Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Concorde - Columbus EGO Tubing

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 05:23 PM
aceves 

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 55 Posts

Hi BF Members,

I recently acquired a 1993 Concorde Squadra with Columbus EGO tubing and Ultech dropouts. I got it as a frame & fork only. My plan for this project is a retro w/ modern components build. I have done lots of research, but there is very little information on Columbus EGO tubing. I am asking the BF Community to provide me with any useful information you all have on this tubing specifically, and on Concorde Squadras in general.

I searched for information here on BF, and there was some mention of this tubing back in 2007, but not much more.

I will post pics shortly. Thank you all!!

aceves
Old 09-15-20, 07:54 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
New one to me, EL-OS and EL I heard of but not EGO...wonder if this is part of the "Brain/Neuron/Genius" period of Columbus tube set naming? Include a good pic of the tubing decal, please.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-16-20, 03:03 PM
aceves 

Thank you for your reply @unworthy1. I believe it is Columbus Nivachrom tubing. The decals were removed from my frame, but I am certain - via my research - that this is EGO tubing. I will post some pics from other EGO tubesets I found online, but first, here are some pics of my frame. The tubes are ovalized and slightly oversized. It is similar to Columbus MAX tubing, but not the same, so I have ruled that out.

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 09-16-20 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For aceves:
Old 09-16-20, 03:05 PM
aceves 

And here are some pics of proper Columbus EGO tubing (and EGO decals) on a couple of Olmos and another Concorde. Really cool tubing and craftmanship!

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 09-16-20 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-16-20, 06:51 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Interesting this is when Columbus was seemingly coming up with new names for tubing almost every month, but a really sharp-looking Concorde and appears to have an "aero bladed" fork like the "AiR" that Tommasini and others used plus shaped-profile tubes (at least the down tube). Thanks for sharing the pix, keep us updated on your build progress
Old 09-21-20, 03:11 PM
aceves 

Thank you unworthy1. I am still seeking some additional information on EGO tubing. I believe Lattz and perhaps juvela might have some info on this tubing. Any other members out there familiar with EGO?

aceves
Old 09-21-20, 03:48 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
I think there's a law that any time you think you've figured everything out about Columbus, there's another tubeset you've never heard of.
Old 11-06-20, 07:25 PM
aceves 

Hi everyone,

I am re-posting this thread one more time to see if any BF members have any information on Columbus EGO tubing. It is an obscure tube-set, but all my research says it is a good one. I will take any info you may have!

Thank you!

aceves

Last edited by aceves; 11-06-20 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-07-20, 03:45 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by aceves
Hi everyone,

I am re-posting this thread one more time to see if any BF members have any information on Columbus EGO tubing. It is an obscure tube-set, but all my research says it is a good one. I will take any info you may have!

Thank you!

aceves
I don't have new information, but can you please type out what is written on the bottom line of the Columbus decal? I'm surprised to see it is not in Italian.
Old 11-07-20, 07:17 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Hi there, aceves , first of all congratulations! Really nice buy. I know how you feel, I also tried to search for info without success. I own a Rossin 650/650 Triathlon bike with EGO tubing, called "The tiny EGOist", that I literally obtained only for the shape of the tubes, I had no idea back then what are these and never hard of EGO before. So, EGO was Air's successor in the aero tubes biz. They are not featherlight (you must know it already) but a work of art in my book, and hell yeah, this is really a small club...
I estimate the tubeset to be 96'ish, and I guess the ban on the Lo Pros helped it to have a really short lifecycle besides the ramp up of carbon frames.
I posted a bunch of bikes in the Vintage TT thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/21499900-post1324.html
Actually the last frame is the lopro-sibling of my Rossin, mine had the same blue pain originally (hard to believe), just faded to this (I'm in love with the color) on the pics. Note that the LoPros had a dedicated wedge shaped head tube, but not all builders utilized that.
Since EGO or not, I didn't want 650/650 (rather a 700/650) I'm constantly keeping my eye on a Squadra frame like yours, which is for sale for a while now in The Netherlands, nice bikes...

Last edited by Lattz; 11-07-20 at 07:21 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 11-07-20, 08:32 PM
aceves 

Hi Road Fan, it says Sharper Chrono Project at the bottom of the Columbus EGO decal.
Old 11-07-20, 08:34 PM
aceves 

And hi Lattz, thank you for that information! Yes, I’m very pleased with my purchase. Good to know that there are other EGO owners out there. I knew about the AIR lineage, but info is still limited. Great pics of your bike! I will check out the link you provided.

Thank you!

aceves
Old 11-07-20, 09:08 PM
Seanaus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Can you post a picture of the whole frame please, I'm interested to see what it looks like. Is it like this one > Concorde Squadra steel aero bike project | Retrobike

The only Squadra I have experience with is the lugged version in SLX, with Cinelli lugs and bottom bracket. Simply put, it's the best riding of my steel fleet, and so good that I want a TSX version as well. My impression is that Squadra was a bit of a catch all name for their top end road stuff.

Last edited by Seanaus; 11-07-20 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 08:28 PM
shuru421

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 20 Posts
That fork looks like a Columbus Max fork
Old 11-10-20, 04:01 AM
Seanaus

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by shuru421
That fork looks like a Columbus Max fork
I believe you are correct sir... I'm keen to pictures of the whole frameset.
Old 12-09-20, 11:17 AM
Dave_Chelt

Bikes: Raleigh Quadra, Dancelli Max, Sancineto Max, Chesini Innovation, Chesini K2, Scapin KS-Pro, Cotic Roadrat, Concorde Squadra, Olmo Super Light

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The original pictures posted don't seem to be a complete Ego tubeset - the TT looks too round (the Ego TT is highly ovalised) an the chain stays also look very round (I think that the Ego set might have used the same chainstays as the Max tubeset). I had only seen bikes from Concorde; Olmo and Telfer made with the complete tubeset although other makers (Dancelli; Somec; and Merckx) have built frames that use some of the Ego tubes. Rossin is obviously among those who built frames with the compete tubeset (nice bike Lattz ).

Here's the Telfer frame:

I have an Olmo Super Light:

It would be interesting see some more photos of your Concorde OP?

Found one!

Last edited by Dave_Chelt; 03-08-21 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added photo