Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Big head helmet advice, please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 12:38 PM
Rhombear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hoping someone can help me. I have a round head that is also xtra large (apparently). Been trying to find a helmet that will fit the melon. Closest I have come is the Giro Hex, size Large, but it is still too tight at the top (about 3 inches above each ear (the place where, if you bite down or move your jaw you can feel the muscle pulse at the side of your head)). Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance.

RB
Old 08-13-12, 12:47 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I cannot wear the Giro as it hits me hard in the front and back, but is too loose on the sides (I might not have much of a round head, but it is a size large). I have always found the basic Bell helmets to work well for me.

Originally Posted by Rhombear
Hoping someone can help me. I have a round head that is also xtra large (apparently). Been trying to find a helmet that will fit the melon. Closest I have come is the Giro Hex, size Large, but it is still too tight at the top (about 3 inches above each ear (the place where, if you bite down or move your jaw you can feel the muscle pulse at the side of your head)). Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you in advance.

RB
Old 08-13-12, 12:51 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have heard from a few riders that Bell and Giro have a different fit so you might try Bell.

Last edited by Carbon Unit; 08-13-12 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 01:37 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Yes Giro tends to be more rounded, Bell more oblong. Giro's "big head" helmet is or was the Atlas II, though I've found it not as comfortable on me as some others. Bell used to make a large helmet called the Triton, but I think it may be discontinued. Louis Garneau also makes a large helmet called the Arcterus. It seems to be a tad larger than my Triton, but overall feels about the same. You can buy the Arcterus here:

https://aerotechdesigns.com/cycling-helmets.htm#arcterus

My hat size is in the area of an 8, so I know what you're going through.

Bell also used to make a huge helmet called the King Head which is long discontinued, but you may still be able to find some old stock. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the impact foam in helmets has a shelf life so I don't know if it's safe to wear a really old helmet though.

EDIT: I just checked, and Bell's latest big helmet is called the "XLV", which give about 2cm more circumference than their regular Large helmets. I'll have to look for one of these and give it a try. Oh BTW, I hope you're not picky about styling. All of these helmets are very basic low end designs.

Last edited by Metaluna; 08-13-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 03:21 PM
Rhombear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, very helpful. Under the circumstances, I don't think I have the luxury of being picky relative to color or style, just want the protection that fits. I will look for Bell XLV. My motorcycle helmet is a Shoei, expensive, but that's partly because they make and test different shells rather than just changing the "guts" inside. Unfortunately, they don't make bicycle helmets and if I wear my full face motorcycle helmet on my bike, well, talk about non-stylish!!!!

RB
Old 08-13-12, 03:25 PM
Rhombear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like your head is longer and thinner than mine, front to back, despite being large. I think most folks heads are shaped more like yours than mine, hence the difficulty in getting a fit for shorter, front to back, and wider in the middle and on top. Thanks.

RB
Old 08-13-12, 03:40 PM
PedalingFool

Bikes: Trek 1.2, Trek Mtn, Specialized Gravel, Jamis TT, Specialized FatBoy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you tried to see if you can get a smaller head?
Old 08-13-12, 06:32 PM
Rhombear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Much as I'd like to think that would be a viable option, it isn't. I guess I'm jealous of those of you who can simply grab a helmet off the shelf. Sorry to be a bother, but I would guess I'm not alone in trying to find a helmet that will let me enjoy a ride. So if anyone can help, I really do appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot.

RB
Old 08-13-12, 06:46 PM
Urban Turkey
yada yada

Bikes: Felt F5, Surly CrossCheck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lazer Helium comes in a XXL size for those of us with large noggins.
Old 08-13-12, 09:06 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have similar problem and been toying with the idea of getting out my flapper wheel and taking a bit of excess styrofoam off in the right places. Anyone done this?
Old 08-13-12, 09:29 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found that the specialized helmet I got is plenty big. I have a pretty oval head, and this helmet is definitely for rounder heads. Can't remember the name of it, but is nicely ventilated, but the vents mean wind noise.
Old 08-15-12, 08:28 AM
Rhombear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urban Turkey
Lazer Helium comes in a XXL size for those of us with large noggins.
Well I was able to find a Lazer Helium in an XL/XXL size and ordered one, so i hope it will fit. The size chart shows 60-64 cm, which is, at the largest measurement, about 3 inches more circumference than the Giro I tried on at REI. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and suggestions!!

