Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How come OC rims never caught on?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How come OC rims never caught on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 07:45 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Most mid to high end bikes run a rear rim with more spokes than the front. So you already have two different parts by necessity.
Same rim, just different drilling.
Old 11-04-22, 08:09 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4257 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 942 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There is some. There are also mountain bikes that come with OC rims as OEM. Not many but there are some.
There are all sorts of really-noticeable odd (not very conservative) things that change all the time about mountain bikes that OC rims wouldn't even register. "Conservatism" isn't a big deal for the mountain bike market (your "some" is negligible).

OC rims would barely register on road bikes. There are also many examples of odd looking wheels (much more noticeable than OC rims) on stock bikes over many years.
And there are lots of odd looking wheels (especially after market ones) for road bikes too (not many appear to use OC rims).

That’s a very significant difference even in the real world. Heavier riders…who suffer more broken spokes…can really benefit from them. The whole boost idea is an attempt to solve the tension difference on dished wheels by making the dish superfluous. 157mm hubs are basically dishless.
If there was that strong a benefit/cost ratio, OC rims would be common on mountain bikes.

Based on the few offerings around, they don’t appear to be significantly more expensive. $4 more from Velocity and about $10 for Kinlin.
Then, they really should be already common on mountain bikes. Or after-market wheels.

It's possible that the extra cost (even as small as it is) is enough to discourage manufacturers from using OC rims on stock bikes. It might be that the advantages are a "hard sell" to customers (unlike disk brakes, which are a fairly easy sell).

The public is generally convinced of the benefits of disk brakes (and doesn't mind spending more for them). The benefits of OC rims might be too hard for the public to understand (and they might not see even a small increase in cost as worth it).

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-04-22 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-04-22, 08:24 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Asymmetric. Another word for OC.

I have these on my mountain bike.

https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/coat...arbon-wheelset
Old 11-04-22, 08:34 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I ride MTB exclusively, and have had a few OC-wheels over many, many years. To me, and as stated above already, maybe it's an answer to a question nobody asked. I've never encountered a situation where it made a difference AFAICT.
Old 11-04-22, 08:40 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Kinlin, Ritchey, Velocity, Shimano, DT Swiss all make or made road OC rims.
If OC is so great, why did they stop making them?

(There have been all sorts of odd wheel configurations that were tried and abandoned.)

I'm not saying there isn't an advantage to OC rims. It just doesn't seem there that big of an advantage (otherwise, they'd be much more common). It could be they aren't common because the general public doesn't understand the advantages (so, it isn't worth the extra manufacturing costs). Still, it would seem that they'd be the norm for higher-end mountain bikes (the purchasers of those might be more technically savy).

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-04-22 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-04-22, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
If there was that strong a benefit/cost ratio, OC rims would be common on mountain bikes.
There isn’t a benefit to the manufacturer but there is a benefit to the user. Part of the problem is that broken spokes aren’t a concern of the manufacturer. Most all broken spokes are replaced at cost to the user, the manufacturer doesn’t know or care about them. The user probably won’t even blame the manufacturer for the spoke failure and will assume that is is something they did. Most people have no clue that there is a design flaw in the way the wheel is built.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-04-22, 08:59 AM
njkayaker

There isn’t a benefit to the manufacturer but there is a benefit to the user. Part of the problem is that broken spokes aren’t a concern of the manufacturer. Most all broken spokes are replaced at cost to the user, the manufacturer doesn’t know or care about them. The user probably won’t even blame the manufacturer for the spoke failure and will assume that is is something they did. Most people have no clue that there is a design flaw in the way the wheel is built.
I said that already (basically). I think this makes more sense. Disk brakes don't have a benefit to the manufacturer either but the user is clear bout the advantages (the benefits of OC rims isn't as clear). Put another way, disk brakes make it easier to sell bicycles (for more money, even) and OC rims don't make it easier (so, they don't warrant the extra small cost).

It's still odd OC rims don't seem to be standard on higher-end mountain bikes (maybe, they are?).

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-04-22 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-04-22, 09:52 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
So a combination of reducing SKU for big bike OEMs and low available + low demand for aftermarket (replacement) wheels?
Pretty much sums it up.
Old 11-04-22, 09:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I ride both 7 and 9-speed hubs and fix gear hubs with no or very little dish. I can definitely feel the difference on corners. The fix gear wheels feel more solid despite using the lightest spokes I can get on both sides. (DT Revolutions when available.) The dished wheels feel less secure on bumpy hard corners.

Granted, part of this is my engineering brain. Triangulating structures is so basic a concept. And wide base triangles are far stronger. So a wheel that takes advantage of the (pre-disc) simple and elegant front wheel geometry in the far more demanding rear wheel application just feels right. Compromising that base, just wrong.

