Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mini Pump Decision

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mini Pump Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 04:50 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The lezyne micro floor drive weighs only about 160 grams, reversible presta/schrader, HV or normal volume available, and can also have an inline pressure gauge optionally. It is fantastic with two small niggles

1. Use you palm on the tiny T handle, otherwise, the little handle is awkward
2. Screwing it on takes care. Either make sure your valve cores are tight or make sure no lateral force is applied when unscrewing......basically keep the chuck vertical inline with the presta valve and you are GTG. Pull to the side and you will unscrew a loose valve core.

I just carry two CO2 now that I am back on tubeless but that pump goes on every ride with clinchers.
Old 06-01-22, 10:01 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
differential strokes for different folks.
Yup, less strokes for folks is best.
Old 06-02-22, 05:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6969 Post(s)
Liked 10,966 Times in 4,691 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Yup, less strokes for folks is best.
That really depends on the activity.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-04-22, 12:52 AM
girona
biciclista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
No experience with either Lezyne or Silca pumps. I've been using two versions of Topeak Race Rocket for years that have a similar screw on hose as the Lezyne pumps.
In the case of Topeaks, the hose is permanently attached to the pump and can handle both presta and schrader valves. Not as pretty as the Lezyne or the Silca...
I have unscrewed valve cores a couple of times. If the valve cores are tight, then it shouldn't be a problem. Also, I've heard of people lightly greasing the threads of the valves to avoid the pump head sticking to the valve core.
To be honest, I don't use the mini pumps that often. I guess I don't puncture that much, maybe 2-3 times per year.
Old 06-04-22, 02:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 3,010 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
And yet, the Lezyne uses less strokes and less effort to put in the same amount of air as the Tattico does. The Tattico takes 193 strokes to get to 80 psi while taking more physical strength, while the Lezyne Road Drive long takes just 117 with a lot less effort. I think I would much prefer using 76 less strokes and less effort over using a 33 gram heavier "solid" feeling pump.
Less strokes does not necessarily mean less effort. I'm curious how you found the Lezyne to take a lot less effort? Now I haven't tried the Lezyne pump, but one of the things I notice most about the Tattico is how easy it is to pump at higher pressures - due to its unique sealing system. All my other mini-pumps (I have a few) get hard to pump as the pressure builds and the seals get hot. But not the Tattico. Easy pumping is one of its best features.

"Inside hides Silca’s cup seal instead of more basic o-rings – meaning the pump shows no signs of air loss once hot. The volume is decent but is nicely balanced to provide an easy action at higher pressures."
Old 06-04-22, 04:38 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Look what I found: The best mini pumps for road, gravel and mountain bike – 45 tested! - CyclingTips
Old 07-11-23, 06:15 PM
rfield54

Bikes: '16 Cervelo R5 .... Alchemy Arion .... Alchemy Ronin Ti ... Santa Cruz 5010CC

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just purchased and compared the Silca Tattico with the Lezyne Road Drive (large), and in a nutshell, I'll be returning the Tattico. Though the Tattico is solid, it failed in three ways: 1) it weighs 53 grams more than the Lezyne 2) it's pump head failed to hold onto a Tubolto stem (which is important to me), whereas the Lezyne was solid. And most importantly, @100 strokes the Lezyne pumped 35.5 psi, and the Tattico a dismal 21psi. On the plus side for the Tattico, it doesn't get warm while pumping like the Lezyne does. But that wasn't enough to sway me. Regarding the reputation of valve stems unscrewing on the Tubolitos with a screw-on chuck (and other brands with the same valve/stem set up), Tubolito now glues the valve into the stem...and if (after releasing the pump pressure with the ABS button) the valve unscrews, the Lezyne has a built in valve stem tool.
Likes For rfield54:
Old 07-12-23, 12:02 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
I purchased this Uniche mini pump. It has a hose, and a built in pressure guage. Very happy with it so far.

Old 07-13-23, 11:39 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
You can’t go wrong with the Lezyne
Old 07-14-23, 11:46 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Jumpski
You can’t go wrong with the Lezyne
Plus at least one. I have had a lot of pumps, most of which I sent back because either the number of strokes was too high, some upwards of 500! Most was because they could not pump my tires to even 70 pounds, and that took a huge effort, not to mention the 500 stroke range.

Topeak Race Rocket HP, and the Lezyne Road Drive long version, both do great but the Lezyne does it about 50 strokes less, and with a bit less effort.

With any mini pump size matters, those tiny little pumps will be lucky to get to 50 psi while doing so at around 500 strokes.

There was an article done by Velo on 45 different pumps, all the pumps they tested did not pass or did so marginally, but what they said was the two pumps I listed, and I own both of them, were the best. That article is no longer avail on Velo though. Don't trust YouTube on pump testing, those dopes won't test to standard road pressure, if they test it all, they won't show you how the pumping went so you can find out how many strokes it took, or see the pain in their faces as they try to get the pump up to the tire pressure. No pump will reach their acclaimed 160 psi or whatever is on the box, not even Lezyne! Not sure how they get those figures, but it wasn't by human strength. I've had pumps split their internals, or blow the end caps off from trying to get near 90 and they were rated for 160! I've sent back about 15 pumps that failed either in getting anywhere near the desire pressure or blowing apart over the years, and only kept the Lezyne and the Topeak. I do have an old SKS carbon race rocket, that thing takes quite a bit of effort and strokes to get to 90, but it will do it, but it is very tiring and painful, plus the pump body gets very hot, carbon fiber cannot dissipate the heat like other materials, so it just builds and builds from the friction.
Old 07-14-23, 11:54 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by rfield54
the Lezyne Road Drive (large)
Aside from its other positive characteristics, part of the magic here is that Lezyne offers the Road Drive in a "large" size.

