Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Climbing Wheels Funner to Ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Climbing Wheels Funner to Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 02:10 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Well, my sub-300 gram wheels certainly spin up faster than my 1800 gram wheels on the MTB. If I swap to lighter tires, the difference is even more significant. Plus, all my climb PRs are on the lighter wheelset, so I ordered a darn light MTB as well this week and will just get the best of both worlds. The 33 lb bike can keep the 1800-gram sluggish wheelset for trail blasting. and my 23.5 lb race bike can keep the sub-1300 gram wheelset for racing.
Old 04-11-24, 04:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4490 Post(s)
Liked 4,962 Times in 3,067 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Well, my sub-300 gram wheels certainly spin up faster than my 1800 gram wheels on the MTB. If I swap to lighter tires, the difference is even more significant. Plus, all my climb PRs are on the lighter wheelset, so I ordered a darn light MTB as well this week and will just get the best of both worlds. The 33 lb bike can keep the 1800-gram sluggish wheelset for trail blasting. and my 23.5 lb race bike can keep the sub-1300 gram wheelset for racing.
Your wheels are still only a small percentage of the total weight you are accelerating, even when accounting for rotation.

So if say your total mass was 85 kg and you accelerated at 5 W/kg ie 425W. If we reduce your weight by 1 kg (the equivalent of 500g of rotating rim mass) now you only need to produce 420W at 5 W/kg. A saving of 5W and only while accelerating at a high power output. It’s not nothing, but talk of spinning up wheels faster is really nonsense.

On a steady state climb you get more of an advantage from the weight saving, but then it’s just the same effect as static mass. You can plug that into one of the bike mass/power calculators to see the effect of 0.5 kg weight saving on a given slope.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-11-24, 04:43 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

I donlt think it is all about weight savings but where that weight is. First there is sprung vs. unsprung weight, and then pure rotating weight (rim/tire). I just look at the data (power/HR) and compare the two when I swap wheelsets on climbs (mainly climbs...I do not bother with the lighter wheels when climbing a flat 30 miles with 1K-2K of climbing). I am always faster on the climbs and I always accelerate faster when on wheels that are 500 grams lighter. Of course, if I swap to lighter/faster-tread tires, the diff is pretty significant. I usually swapped wheels when climbing 3-6K in 20-40 miles. So then I figured...now I see why racers use light wheels AND light bikes. So why not me! Well, in comes the 23.5 lb Specialized Epic!
Old 04-11-24, 05:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked 1,510 Times in 1,047 Posts
Well, my sub-300 gram wheels ...
Wow!

I do not bother with the lighter wheels when climbing a flat 30 miles with 1K-2K of climbing
This pretty much describes almost all of my bike rides, so I guess I should be glad I ordered the deeper wheels.
Old 04-11-24, 05:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10487 Post(s)
Liked 12,014 Times in 6,151 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Whenever I read gear reviews filled with subjective, unquantifiable, nonsense like that, I reflect on 3.5 decades of getting my ass hazed over the tiniest chances of unblinding in human studies. Of course, I also have my own feelings about wheels.
You just need one of these...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-11-24, 05:34 PM
Chandne

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Wow!

This pretty much describes almost all of my bike rides, so I guess I should be glad I ordered the deeper wheels.
Haha sorry- sub 1,300. My experience with light wheels mostly centers around mtn biking. The climbing and also the stop-go technical sections. We can do that dozens and dozens of times on a ride- there light wheels and light bikes are so much more fun and easier on the body. On the road and for flatter rides, you may not feel as much of a difference between wheels 200 grams apart. My ZIPPs are pretty darn light but compared to my ENVE Foundation 45s, they really just feel very nice...compliant, light, springy. If I had a chance to get even lighter wheels, I probably would, but the 303FCs are the lightest road wheels I have ever owned.
Old 04-11-24, 05:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2003 Post(s)
Liked 1,510 Times in 1,047 Posts
Haha sorry- sub 1,300.
I thought you must have been describing rim weight; a CF rim < 300 g is pretty light.

If I had a chance to get even lighter wheels, I probably would, but the 303FCs are the lightest road wheels I have ever owned.
Those are pretty light, but at 90 kg, hookless are not for me.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-12-24, 03:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,530 Times in 1,857 Posts
I have a dinosaur 26" MTB with very light Industry Nine wheels, and since I don't ride long MTB trails, (well, I don't ride MTB at all lately but when I was fit for it) but mostly stuff carved out of limited space with an emphasis on features (climbs, descents, corners packed in tight) which suited fast wheels.

On a road ride the difference might be negligible because one only really stops/starts a very few times (assuming an actual road ride, not a closed-course event) so those few seconds of joy in an hour or two 's ride don't mean much numerically (if only engineers could measure happiness, eh? ) but on a constant-spurt dirt ride the difference seems more substantial.