Haven't yet used OC rims. But now that I am in new wheel mode (swapping al my good bikes over to tubular), I should look into it. (Did OC and shallow tubular rims ever cross paths?)
Old 11-06-22, 11:09 AM
njkayaker

Maybe, they aren't as aerodynamic. Though, that shouldn't matter for mountain biking.
Old 11-06-22, 12:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I’ve never seen a road rim offset. I’ve heard of their existence.
I have a set of Campagnolo Neutron wheels. The rear rim is offset
Old 11-06-22, 02:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
OC rims are not a solution to low quality parts. A well built wheel using quality parts will go the distance. I've seen it and experienced it.
Old 11-06-22, 03:21 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
OC rims are not a solution to low quality parts. A well built wheel using quality parts will go the distance. I've seen it and experienced it.
It is indisputable that OC rims build stronger wheels. I have used them for more than a decade and been very satisfied. Whether you need that stronger wheel is an open question that can't be universally stated. My current rear wheel (32 spoke, Velocity A23 OC) has 75,000 miles on it.
Old 11-06-22, 04:48 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
KerryIrons, you and others have raised a valid point. Is the extra strength needed. My point of view falls on the "no" side of the equation. I'm a 235 pound guy that is less than graceful on a mountain bike and have never folded a wheel or broken a spoke on one. My road bikes have lots and lots of miles, with one of them using wheels that I built over 30 years ago and have at least 50,000 miles on them. Zero issues with those wheels.
On my ti bike the wheels are newer, 4 seasons old and only 7000 miles on them, but they have yet to require any truing or tensioning. My son rides like I used to ride, 4-5 thousand miles a year and he has zero issues with traditional rims as long as he is using quality parts.
I say most people do not need the additional spoke tension that an OC rim provides on the non-drive side spokes. If a clod like me doesn't need it, then I earnestly doubt anyone else will.
Old 11-06-22, 06:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Bontrager made an OC touring rim about 20 years ago, I've a rear wheel with one, built up by Rivendell on a Deore 135mm hub. Needless to say its a bombproof wheel, I've never had to fix truing issues. Not made anymore, I doubt Bontrager still makes this rim.
Old 11-06-22, 10:00 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Why does everyone assume that wheels are built poorly or that the parts are substandard? All things being equal, OC rims make for better triangulated spokes with less of a spoke tension differential between the drive and nondrive sides. A well built wheel with an OC rim (and triple butted spokes) will go beyond the distance.

I say most people do not need the additional spoke tension that an OC rim provides on the non-drive side spokes. If a clod like me doesn't need it, then I earnestly doubt anyone else will.
On of the most frequent posts on these forums and one of the most common problems in bike shops is broken spokes. Just because you haven’t broken one doesn’t mean that spoke breakage is not a problem for others. A quick google search of “how common are broken spokes” returns nearly 42 million hits. If they were never a problem, we wouldn’t need procedures on how to replace them.

There are other benefits of the OC rim as well. The increased triangulation makes for a stiffer wheel. The need for a stiffer wheel…and the gradual increase in hub width…is especially important in 29ers, more so when you carve out the extra space needed for a disc brake.

The bottom line is that off-center drilled rims and stronger spokes make for stronger, more durable wheels than wheels that are built without them. Many people can benefit from these improvements.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-06-22, 10:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Just because you haven’t broken one doesn’t mean that spoke breakage is not a problem for others. A quick google search of “how common are broken spokes” returns nearly 42 million hits.
A quick Google search of "Are lizard people real?" returns 28 million hits.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-06-22, 11:24 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
A quick Google search of "Are lizard people real?" returns 28 million hits.
Non sequitur much? A very large proportion of those hits are saying “no, they aren’t”. There aren’t a lot of people saying that spokes don’t break.

Old 11-06-22, 11:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Non sequitur much? A very large proportion of those hits are saying “no, they aren’t”. There aren’t a lot of people saying that spokes don’t break.
Your statement implied a large number of Google hits supported the idea that broken spokes are a problem. The number of hits is meaningless.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-07-22, 07:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I definitely like OC rims, but I generally don't bother buying them. Didn't a couple of companies have problems with them early on?
Old 11-07-22, 08:01 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I don’t know, it’s caught on with me, since my sources for nos vintage Campy rims have dried out. Have used the Velocity A23 OC on my last 5 builds, also have 2 more builds in progress that will use them.
Tim

91 Schwinn Traveler

91 Series 5 PDG Paramount
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 11-07-22, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Your statement implied a large number of Google hits supported the idea that broken spokes are a problem. The number of hits is meaningless.
No. Go do the search yourself and look at just some of the results or just pay attention on the Bike Forums. It is a frequent topic and a very common problem.

Old 11-07-22, 10:24 AM
njkayaker

No. Go do the search yourself and look at just some of the results or just pay attention on the Bike Forums. It is a frequent topic and a very common problem.
We still have no idea how much OC rims would reduce the frequency of that problem.
Old 11-07-22, 12:07 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I know plenty of people who have broken spokes, but none who believe in Lizard People.

Of course, Lizard People have not come up in conversation, much. I’ll have to dig a little deeper on that one.