Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

car threads on a bike forum

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 11:48 PM
ZiP0082

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

unfortunate.
Old 08-02-08, 11:54 PM
johnprolly
prolly is not probably

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're of the small percentage of people who can rely 100% on autonomous transportation. Cars aren't evil. People that think cars are evil are just as ignorant as people who think bikes don't belong on the road...
Old 08-03-08, 12:07 AM
kbencsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cars are great, bikes are great, whats not to like
Old 08-03-08, 12:10 AM
Tom88

Bikes: mktt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not like they take up a huge amount of space. whats wrong with sharing similar interests?
Old 08-03-08, 12:46 AM
andrewro
shiz bichiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gotta take care of business one way or another..
Old 08-03-08, 01:16 AM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I know a girl who achieved no small amount of internet notoriety back in the day by coining the phrase, "manage your own damned usenet." The idea being that all established policies aside, if someone is posting something you don't like you have every right to ignore or not read the offending material as opposed

Kinda applies here, methinks. I don't much like seeing cars in here either, but the threads aren't blatantly off-topic so I just ignore 'em.
Old 08-03-08, 01:25 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
oh noes, teh cagers have bought in to fixed gear culture!
Old 08-03-08, 01:53 AM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnprolly
We're of the small percentage of people who can rely 100% on autonomous transportation. Cars aren't evil. People that think cars are evil are just as ignorant as people who think bikes don't belong on the road...
But this is a goddamn bike forum. Get your "subies" out of here.
Old 08-03-08, 02:11 AM
Rob1900
career-courier

Bikes: Alien frame build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
meh, i like cars, i just think that driving brings out the worst in most people.
Old 08-03-08, 04:51 AM
filtersweep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my car...

...parked in the garage.

Seriously, it is nice to have when I need it--- but it is even nicer to very rarely need it. But is seems a bit juvenile to have some unnatural love for a particular brand of vehicle (especially a second-tier Japanese brand.)
Old 08-03-08, 05:14 AM
Joetheshmo
P.L.U.R

Bikes: 1985 Shwinn World 10 speed, 1970-ish Centurion Converted to Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
I like my car...

...parked in the garage.

Seriously, it is nice to have when I need it--- but it is even nicer to very rarely need it. But is seems a bit juvenile to have some unnatural love for a particular brand of vehicle (especially a second-tier Japanese brand.)
+1
Old 08-03-08, 05:38 AM
91MF
i'll probably break it

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i grew up with cars. my dads daily driver back in the early eighties was a '67 dodge coronet 383. there were four others of similar vintage in the driveway. my dad and i had nothing in common except for cars back then. my tastes have changed to german, turbocharged and diesel now but we still have that shared love of cars, plus im an audi technican by trade so cars are very important to me. my wife and kid would be hungry on the street if it wasnt for cars.
this has been discussed in hockdub's 'volkswagens and fixies' thread but the fixed gear culture [even if some dislike it] has customization much like car culture. swapping parts to change the appearance or even fabrication [tho this is rare in the bike scene] is all accepted on some level.

some people will ride the complete they bought from bikesdirect and some will scour ebay for aerospokes or whatever and tarck-out their bike. some will fall tastefully in between. its all personal choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOHhV1EFe4

haha

Last edited by 91MF; 08-03-08 at 06:00 AM. Reason: youtube edit.
Old 08-03-08, 07:00 AM
luckycat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a big fan of car culture and have never owned a car but could really care less if someone posts their cars... That said, it seems that all these guys with fancy cars tend to have pretty mediocre bikes, different priorities I suppose.
Old 08-03-08, 07:10 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
I guess you can ignore it but this is a bike forum (hence the name) if someone wants to show their cars they should go to a car forum. They just show their bikes with the cars so they dont get their **** removed.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 08-03-08, 07:12 AM
sherief

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
agreeing with luckycat...

I don't want to sound like some contrarian troll, but the car/bike combo seems to come out at its worst in the SSFG forum and Road cycling forum. The former is racers and weekend warriors, but I suspect that when you've got one gear, no brakes or rack mounts, you're pretty much always going to need to have that car for a great deal of carrying/transporting/long distance scenarios. My snarky 2c.
Old 08-03-08, 07:25 AM
bionnaki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luckycat
That said, it seems that all these guys with fancy cars tend to have pretty mediocre bikes, different priorities I suppose.
+1
Old 08-03-08, 08:12 AM
drainyoo

Bikes: Capo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+100.
Old 08-03-08, 08:20 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Cars aren't evil, just not worth using. YES! I own a car, two cars actually, but Im slowly weening myself off them, after 23 years of driving Im trying hard to loose my habitual dependence of them
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 08-03-08, 08:33 AM
peabodypride
No plan.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never got my permit and never sat in the driver's seat of a car. I have never needed one and don't see myself needing one. Cue rant about low-MPG cars, suburban sprawl, poor transit systems, obesity from driving, etc, etc, etc. At the end of the day these "9mpg hobby cars" are not only pollutants, but pollutants with no real purpose. Whatever, I'll go back to my bubble.

BIKES ROOL CARZ DROOL
Old 08-03-08, 08:36 AM
ban guzzi
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grew up around cars and drag races. I like cars but they DO have other homes on the net. Fixed and tuner cars seem to go hand in hand (along with respectable sofas' and rehabed shoes!) with the hip/hipster crowd. Give it time. They WILL move on. Trend locusts always do...
Old 08-03-08, 10:05 AM
nerdsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1
Old 08-03-08, 10:12 AM
dave22
mobile spin class

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most car forums have "Show Your Bike" threads and nobody gripes there. Hmmm.
Old 08-03-08, 10:15 AM
Mayday328

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
People here make me laugh. If some of you would take the time to read whole threads, like the volkswagen and fixie thread, you would realize that many people no longer own the cars that they posted, like myself. Car culture was a passing fad for me but that doesn't mean I'm not still proud of what I put into my cars and what others have put into theirs. And besides, cars are not going away any time soon, so tough.
Old 08-03-08, 10:16 AM
onespeed89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikes>cars.
Old 08-03-08, 11:46 AM
iansmash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
I like my car...

...parked in the garage.

to each their own, but in the defense of subaru drivers/fans, there is racing history behind Subaru. It's not like they're in love with kia's or something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.