Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Possible to get larger cassette for Canyon Grail 7 1by?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 01:56 PM
urbanbiker1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering buying a Canyon Grail 7 1by, which comes stock with a 40t crank and an 11s 11-42t cassette. I want to use the bike for bikepacking, so I'd like a lower lowest gear ratio for climbing with a loaded bike. The stock crank and cassette result in a lowest gear ratio of ~0.95. I was thinking of replacing the stock cassette with an 11-46t, giving me a lowest gear ratio of ~0.87. (I'd use the same Shimano SLX M7000, just in the 11-46t size rather than the stock 11-42t size.)

My question is: Would this replacement work with the other parts? If not, is there an adjustment or extra part(s) I could add that would make it possible? Thanks!
Old 03-27-22, 03:15 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The GS cage SLX derailleur should be fine w/ a 1x and 46, for a double it's limited to a 42. Should work.
Old 03-28-22, 01:31 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
In all my touring, including trips over the high sierras, the lowest gears I have used is 39/28 or 36 gear inches. Last week I replaced the 11-42T on my Specialized road bike with a 11-34T cassette. I would have gone with a 11-32T but these are not in stock from bike suppliers and not supposed to be available until June of 2022 at the very earliest.

Unless I was touring in a third world country I would not choose a gravel bike with gravel bike rims and tires and handlebars. I would pick what is termed an "endurance" bike that has similar relaxed geometry but road bike components. Something like the Trek Domane AL 4 which has mounting places for racks and fenders, and a 10-speed 11-32 cassette and chain with 54/34 chainrings. It comes with 70x32 large volume tires that are still narrow enough to be able to mount fenders on the bike.

My first long distance trip was 900 miles and I have 25 lbs of gear on my bike. My second such trip the weight was down to 15 lbs and that included my sleeping bag, ground sheet, Svea stove and fuel, spare parts, tools, patch kit and two spare sewup tires. And that was in the days when one might need to go 300 or more miles to get to a bike shop of any kind for anything and before the advent of cell phones when one needed to be 100% self sufficient.

I would start with some 50+ mile rides with your current bike fitted out with a rear rack and panniers and loaded as for a trip. See how much weight you actually need to carry an have what are essentials for repairs and camping and the weather. There is an old adage with backpackers that one tends to fill the backpack and the larger the backpack the greater the load one will need to carry. Same applies to bike touring where in the USA one can do fine with rear panniers and a couple of water bottles and a credit card.