Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 02:29 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Worked a bit on the 4-speed shifter today but I wanted to show the different hubs I have side by side:

Left to right:
- 1958 FM four speed
- 1983 freewheel drum brake
- RX-RD5 70mm drum 5-speed
- XL-RD5 90mm drum 5-speed

With the exception of the FM I bought most of these for prices between €4-30. I still want to put the XL into a porteur bike. That will probably be a project for next year though.
Old 04-29-18, 06:49 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Funny Ad on Kijiji, Toronto:

Vintage Raleigh Folder Bike - a Hipsters Delight

Check out this “old school” folding Raleigh bike! It’s a hipsters delight! Let me paint a picture for you - you are a 35 year old man sporting a beard that even the members of ZZ Top would envy, and riding your newly acquired bicycle to a friends house in a recently gentrified neighbourhood. The plan is to exchange witty banter with your companion while sipping on craft beer and listening to Indie-rock vinyl records. On the front of the bicycle is a basket carrying an organic vegan cookbook and a pair of vintage sneakers. You arrive at you friends house, dismount, and clean your thick rimmed classes with a polka dot handkerchief. Your friend appears at the door sporting his wool toque and a pair of skinny jeans. He unloads your basket while you effortlessly fold your bicycle and carry it inside. “Wow!”- exclaims your friend. “That bicycle is so authentic. It’s like an anecdote to those high tech, mass produced modern road bikes.” It’s a hipsters delight! $80 (note: you don’t have to be a hipster to buy this bike.)

64 visits
Old 04-29-18, 07:02 PM
RobHalligan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Nice one! Which parts went into the oxalic acid? I've never used that technique.
Painted or chromed surfaces work. Brake pads disintegrate. I try to keep rubber, plastic, and greased surfaces out of the OA. I'll dip a frame with mudguards with handlebars and brakes by flipping it around every day or so to keep the bottom bracket and headset out of the OA. Parts seem to re-rust quickly after dipping so I clearcoat before putting the item back in use.
Old 04-29-18, 08:52 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@gster - I have to laugh at that ad. It perfectly describes the Portland, OR bike and social scene!

Heck, even I wear skinny jeans (corduroys), a wool beanie and big glasses. I can’t grow a mustache though.
Old 04-30-18, 06:02 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Punctuation and spelling mistakes done ironically or for real? Only the hipsters know for sure. And it was mass produced.
Check out this “old school” folding Raleigh bike! It’s a hipsters delight! Let me paint a picture for you - you are a 35 year old man sporting a beard that even the members of ZZ Top would envy, and riding your newly acquired bicycle to a friends house in a recently gentrified neighbourhood. The plan is to exchange witty banter with your companion while sipping on craft beer and listening to Indie-rock vinyl records. On the front of the bicycle is a basket carrying an organic vegan cookbook and a pair of vintage sneakers. You arrive at you friends house, dismount, and clean your thick rimmed classes with a polka dot handkerchief. Your friend appears at the door sporting his wool toque and a pair of skinny jeans. He unloads your basket while you effortlessly fold your bicycle and carry it inside. “Wow!”- exclaims your friend. “That bicycle is so authentic. It’s like an anecdote to those high tech, mass produced modern road bikes.” It’s a hipsters delight! $80 (note: you don’t have to be a hipster to buy this bike.)
Old 04-30-18, 06:33 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Funny Ad on Kijiji, Toronto:Vintage Raleigh Folder Bike - a Hipsters Delight

