Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Newbie to cycling and touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 03:04 AM
ajc907

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I have a question I am hoping you all can answer for me.

I recently bought a Fuji 2.3 (Absolute) bike to get back into cycling after many years of not having ridden. I've been at it for a few weeks now and other than a few days of my body getting used to being on a bike again, it's been great fun.

Later on this Summer (mid to late August) I would like to do a couple of short, overnight tours in my area (central Indiana) to state parks with a few friends.

I know the 2.3 Absolute isn't really a bike made for touring, but for just overnight tours that probably won't total more than 120 to 130 miles total, do you think this bike, with a couple of racks added to it, would do until I can save up the $$$ to buy a bike more geared for touring? That is, of course, assuming I find I actually like to do touring. I've never done it, but the thought does appeals to me. It sounds like a lot of fun

Thanks in advance for advice/comments/suggestions.
Old 05-03-17, 06:25 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
if your bike is made to take racks you can tour on it. just realize the gearing may not be ideal. i say ride the bike your comfortable with.
Old 05-03-17, 06:35 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I added a Topeak Seat Post rack which worked fine.

Old 05-03-17, 06:49 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
ajc907, I looked up the Absolute and it looks to be able to accommadate front and rear racks, that's a plus. The price is amazing and looks to be a nice entry level bicycle to explore several aspects of the sport.

There are some nit picking items, but for now I would ignore them. A more important item to address will be the wheels. At the price point for your bicycle, and FWIW most machine built wheels these days, I'd suggest having the bike shop retension the spokes, they'll understand what you're asking. This will greatly diminish problems into the future.

Brad
Old 05-03-17, 06:53 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Huh, it has fittings for front and rear racks, that's unusual. I'd add bar ends for more hand positions on long rides.

I'm guessing the tires are designed to be very puncture resistant and inexpensive. Better tires would give you lower rolling resistance and a smoother ride on rough roads.

Doing some overnight tours sounds great.
Old 05-03-17, 07:59 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
ajc907, I looked up the Absolute and it looks to be able to accommadate front and rear racks, that's a plus. The price is amazing and looks to be a nice entry level bicycle to explore several aspects of the sport.

There are some nit picking items, but for now I would ignore them. A more important item to address will be the wheels. At the price point for your bicycle, and FWIW most machine built wheels these days, I'd suggest having the bike shop retension the spokes, they'll understand what you're asking. This will greatly diminish problems into the future.

Brad
as this fellow said, its a perfectly capable bike that has pretty good gearing to help you get up hills and will be fine for trying out touring.

with a rear rack and some panniers, you could first try out just taking clothes and stuff and sleep in a friends house or cheap hotel , and if you do decide to go the camping route, it generally is better to use front rack and panniers also because it balances out the weight , ie less all on the back wheel.

the main thing is that the bike will be fine as is, tires included, for you to try out an overnight thing or two, all you need are some panniers and a reasonably good rear rack, of which there are numerous good options out there (both racks and panniers) that are reasonably priced.

good luck and have fun.
Just dont overdo the planned distance per day, think maybe 40 miles or so , 60km, to start out, or a bit more. Folks starting out often think that 60 or 70miles is easy per day, and thats not always the case.
Old 05-03-17, 09:03 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
On my first cross-country tour back in 1987, I met a guy riding in the other direction on a 3-speed Schwinn and wearing black leather shoes. Don't sweat the details.
Old 05-03-17, 09:11 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If it can carry the gear you need and is geared for the terrain you will be in, it can be just as suitable a touring bike as any other.

Probably wouldn't buy one for the specific purpose of touring, but if that is what you already have, roll with it! You may well find out there is no reason for you to save and buy something else that fits someone else's preferences.
Old 05-03-17, 12:17 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sure, use what you have. Do a few tours, overnights picnics, etc. After a season you will developed a desire for what "You" would change or upgrade for your style of touring. The machine we build and use (ultimatly) is a very personal mesh of components and equipment.

Remember that all the bolt-on accessories can be forwarded to your next touring bike.

