Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Catastrophic Failures of Carbon Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 07:55 AM
Bill Gem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone hear the story on NPR this morning regarding a lawsuit involving catastrophic carbon bike failure? The attorney who was interviewed dozens of cases of such failure with accompanying serious injury. Dozens of cases were cited.
Old 08-18-18, 08:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
tick .... tick ... .tick ...

ASPLOSION!1!!!!!!!!

Few survive, none unscarred, from this silently creeping horror which stalks cyclists across the land .... Catastrophic Carbon Collapse Syndrome----if you are reading these words, you are probably next.

if it has laready killed you ---you are probably not reading these words.

None of us are safe except those it has already claimed.

Try to run, try to hide .... The Aslosion Is Coming For YOU!

I hear the next Sharknado movie, the sharks will be riding CF bikes frames from China---it was the only thing that could scare people who had seen the previous six.----"Sharknado VII---Dengfu is coming for You!"
Old 08-18-18, 08:30 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Oy vey...

Here we go again.

So, the take away from the article is that carbon is robust and an excellent material. The fault lies with cheaply made and poorly maintained CF bikes.

I can deal with that.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 08-18-18 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-18-18, 08:32 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well thanks to your post I went down the rabbit hole of catastrophic carbon component failure and found this article posted in July by Outside magazine that discusses this is some detail:

Why Carbon Fiber Bikes Are Failing

I've got a carbon fiber bike that I bought new from Bikesdirect... I guess you guys probably wont hear about me getting creamed by Feathers self destructing... C'est la vie
Old 08-18-18, 08:33 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
No, and I can't seem to find any reference to it on their website.
Old 08-18-18, 08:55 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by General Geoff
No, and I can't seem to find any reference to it on their website.
hope this helps!

Carbon Fiber Bike Failures Spotlight Dangers Of Counterfeits
Old 08-18-18, 08:57 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Thanks for the link, the audio doesn't seem to be available yet
Old 08-18-18, 09:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
# 1, don't run into the back of your team support car..
Old 08-18-18, 09:10 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I hear the next Sharknado movie, the sharks will be riding CF bikes frames from China---it was the only thing that could scare people who had seen the previous six.----"Sharknado VII---Dengfu is coming for You!"

Biggest failure I've had with carbon fiber is my inability to afford it!
Old 08-18-18, 09:45 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Gem
Anyone hear the story on NPR this morning regarding a lawsuit involving catastrophic carbon bike failure? The attorney who was interviewed dozens of cases of such failure with accompanying serious injury. Dozens of cases were cited.
Concern of CF failure is a valid reason not to ride it. Many will insist that it is plenty safe, and I'd agree. But, it is not possible for different materials to have identical failure rates, (and more importantly here, failure modes!) one has to be more risky than the others, even if only by a small amount. Every rider should do their own research and make their own decisions.

I can safely say that no CF frame, fork, or any other CF part will ever catastrophically fail on me, because there won't be any. Hey, just doing my part to energize the thread.
Old 08-18-18, 10:10 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Wait... does this mean that there are counterfeit carbon frames emulating quality made Chinese carbon frames?
Old 08-18-18, 10:20 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
I said this in another thread, but somewhere there is a video of a guy doing interesting, detailed analyses of carbon frame cutaways from all the manufacturers and comparing them. It was a video posted here like 2 years ago, but I can't find it.
Old 08-18-18, 10:46 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
Wait... does this mean that there are counterfeit carbon frames emulating quality made Chinese carbon frames?
This is a 2015 article about a test of a real vs counterfeit Tarmac SL4. It used to have pictures. I think for the most part these counterfeiters have stopped trying to pass them off as big name brand bikes, and now they just put their own brand name on them. The $400 Ali Express frames.

https://www.velonews.com/not-all-fra...nterfeit-bikes
Old 08-18-18, 10:50 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by puma1552
I said this in another thread, but somewhere there is a video of a guy doing interesting, detailed analyses of carbon frame cutaways from all the manufacturers and comparing them. It was a video posted here like 2 years ago, but I can't find it.
Well, couldn't find a video in the thread, but I think this is the one you're talking about?

Carbon fiber frame cutaway thread. Internal structure of bike frame pictures & links

I'd be interested in a video of carbon cutaways myself, off to the Googles!!!!
Old 08-18-18, 11:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Some former aerospace engineer from Australia cut up brand-name bike frames ...