64 visits
I hope Wikileaks never gets hold of that hipster registry. But around these parts, $80 would be a heck of a good price for that bike.
Old 04-30-18, 06:41 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Originally Posted by BigChief
Those rims look like they're still good. The thing to decide is if you want the wheels for a cheap fix or to clean up and keep for spare parts. Chances are that the spoke nipples are frozen and penetrating oil may or may not get them working. In either case, I use a wire wheel on my drill to take of the rust on the inside down to steel. I try to leave any good chrome I can. Then I give it a couple coats of silver Rustoleum. I polish the tops as best as I can and give it a coat of wax.
To do that wire brush stuff I beg an extension cord from the building's super and he lets me run it out a basement window so I can work outside. Don't hold out much hope for those original spokes, though. Another crazy thought: The guy I overhauled that Space Rider for five years ago, I know he would like a diamond frame, adult size version, too. So I'm thinking about trying to spring the U-lock on that derelict Sports. He leaves for business in Italy over the entire summer so I'd have quite a few months to pull a whole bike together. It'd be kind of the perfect ride as he and his family have nowhere but outside to park a bike.

Last edited by paulb_in_bkln; 04-30-18 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 07:39 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
To do that wire brush stuff I beg an extension cord from the building's super and he lets me run it out a basement window so I can work outside. Don't hold out much hope for those original spokes, though. Another crazy thought: The guy I overhauled that Space Rider for five years ago, I know he would like a diamond frame, adult size version, too. So I'm thinking about trying to spring the U-lock on that derelict Sports. He leaves for business in Italy over the entire summer so I'd have quite a few months to pull a whole bike together. It'd be kind of the perfect ride as he and his family have nowhere but outside to park a bike.
Wow, you really are old fashioned. I haven't seen a plug in drill since the 90s. Most of the time I use a fence wire cutter to snip off the rusted spokes and salvage the rims and hubs. Although, sometimes it's good the have usable wheels ready to do things like buy a cheap stepthrough with really clean wheels, swap them out, get the stepthrough working again and recouping at least some of the money.
Old 04-30-18, 10:07 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
modern Raleigh Sport type 3 speed bikes

Having restored a number of Raleigh "hundred year bicycles" I was wondering, who is making a similar bike currently. By that I mean an internal geared , sturdy bike of similar quality and durability.

And what do such bikes cost new today. The last
Raleigh I restored was built in 1969 and should be good for another 50 years.
Old 04-30-18, 10:45 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Worked a bit on the 4-speed shifter today but I wanted to show the different hubs I have side by side:

Left to right:
- 1958 FM four speed
- 1983 freewheel drum brake
- RX-RD5 70mm drum 5-speed
- XL-RD5 90mm drum 5-speed

With the exception of the FM I bought most of these for prices between €4-30. I still want to put the XL into a porteur bike. That will probably be a project for next year though.
Those alloy FM hubs have a way of breaking their hub bodies. If you really plan to use it, replace the hub body with a steel one.
Old 04-30-18, 11:28 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by capnjonny
Having restored a number of Raleigh "hundred year bicycles" I was wondering, who is making a similar bike currently. By that I mean an internal geared , sturdy bike of similar quality and durability.

Looking sharp. Nice job.
Old 04-30-18, 11:38 AM
BigChief 

Beautiful Sports there!
Not too many companies making traditional roadsters, but there's a couple I can think of.
Raliegh Denmark and Pashley.
Old 04-30-18, 12:10 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts

English made bikes by Pashley. Nice looking bikes -- all I have looked at are 531 frames. Not cheap.
Old 04-30-18, 12:12 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Tall person?
Old 04-30-18, 01:32 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

There's a company called Simcoe that makes Raleigh style bikes w/ 3 and 7 speed hubs.
Priced around $700.00

Old 04-30-18, 03:51 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts

And what do such bikes cost new today.
Nice looking restoration. As for new bikes with internal hubs, there is Linus? https://www.linusbike.com/
Their website is a bit of a challenge to navigate, but I think worth mentioning. I test rode one with the 8 speed last year and thought it was pretty nice.
Old 04-30-18, 04:50 PM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Handsome Fredward ( https://handsomecycles.com/pages/bike-fredward ) can be had with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed.