I highly promote short trips, etc. To work out the bugs, and find what works for you.
Enjoy your summer of biking, and touring.

-Snuts-
Old 05-03-17, 04:49 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I did many overnighters and some week long trips on an Absolute with a rear rack, bar-ends, 32 mm tires, and a lower granny for the grades in the Sierra. I'd add bar-ends so you're not stuck with the same hand position all the time, or you can swap the bars for any of the fine alternatives.
Old 05-03-17, 05:30 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
yes, bar ends or those bar ends/ergo grip combos are a reallife improvement to hand comfort.
There are also inexpensive butterfly bars, trekking bars also for more hand positions, and bonus is you can just change them and use all your existing shifters and whatnot, often even without having to change the cables and housings, just put them onto the new bars from the old ones. add some bar tape on the bars and you are set.
Old 05-03-17, 05:43 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do keep in mind some folks don't like bar ends.
Old 05-03-17, 06:19 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Some don't, but many like myself, enjoy the simplicity. I'm not big on shifting all the time, and maintaining efficient cadence is never a touring goal for me. Not that bar-ends preclude perfect cadence but they do allow a simple and more carefree shifting style.
Old 05-03-17, 06:42 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Some don't, but many like myself, enjoy the simplicity. I'm not big on shifting all the time, and maintaining efficient cadence is never a touring goal for me. Not that bar-ends preclude perfect cadence but they do allow a simple and more carefree shifting style.
"Bar ends" was referring to the extensions on the ends of straight handlebars, not bar-end shifters.
Old 05-03-17, 07:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
That Fuji is a perfectly fine bike to tour on. For tours that short, don't believe you need expensive equipment. Just about any bike will do.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-03-17, 07:15 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
"Bar ends" was referring to the extensions on the ends of straight handlebars, not bar-end shifters.
oops!!
Old 05-04-17, 08:16 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So what's the official name for the "bar end extension things"?
Old 05-04-17, 11:13 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
So what's the official name for the "bar end extension things"?
Bar ends.

You just have to follow context. In this case, "bar ends" was introduced as...

Originally Posted by rm -rf
I'd add bar ends for more hand positions on long rides.
...which only makes sense if you're talking about handlebar extensions. Bar-end shifters don't do much in the way of adding hand positions, and they're just about never used on straight handlebars like on the bike being discussed.
Old 05-04-17, 11:53 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I added a Topeak Seat Post rack which worked fine.

can't imagine that this works fine, maybe if you do not move at all on the bike, climbing out of the saddle this back construction make your bike move left right left right like a pudding. low panniers in the back do that already, they weight is placed far too high.
Old 05-05-17, 01:11 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
is that the fuji 2.3 that has a triple crank with 48/38/28T chainrings and a 7-speed 14-34T cassette? if so, sounds like ideal gearing for the average tourist to me. if it can accommodate racks, i wouldn't think you could ask for more. and i've toured on flat bars exclusively for the past decade or so. good luck.
Old 05-12-17, 06:57 AM
ajc907

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all of your suggestion and comments. They are all appreciated.

I'm definitely getting excited about touring this summer, even if they will just be overnight trips. Get my feet wet this year and then plan on longer trips next year.

Old 05-12-17, 07:52 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by ajc907
I'm definitely getting excited about touring this summer, even if they will just be overnight trips. Get my feet wet this year and then plan on longer trips next year.

Careful, it is addictive. As of December 2015, I had no plans for ever bike touring, as of the end of June, I'll have been to Europe twice to do so, with a few more Michigan trips worked in the rest of the summer
Old 05-14-17, 04:29 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ajc907
Thank you for all of your suggestion and comments. They are all appreciated.

That excites me.
I strongly promote, picnics, overnighters, building up to your first week or longer tour.
every morning is a re-configuration, trying out what you may have dreamt up the day before. Each new outing usually has a little tweak to the gear, etc.
Wait till you spend a full morning riding in the rain to finish an overnighter. Mid week you will be wiser on how you would deal with "that" again. Every new challenge brings big rewards in confidence, and self esteem.

Enjoy yourself.

-Snuts-