RB
Old 08-15-12, 09:22 AM
Metaluna

By the way, Lazer also makes another model, the O2 in XXL size (64cm). It looks to be about $100 less than the Helium if anyone is looking at these.

I just noticed that the Bell XLV is supposed to go up to 65cm, so I may try one of those, as I could use a little extra room in the winter for layering a heavy skullcap underneath.

Another issue to watch out for with helmets isn't just the front-to-back or side-to-side fit, but the top fit as well. I believe the top of the helmet is supposed to come in contact with your head. Some larger helmets I've tried look like they're sitting at least a finger-width above my head. In the old days helmets used to come with interchangeable foam blocks that you could add or remove to customize the fit, but not anymore.
Old 08-15-12, 03:12 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
This : https://www.bhsi.org/bighead.htm
Old 08-16-12, 12:04 AM
SteveFromNY
Don't steal bikes, bro!

Bikes: Scrambler V3 fixie build, Specialized Tricross Ultegra, Cevelo R3 Dura Ace

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RB
i went from the triton to the specialized max, and ended up most comfortable on my bell sweep. I have a huge head and the sweep actually looks nice too.
Old 08-16-12, 06:33 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have a Lazer 02 that still has tags. I don't like the fit, so I may sell it if your interested.
Old 05-15-17, 03:56 AM
JagR

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac 2017 - TREK Madone - Cannondale CAPO

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like this thread is a little dated. Anyone know new/stylish helmets that work with big heads?
Old 05-15-17, 10:59 AM
Metaluna

Originally Posted by JagR
Looks like this thread is a little dated. Anyone know new/stylish helmets that work with big heads?
I think it was mentioned already upthread, but I'm loving the Specialized Max. Best fitting helmet for me that I've ever found in 10+ years of looking. I think I must have a very oblong head, maybe a bit flat on the top. I say this because most helmets press on my forehead (sometimes to the point of causing headaches) and there's usually an inch or so of daylight between the padding and the very top of my head. Not so with the Max. I still wouldn't mind another cm or so of circumference in the headband (mainly to allow room for layering in the winter) but for most purposes it fits perfectly. Which of course means it's bound to be discontinued any minute.
Old 05-15-17, 11:07 AM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
I think it was mentioned already upthread, but I'm loving the Specialized Max. Best fitting helmet for me that I've ever found in 10+ years of looking. I think I must have a very oblong head, maybe a bit flat on the top. I say this because most helmets press on my forehead (sometimes to the point of causing headaches) and there's usually an inch or so of daylight between the padding and the very top of my head. Not so with the Max. I still wouldn't mind another cm or so of circumference in the headband (mainly to allow room for layering in the winter) but for most purposes it fits perfectly. Which of course means it's bound to be discontinued any minute.
LOL - You couldn't have said it any better! I feel that way with most stuff but especially w/the "big-headed crowd. Every time something works and I fall in love w/it...bam...discontinued!
Old 05-15-17, 11:08 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Check with Giada de Laurentis. Nobody has a bigger head than she does. Or smaller shoulders. One or the other.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 05-15-17, 11:15 AM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Check with Giada de Laurentis. Nobody has a bigger head than she does. Or smaller shoulders. One or the other.
Too funny!...still a pretty lady though
Old 05-15-17, 12:42 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
As has been mentioned, it's not only size but shape. My head is pretty big and my Giro Savant MIPS fits pretty well.
When I was motorcycling, Shoei and Kali were the only brands I could live with and even with them, it was only certain models.

I think you just have to keep trying them till you find one that works for you. One reason I don't buy helmets (or shoes for that matter) on line is cause if everyone does that, pretty soon shops will have minimum inventory to try.
Old 05-15-17, 01:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Hoping someone can help me.
It looks like this website is dedicated to helmets for large heads.

https://www.bhsi.org/bighead.htm

Dan
Old 05-15-17, 01:22 PM
JagR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Bike Helmets for Large Heads

Dan
I wish LBS carried more helmets. That link is somewhat dated and does not include current line-ups. Are you aware of a more up to date list?
Old 05-15-17, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Bike Helmets for Large Heads

Dan
After nearly 5 years, I suspect the OP found a helmet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.