Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheels, tires, saddles etc

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 10:38 AM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts

Hi folks.

My new BMC Teammachine ALR TWO came with Mavic Open Disc rims (NOT Open PRO) on Formula CL-712 (F)/RXC-1425 (R), Thru Axle hubs: does anyone know anything about these, particularly the rims, which I can't find anything about.

It also came with Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Graphene 2.0 tires: any experiences of these. My goto tires in the past have been GP4000S, so I'm not really familiar with these. They seem ok on first outings.

Saddle: It came with a Fizik Antares R7 saddle which I'd like to replace with a Specialized Toupe, but they don't seem to make the Toupe any more: whats the closest thing to the Toupe put there at the moment?

Sorry for the questions but I've been out of the road bike game for a number of years.
Old 03-10-21, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You trying to find reasons to feel bad about what you got?

Ride the tires till you know what they do or don't do for you. Then when you change to another tire, you can tell either by perception or performance data you've collected, if there really is a difference for you. Or you can just go by the many different opinions here.

Wheels? I would only change wheels if I found something in my price range that was much lighter than the current wheels. Maybe I'd change them for aero benefit if I really cared to get to the line first on a long ride.

Saddle? Your butt isn't my butt.
Old 03-10-21, 11:01 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Iride01
You trying to find reasons to feel bad about what you got?

Ride the tires till you know what they do or don't do for you. Then when you change to another tire, you can tell either by perception or performance data you've collected, if there really is a difference for you. Or you can just go by the many different opinions here.

Wheels? I would only change wheels if I found something in my price range that was much lighter than the current wheels. Maybe I'd change them for aero benefit if I really cared to get to the line first on a long ride.

Saddle? Your butt isn't my butt.
Easy there, dude. Just trying to find out some info. Don't start reading between the lines as there's nothing there.
Old 03-10-21, 11:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Easy there, dude. Just trying to find out some info. Don't start reading between the lines as there's nothing there.
You should always try to read posts and replies by others as friendly and jovial. There was noting I meant as condescending or mean spirited.
Old 03-10-21, 11:05 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Iride01
You should always try to read posts and replies by others as friendly and jovial. There was noting I meant as condescending or mean spirited.
Perhaps you should use more smileys then. Remember, on the internet, no one can see you wink.
Old 03-10-21, 11:08 AM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Specialized is still making Toupe saddles.... they may be impossible to find right now due to the general parts shortages, but I noticed that my LBS didn't have any in stock about a month ago and was assured that they haven't been discontinued....
Old 03-10-21, 11:11 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Beach Bob
Specialized is still making Toupe saddles.... they may be impossible to find right now due to the general parts shortages, but I noticed that my LBS didn't have any in stock about a month ago and was assured that they haven't been discontinued....
They're not listed on the Specialized website.
Old 03-10-21, 05:25 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Interesting, we'll have to see if they come back onto their site when they have stock... I'd hate to have to change to something else myself
Old 03-10-21, 06:45 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Beach Bob
Interesting, we'll have to see if they come back onto their site when they have stock... I'd hate to have to change to something else myself
I've now seen a few places where people have said they've discontinued the Toupe, so we may be out of luck.
Old 03-11-21, 10:57 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have Rubinos on one bike and GP5K on another bike - well, a 5k in the back and an UltraSport on the front. Just in terms of feel, the Contis feel a bit faster on level ground, but the Rubinos feel stickier on descents. Don't know if that feeling actually translates to real-world performance. However, my Rubinos do seem closer to true 25mm, and one always has to check Contis. The GP5k comes pretty close to true 25mm, but the UltraSport, nominally a 28mm, is actually nearly 32mm when inflated - this is the reason why I had to take the OEM UltraSport off the rear (Lynskey can only fit a true 28mm back there, the UltraSport was rubbing).

I know my Rubinos (and previously, Zaffiros) wear quite quickly - easily less than 2k miles to get a very-square profile, with light, but visible squaring around 1k. The GP5k has 1k miles on it, and looks nearly new.

I imagine some of my thoughts on the Rubino translate to the Zaffiro. Vittoria's lineup goes Zaffiro (entry level, training) >> Rubino (general use road) >> Corsa (sport/competition), with Pro denoting folding bead in the Zaffiro and Rubino lines.

I think the GPs are forum favorites, and in terms of wear, appear to be a better value than most Vittorias - but from a performance perspective, I have no problem riding either.
Old 03-11-21, 11:37 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by aliasfox
I have Rubinos on one bike and GP5K on another bike - well, a 5k in the back and an UltraSport on the front. Just in terms of feel, the Contis feel a bit faster on level ground, but the Rubinos feel stickier on descents. Don't know if that feeling actually translates to real-world performance. However, my Rubinos do seem closer to true 25mm, and one always has to check Contis. The GP5k comes pretty close to true 25mm, but the UltraSport, nominally a 28mm, is actually nearly 32mm when inflated - this is the reason why I had to take the OEM UltraSport off the rear (Lynskey can only fit a true 28mm back there, the UltraSport was rubbing).

I know my Rubinos (and previously, Zaffiros) wear quite quickly - easily less than 2k miles to get a very-square profile, with light, but visible squaring around 1k. The GP5k has 1k miles on it, and looks nearly new.

I imagine some of my thoughts on the Rubino translate to the Zaffiro. Vittoria's lineup goes Zaffiro (entry level, training) >> Rubino (general use road) >> Corsa (sport/competition), with Pro denoting folding bead in the Zaffiro and Rubino lines.

I think the GPs are forum favorites, and in terms of wear, appear to be a better value than most Vittorias - but from a performance perspective, I have no problem riding either.
Thanks for the reply. I'll ride the Vittorias for a bit and get some GP5Ks when I'm feeling like treating myself again: They're a bit lighter and I've had good luck with them in the past.

I'm still bemused by the "Open Disc" rims: I can't find any info on them at all: its like they don't exist. I'm guessing they're OEM only.
Old 03-11-21, 12:13 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I think the Phenom replaced the Toupe but not 100% sure of that. If you really liked the Toupe, it would be worth asking Specialized.

As far as wheels and tires go, unless you you are finding some objectionable qualities with the stock ones, I'd ride them for a while.
Old 03-11-21, 12:37 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I think the Phenom replaced the Toupe but not 100% sure of that. If you really liked the Toupe, it would be worth asking Specialized.

As far as wheels and tires go, unless you you are finding some objectionable qualities with the stock ones, I'd ride them for a while.
The Phenom was available at the same time as the Toupe, so I don't think it was a replacement: However Spesh may have thought there was too much overlap between the two and decided to drop the Toupe. Who knows?

I intend to ride them for a bit, I'd just like to find out more about them, particularly the rims.
Old 03-11-21, 05:26 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
The Bontrager Montrose has a very similar shape to the Toupe and is a few dollars cheaper.
Old 03-13-21, 12:03 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I prefer Vittoria tires over Continental, but it looks like Zaffiro is less about speed and more about flat protection as compared to the GP4000. If you're not worried about gaining an extra 0.1 mph average speed, run these tires until and unless you find something you don't like.

Keep in mind that your rear's taste in saddles may have changed, especially if you have lost fitness and/or gained weight. I just came back after about 10 years off and found that I now need a more upright position and therefore a different saddle. Ironically, my Toupe now sits on the shelf while I enjoy the Rival saddle that came on my bike.