Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Will I regret if I don't purchase Di2?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Will I regret if I don't purchase Di2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 11:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I have Sram electronic on my gravel bike (2X AXS Etap "wide"), but I think the issue is the same Sram or Shimano. I got it just because I could afford it and at my age (late 60s) I just thought if not now, when would I try it? Anyway, it's fun, but not critical. My assessment is that if the electronic shifting is, let's say an A+ grade, then modern, well tuned mechanical shifting is a solid A. In other words, both are excellent. If you can afford it and it interests and appeals to you, get it, you won't regret it at all. But if you decide not to, just forget about it and enjoy the excellence that modern mechanical shifting is.

We are using our Etap bikes for long term travel with our travel trailer from time to time, mostly in highly rural areas. Although I've had zero problems with either the electronic shifting or the hydraulic discs, I do worry a little what I'd do if something failed and had to be repaired or replaced in the middle of Canada or remote-ish western US. With our old cross/gravel bikes with mechanical shifting and cable V brakes, I simply had a little bag of spare parts -cables, chain, brake pads, etc. - and could be totally self sufficient. I don't mind bringing similar corresponding parts for the Etap/hydro system, but I'm pretty sure failure of the Etap would require replacement of major components which, if not readily available (which is highly likely), would make us dead in the water, and hard to get mail order as we travel around. Mechanical derailleurs, etc. would be relatively easy to replace or find reasonable substitutes. Plus, if the hydro brakes need adjustment, I'd probably need to have a bleed kit on hand, maybe even hoses. Not a big deal at home, but much bigger deal on the road than just replacing brake cables and/or simply adjusting V brakes. I'm thinking seriously about re-converting the bikes to mechanical shifting and mechanical discs before our next trip and putting the current ETap hydro parts in storage for when we get back to mostly home-based riding, or short term travel.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind, that although I do like this stuff, I wouldn't consider it for extensive touring or the type of out of the way travel we do.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-14-22 at 11:40 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-15-22, 07:46 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
The only real cons to Di2 is cost and battery anxiety. Throw in the needless complexity argument and those are all pretty good reasons to skip electronic shifting.

The pros of electronic shifting are dubious at best, but the auto trim FD and light touch required to shift are the real standouts for me. I will say though, there is something special about the GRX Di2 levers and the improved braking power. The ergonomics and esthetics of the hoods IMO is far superior to anything else on the market. The only one close would be Campagnolo in terms of overall size.

I got lucky with discounted pricing and full availability before the major parts shortages arrived. However, due to the high overall cost I doubt I would swap a Di2 system onto an existing bike again.

Availability is the real problem right now. My assumption is that we will see a limited restock of 11spd GRX Di2 right before the new 12spd GRX comes out. If you are dead set on it I would see if you can secure an order for a complete bike and be patient.
Old 04-15-22, 09:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
…the auto trim FD and light touch required to shift are the real standouts for me.
Those are my favorite elements, too (on eTap AXS).
Old 04-16-22, 09:32 PM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Battery anxiety on Di2 is not really a thing for me. I ride my bike not irregularly (maybe a few thousand miles a year) and charge it every few months. I've only had one time when my front mech stopped shifting because my battery was too low (it auto disables the front to conserve power and you're supposed to get a bunch of shifts out of it before it completely drains).

I've probably charged it less than 10 times since I've owned my bike when I bought it in 2019. I shift it quite a bit but I mean it does vary with use. Still, as I've heard; if you're not going to be checking your battery levels now and again, you're probably also not going to be checking your mechanical alignments and tension anyway.
Old 04-17-22, 02:52 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Bikes: Raleigh 2015 Revenio 1.0, 2021 Canyon Endurace AL Disc 6.0

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks, everyone! I've decided to go with the GRX 800 and use the rest of the money I saved for pedals, and bike packing stuff I will need like a tent and such. I am sure my days of getting Di2 will be there just not now.
Likes For Geo_Zegarra2016:
Old 04-29-22, 11:07 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
I think you made the best choice with GRX800. I can't imagine a scenario where I would find Di2 a life-changer (for the better, that is). I just bought a bike with cable disc brakes because I don't want the complications (whether or not they exist) of hydraulic. Life's simpler when you're a Luddite! Enjoy your bike-packing.