I tend to be more practical ... I know a Lot of people who ride carbon, I am on a couple bike sites, i have Facebook riding networks ... and No one has had a CF frame of fork failure in that group ... except for a guy here who crashed and found a crack in his fork and said the fork cracked and caused the crash ... because.

When I was deciding whether or not to trust Workswell, i did a ton of research---well, internet research, not lab work. What I found was exactly the same unsupported horror stories and the same notion that there was a worldwide all-poerful pro-CF conspiracy, carefully covering up every CF component failure, burying the bodies deep and late at night, both literally and figuratively.

Five years later, still no bodies. Still no successful court cases revealing the global network of undercover CF agents hiding the countless cases of asplosion.

there are people who refuse to fly and prefer to drive. Numbers proving flying is safer per mile ... no impact. There are still Flat-Earthers. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

The worst part of having CF bikes is that I am tempted not to ride my heavier metal bikes on any ride where there will be serious hills. My poor metal bikes languish.
Old 08-18-18, 11:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Again lets label these bike at to what they really are. They are CF reinforced plastic. There is simply no way getting around the fact that plastic ages quite fast. The simple fact remains, if a pound or two is worth the risk, keep pouring your money into a risky product go right ahead and buy them. The mfg are more than willing to take your money for an over priced and probably flawed product.

Pro CF bike proponents keep mentioning airplanes. Keep in mind this fact. At least 3 CF tails have broken off French Airbus airplanes. Many senior pilots refuse to fly them or allow their families to ride on them.
Old 08-18-18, 11:15 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Are most of these failures the steering tube on carbon forks, and aren't those tubes aluminum, at least in some cases?
Old 08-18-18, 11:15 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Carbon failure, you say!?!?!
Old 08-18-18, 11:27 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Are most of these failures the steering tube on carbon forks, and aren't those tubes aluminum, at least in some cases?
The failures were on the CF steerer tubes.

Cervelo Founder Calls for Industry-Wide Fork Steerer Test. Here's a quote:
The cycling industry isn't doing enough to prevent fork steerer failures.That’s the opinion of a man who would know: Cervélo co-founder Phil White, whose company suffered a large fork recall in 2008 following fork failures that resulted in multiple crashes and injuries.Cervélo is not alone in that sorry episode.The cycling industry has seen a rash of fork steerer-related problems in the last few years, from nearly every major brand sold in North America. Big brands with big test labs have experienced consumer injuries and expensive recalls that the manufacturers say resulted from a mix of engineering and manufacturing flaws.
Old 08-18-18, 11:38 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Thanks for the link, the audio doesn't seem to be available yet
It is there now (upper left in my case).
Old 08-18-18, 11:56 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check Aliexpress and other similar sites.
Old 08-18-18, 12:07 PM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
My 2011 Cervelo RS has an aluminum steerer, but interestingly my alloy Diamondback Haanjo Trail (gravel bike) has a carbon steerer--which surprised me. I put loose bearings into the Haanjo's headset the other day and replaced the FSA compression plug with a much longer one that will hopefully support the pinch bolts from the stem better. Don't know if that really helps anything, but I figure it can't hurt.

The Outside article is a bit unclear as to whether it was a fork blade or steerer tube that failed on woman who filed the lawsuit against Giant.

While I trust carbon frame with essentially my life, I do take extra care not to put the bike in a position to be tipped over or otherwise dinged. If it's ever in any sort of crash I'll probably just discard it without thinking 2x.
Old 08-18-18, 01:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Well, ... yes. Giant or any other bike company may have their frames made in China. When they do, they have to keep a close eye on quality control. But that doesn't guarantee that some other Chinese factory can't turn out copies with no QC.
Old 08-18-18, 02:04 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
BlazingPedals et al, my post was tongue in cheek. Quality control, design and company leadership determine how a product is received by the buying/end user public.

People can knit pick this troll thread if they like, I was just getting in on the game is all. A twist of phrase.

Like Rydabent, you might see me riding a crabon feebray before too long. A Bianchi Intrepida 105 would be Hot!

Last edited by shrtdstncrdr; 08-18-18 at 02:05 PM. Reason: I miss-spelled "feebray"
Old 08-18-18, 03:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
“The bike manufacturers are like nesting dolls. They set up layers and layers of companies to try to protect themselves, but finally they are being held liable.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.