Although not as large as a full-sized frame pump, it's substantially larger than many mini pumps. I'm carrying mine on the frame, next to a bottle cage, and neither the size nor the weight is a deal-killer for me.
Old 07-14-23, 11:56 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,437 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
I gotta say, the Lezyne Road Drive feels like quality stuff to me.

My only concern was the unscrewing-the-valve-core-thing that I had read about, but in practice, that hasn't yet been a problem for me.
This really is a problem. I put up with it because I love the idea of the threaded rather than snap-on pump-head. Peaty's, and probably many others, make valve stem caps that are also valve core tighteners. Or just pack the little blue Park tool $10 one.
Old 07-14-23, 12:37 PM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
This really is a problem. I put up with it because I love the idea of the threaded rather than snap-on pump-head.
I have yet to be bitten by this, but I can imagine the frustration of having a valve core go flying off into the grass on the shoulder of the rural highways I ride.

I don't use any threadlocker, but I do make it a point to check the tightness of the valve core whenever I put a new tube into my saddle bag. When using the pump, I don't tighten the chuck much more than necessary to get it to seal, and I use the bleed valve on the chuck to relieve any pressure in the hose before removing it. So far, so good.
Old 07-14-23, 12:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I have yet to be bitten by this, but I can imagine the frustration of having a valve core go flying off into the grass on the shoulder of the rural highways I ride.

I don't use any threadlocker, but I do make it a point to check the tightness of the valve core whenever I put a new tube into my saddle bag. When using the pump, I don't tighten the chuck much more than necessary to get it to seal, and I use the bleed valve on the chuck to relieve any pressure in the hose before removing it. So far, so good.
I have their floor pump, and it occasionally happens with that. Fortunately, it is in the garage, where it provides some low-brow entertainment.

Someone mentioned that their hand pump has a valve core tool on it, which is ideal.

I wouldn't put thread lock or anything on the valve core, because you do need to be able to get it out, sometimes during a ride.
Old 07-14-23, 12:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Someone should have invented the left-handed valve core thread.
Old 07-14-23, 01:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I have the full-length Silca frame pump. It was eye-wateringly expensive, but is great.
Old 07-14-23, 01:20 PM
John Valuk

Someone mentioned that their hand pump has a valve core tool on it, which is ideal.
My Lezyne Road Drive has a Presta valve core tool built into the flex hose assembly.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 07-14-23, 01:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I just checked. My floor pump claims to have that, too. Who knew?
Old 07-15-23, 07:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 3,010 Posts

I carry a couple of spare valve cores in my pocket, along with a core removal tool.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-15-23, 11:06 AM
rekmeyata

I have the full-length Silca frame pump. It was eye-wateringly expensive, but is great.
I have a full size Zefal, same performance as the Silca but at a much lower cost, my first one I had lasted 40 some odd years, I just had to replace it last year, and I replaced it with another Zefal, the Zefal is built like a tank too. I don't use the Zefal on any of my road bikes, but it's on my touring bike to make pumping a lot easier and faster.
Old 07-15-23, 11:30 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
As a Lezyne owner (floor pumps and mini pumps) I always tighten my valve cores before I install it pack a tube. It's happened to me both at home and on the road, even with pre-tightening, but I have valve tools (and my mini multi tool has a valve tool on it as well) so it's never been unfixable and I still like to use my Lezyne pumps.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-16-23, 08:31 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I have the Lezyne Pocket Drive and it's terrible. 1 in 3 attempts will result in the valve core coming out and that's not acceptable. I've now relegated it to the junk drawer but not before having to walk my bike twice in the last month when it failed. The integrated valve core tool should be included on all models or one included in the box.
Old 07-16-23, 09:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
I’ve been carrying Lezyne Road Drive pumps for over 10 years, and have them on three bikes. I don’t think I’ve pulled a valve core more than once, and besides not remembering, it wasn’t a crisis: I just threaded it back in.

How is this a big deal for people? Bad technique, maybe? As a tip, spin the pump straight off the valve; don’t pull it sideways and load up the valve
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-17-23, 11:34 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by chaadster
I’ve been carrying Lezyne Road Drive pumps for over 10 years, and have them on three bikes. I don’t think I’ve pulled a valve core more than once, and besides not remembering, it wasn’t a crisis: I just threaded it back in.

How is this a big deal for people? Bad technique, maybe? As a tip, spin the pump straight off the valve; don’t pull it sideways and load up the valve
I have yet to pull of a valve core after about 10 years of using mine as well.
Old 07-18-23, 02:42 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Can't rule out user technique but it's something that when it happens once, the user usually becomes more careful to avoid future instances. For those who have not experienced this, it might be that your tubes did not have removable cores, or that some tubes have cores that are installed more securely from factory.

I have no brand loyalty when it comes to tubes, I buy what's cheap and what valve length and tube size fits my needs. I also tend to buy periodically at bulk (so a 4-8 pack at a time, once every couple of years), so if a particular brand or model of tube is susceptible then all the tubes in the same lot might be as well.

It could also be that user error early on caused some damage to the threads in my chuck, causing it to be more likely to cross threaded a valve core and unthread it from the valve when removing the chuck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.