Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Someone else's Frankenbike (or, assembled box o'crap )

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-22, 08:46 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 67 Posts

So I've posted now and then about various basket case bikes I've dragged home over the years.

This spring I ended up with a real headscratcher. I blame my neighbor and his awful awful enabling behavior. And his beer.

It's a bike boom era "Allitalia". No model or tubing brand.

i had posted earlier about how this bike has a titanium spindle Italian threaded O.M.O.S. bottom bracket.

I took a bit of time to look more closely at the rest of the parts on it. There were several surprises:

-Universal Extra sidepull brakes. Never heard of these or seen them before, I thought they were Weinmann brakes at first glance
-Unknown bars. No visible marks or stampings
-Unknown brake levers. Again, no marks. Brake hoods are surprisingly not gooey or crumbling.
-Sunshine rear hub with a Maeda Industries (Suntour) freewheel. No notches for removal tool, uses spanner pins. This is laced to an "AKRONT" alloy rim, another brand of part I've never heard of
​​​-Normandy-ish front hub laced to a steel rim. The rim has an "S" stamped in to it and the hub skewer says "Bloc G". Googling for info about Bloc G hubs finds a few hits of people asking what they are but no other info
-a 3ttt stem where the part facing the rider is open and you can see the stem bolt.

I've gotten as far as pulling the cranks and the bottom bracket. The frame has some of the worst welds I've ever seen on a bike, stamped dropouts, no braze one, and an exposed seam on the underside of the BB shell so I'm pretty sure it is nothing special.

The rest of the parts minus the seatpost (popped right out) are still on the bike.

I really feel like in the early 70s someone decided to assemble a bike with a box o'crap inspired mix of parts. Really not likely that a gas pipe bike came stock with a titanium spindle bottom bracket.
Old 09-11-22, 10:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,545 Posts
My enabling neighbor and his, espresso, whisky and red wine got me into an Audi A4 quattro....at least is is a 6 speed manual

I got even and got him into tubular tires

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-11-22, 11:17 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
That's actually not terrible IMO, you could have done much worse.

juvela 's breakdown of the lugs, original components, etc is interesting.

Could be made into a very enjoyable around town bike.
Old 09-11-22, 11:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
So I've posted now and then about various basket case bikes I've dragged home over the years.

This spring I ended up with a real headscratcher. I blame my neighbor and his awful awful enabling behavior. And his beer.

i had posted earlier about how this bike has a titanium spindle Italian threaded O.M.O.S. bottom bracket.

I took a bit of time to look more closely at the rest of the parts on it. There were several surprises:

-Universal Extra sidepull brakes. Never heard of these or seen them before, I thought they were Weinmann brakes at first glance
-Unknown brake levers. Again, no marks. Brake hoods are surprisingly not gooey or crumbling.
-Sunshine rear hub with a Maeda Industries (Suntour) freewheel. No notches for removal tool, uses spanner pins. This is laced to an "AKRONT" alloy rim, another brand of part I've never heard of
​​​-Normandy-ish front hub laced to a steel rim. The rim has an "S" stamped in to it and the hub skewer says "Bloc G". Googling for info about Bloc G hubs finds a few hits of people asking what they are but no other info
-a 3ttt stem where the part facing the rider is open and you can see the stem bolt.

I've gotten as far as pulling the cranks and the bottom bracket. The frame has some of the worst welds I've ever seen on a bike, stamped dropouts, no braze one, and an exposed seam on the underside of the BB shell so I'm pretty sure it is nothing special.

The rest of the parts minus the seatpost (popped right out) are still on the bike.

I really feel like in the early 70s someone decided to assemble a bike with a box o'crap inspired mix of parts. Really not likely that a gas pipe bike came stock with a titanium spindle bottom bracket.
Assume you have found the Akront rim came from the motorcycle industry.
Old 09-12-22, 05:49 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter

I really feel like in the early 70s someone decided to assemble a bike with a box o'crap inspired mix of parts. Not likely that a gas pipe bike came stock with a titanium spindle bottom bracket.

Or, perhaps, the original owner rode it and replaced parts as they failed, upgrading as he went, perhaps buying random special bits that were on sale at his LBS, perhaps planning and saving up for bits one at a time, or perhaps getting hand-me-downs from a friend with a large bike and parts stash ...

It will forever be a mystery, but a fun find, and fun to speculate!

Last edited by JulesCW; 09-12-22 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 09-12-22, 06:31 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,950 Times in 983 Posts
It’s quite an…assortment. I can tell you that Akron’s rims were often found on Zeus bikes.