It isn't an especially relaxed ride, but a Steamroller is 120mm at the fork ends and 3-speeds up nicely.
Old 04-30-18, 05:28 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
I've had a second hand Papillionaire Classic for about a year now. Good price and low mileage, and it has a chromo frame and a nexus 8 (internal gear) hub that I really like. I've read that converting these hubs to oil will make them last a lot longer, but I'm sure not as long as a 3 speed hub. I haven't ridden it since the DL-1 became roadworthy, and now I'm not sure if I should sell it or keep it or for a wet weather bike. I'll have to take it for a ride and decide. I could really do with the money at the moment.
This is from their website (this one is pictured with a 3 speed hub), but I have changed mine to a longer stem and different more comfortable for me handlebars. The weird thing was that the kickstand was too short for the bike so I had to change that out too. It came with a rack as well. I couldn't find a new price online.

20154719647281CLASSIC_BLACK_DEC15_C_8_1920 by arty dave armour, on Flickr
Old 04-30-18, 06:51 PM
gster

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Nice looking restoration. As for new bikes with internal hubs, there is Linus? https://www.linusbike.com/
Their website is a bit of a challenge to navigate, but I think worth mentioning. I test rode one with the 8 speed last year and thought it was pretty nice.
I have a Linus single speed that I quite like.

Last edited by gster; 04-30-18 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 07:32 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Sometimes I wonder if all these current steel city bikes--Public, Linux, Papillionaire, Biria, etc.--might come out of the same Asian factory. But I think they should last as long as people want to use them, even though some components, like bottom brackets and pedals, and some hubs, are serviced by replacing them not cleaning, lubing, and adjusting like with the old Raleighs. Although I particularly wish pedals would be made to be serviceable. I have a Public and those Well-gos, they start clicking in no time. Pedals live a hard life.
Old 04-30-18, 07:33 PM
paulb_in_bkln

I emailed SunRingle to ask directly if the CR18s are being discontinued, and just received a reply. No.
Old 04-30-18, 07:35 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Who here is particularly well-versed in the modern Sturmey-Archer "NIG" 3-speeds? I was doing some reading today, as well as watching Dan Burkhart's video comparing the old and new driver/clutch assemblies, and it got me wondering - other than the driver and clutch, are there any parts that are incompatible? Would it be possible to convert an older hub to NIG with just those parts? If so, are there any disadvantages? I've read that backpedaling while shifting could potentially create issues, and that there might be more drag, but does anyone have experience with this?
Old 04-30-18, 07:42 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by BigChief
TChances are that the spoke nipples are frozen and penetrating oil may or may not get them working. In either case, I use a wire wheel on my drill to take of the rust on the inside down to steel. I try to leave any good chrome I can. Then I give it a couple coats of silver Rustoleum. I polish the tops as best as I can and give it a coat of wax.
I like the silver paint. I haven't visited Pashley's website in quite a long time but I see they use a black alloy update of the Westwood. If they'd make a silvery Westwick and sell them for a reasonable price, that would be neighborly.
Old 04-30-18, 09:51 PM
BigChief 

I like the silver paint. I haven't visited Pashley's website in quite a long time but I see they use a black alloy update of the Westwood. If they'd make a silvery Westwick and sell them for a reasonable price, that would be neighborly.
Those alloy Westwood were for sale for a while both plain and painted black with pinstripes. Only in 36 hole.Pretty sure it was a Flying Pigeon product. It was someplace like Yellow Jersey , I forget, gone now anyway.
Old 04-30-18, 11:15 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
You can get black alloy Westwoods and stainless Westrick rims here https://hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle-...bike-28-1-1-2/ starting from about US$23ish, but only in 36 hole as you say. Postage from the Netherlands might be the killer. The Westricks have a textured braking surface. Ah sorry that link is only to 28 x 1 1/2 rims - I just had a look and they do have some vintage style 26 x 1 3/8 rims but they're mixed in with 559/26" rim listings. Actually there are westwoods in 559 and 590

Last edited by arty dave; 04-30-18 at 11:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.