and see if they have some of last year models in your size.
Old 04-26-17, 06:57 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
OP, check out the CX issue. If that means cyclocross bike, no problem, providing that is what you want. If not, look elsewhere. Performance Bike Shop always has 105 bikes with Al frames and carbon forks under your upper price point. Often under $1,000.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-26-17, 07:03 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

local LBS
Those are always the best kind of LBS.
Old 04-26-17, 07:03 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
It's not a cross bike. It has normal road brakes.
Old 04-26-17, 07:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
It's not a cross bike. It has normal road brakes.
By this do you mean side pull rather than center pull?
Old 04-26-17, 07:13 AM
San Pedro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Those are always the best kind of LBS.
I blame that on it being the end of the day. Also science's fault.
Old 04-26-17, 07:16 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

I blame that on it being the end of the day. Also science's fault.
End of day? Oooooh... Japan. Say hi to Thursday for me!
Old 04-26-17, 07:23 AM
zoom26

Bikes: Dahon Speed P16 (Upgraded P8)/ 2014 Dahon Vybe c7a / 2015 Trek 7.2fx / 26" Schwinn Ranger

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's it missing?

What it's missing is the brakes and the crankset/chainring from the ultegra group. I mean from the picture, it doesn't seem like it's an Ultegra crankset, but on the spec sheet it says it is. Still a great value regardless, I think 2017 specced bikes also use this same ultegra groupset. Most important thing here is the fit, no matter how good a deal it is if it doesn't fit you good its a waste
Old 04-26-17, 09:29 AM
Ferocitas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
OP, check out the CX issue. If that means cyclocross bike, no problem, providing that is what you want. If not, look elsewhere. Performance Bike Shop always has 105 bikes with Al frames and carbon forks under your upper price point. Often under $1,000.
Hmm, it's listed under "endurance" on the Colnago website. How would I go about knowing for sure? They have a cyclecross section but it only lists their "world cup" models.
Old 04-26-17, 09:51 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoom26
What it's missing is the brakes and the crankset/chainring from the ultegra group. I mean from the picture, it doesn't seem like it's an Ultegra crankset, but on the spec sheet it says it is. Still a great value regardless, I think 2017 specced bikes also use this same ultegra groupset. Most important thing here is the fit, no matter how good a deal it is if it doesn't fit you good its a waste
The picture there says "This isn't really this bike" on it. Crankset is 6800, so you at least get half the reason to get the group, just not the brakes.
Old 04-26-17, 10:22 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Hmm, it's listed under "endurance" on the Colnago website. How would I go about knowing for sure? They have a cyclecross section but it only lists their "world cup" models.
The one you're looking at is not a cyclocross bike, it is an endurance bike. It's just a strange misnomer that they added "CX" to the name.

Buyer's Guide: 2016 Colnago CX Zero Evo | Bicycling

^ Yes, that describes the carbon version, but at least it makes clear that the "CX Zero" is an endurance road bike with caliper brakes and compact gearing rather than a 'cross setup.
Old 04-26-17, 10:37 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Raleigh Militis 2 Road Bike 2015 > Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA
Old 04-26-17, 11:34 AM
Ferocitas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
The one you're looking at is not a cyclocross bike, it is an endurance bike. It's just a strange misnomer that they added "CX" to the name.

Buyer's Guide: 2016 Colnago CX Zero Evo | Bicycling

^ Yes, that describes the carbon version, but at least it makes clear that the "CX Zero" is an endurance road bike with caliper brakes and compact gearing rather than a 'cross setup.
Yea everything I have read said this was an endurance bike, thanks for the clarification.

It seems like this is the bike for me, now I have to figure out fit. People are saying Colnago's sizing is bigger than most. I'll see if I can find a shop with some of their bikes.
Old 04-27-17, 05:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Yea everything I have read said this was an endurance bike, thanks for the clarification.

It seems like this is the bike for me, now I have to figure out fit. People are saying Colnago's sizing is bigger than most. I'll see if I can find a shop with some of their bikes.
Yeah, it seems they size their bikes based on the actual seat-tube length, not the virtual size (ie if top tube was horizontal).. so their 50cm is more like most brands 52cm, etc..
Old 04-27-17, 05:25 AM
ozgur.nevres

Bikes: LOOK 565, Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's not a cyclo-x. There is a review here:
Colnago launches CX Zero Alu for 2015 | road.cc

I think, at that price, it's great.

It's confusing naming an endurance bike as "CX", though.
Old 04-27-17, 09:20 AM
Ferocitas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, it seems they size their bikes based on the actual seat-tube length, not the virtual size (ie if top tube was horizontal).. so their 50cm is more like most brands 52cm, etc..
Yea so it seems like I might be a size 52 and not a 54 for them, but I really need to sit on one to figure it out. My friend and his dad have a few between them and I found a shop near me that does too. Gonna work this out and be a part of a new community! I'm excited as hell.
Old 04-27-17, 10:04 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Yea so it seems like I might be a size 52 and not a 54 for them, but I really need to sit on one to figure it out. My friend and his dad have a few between them and I found a shop near me that does too. Gonna work this out and be a part of a new community! I'm excited as hell.
Good luck! Post pics of the bike when you get it. Also keep in mind that if you're sitting on an older Colnago owned by a friend, the frame size might not translate to the newer bikes with sloping top tubes. Better to try out something current.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.