Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Is this worth building? (noob)

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 01:28 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 24 Posts

I would love to have a bike that I can travel with. I've been toying with building a bike, but I don't know jack about it. I would be be more comfortable having someone build a bike for me or at least within a coop where we learn from building it (I know there is something like that near where I live). So, occasionally, I look around for a bike frame that is the right size and I found this.

The manufacturer is unknown. The people selling it are a nonprofit site that tries to get bikes back on the street, so they have done a good look over with the frame. But would I know if this would be a good frame to do a touring bike for someone who is 5'6" (short torso, long legs) and I like to sit comfortable (not stretched out) ton the bike. Bikes I currently own is a 1992 Bianchi advantage in 46 inch frame. I've maxed out the ability to make it taller, but as it is, it feels fit GREAT - even according to a bike fit, it's good fit. I have a Surly Ogre size small and I feel a bit stretched out on it, but it's OK (and it's zippy and fun to ride).

The details: I would love to have a bike that I can travel with. I've been toying with building a bike, but I don't know jack about it. I would be be more comfortable having someone build a bike for me or at least within a coop where we learn from building it (I know there is something like that near where I live). So, occasionally, I look around for a bike frame that is the right size and I found this.

The manufacturer is unknown. The people selling it are a nonprofit site that tries to get bikes back on the street, so they have done a good look over with the frame. But would I know if this would be a good frame to do a touring bike for someone who is 5'6" (short torso, long legs) and I like to sit comfortable (not stretched out) ton the bike. Bikes I currently own is a 1992 Bianchi advantage in 46 inch frame. I've maxed out the ability to make it taller, but as it is, it feels fit GREAT - even according to a bike fit, it's good fit. I have a Surly Ogre size small and I feel a bit stretched out on it, but it's OK (and it's zippy and fun to ride).

The bike fit said I should ride a 52cm, but I felt really stretched out like that and I just think I would feel more comfortable on a 50cm.

Anyway, this bike has all these deets. How do I know if I could build it out to what I need/want? Like I want as MANY gears as possible with true granny gears, rim brakes is fine by me. It's not about speed for me EVER. I'm 54 years old female and I want to ride my bike mainly on crushed limestone. I want to feel safe and stable and be able to ride all day if need be.

I don't want to buy this to have it built up only to find I can't build it to the way I want. Can anyone who has WAY more know-how than me tell me if this is garbage or something to consider? Yes, I know by posting this, someone might nab it, but it is what it is.

The details:

Unknown Steel Touring Frame W/ S&S Couplers 50cm 26in Rim Brake Frame Set Green

This is a beautiful touring frame. There are some dents in the frame (see photos). There are some minor scuffs and scratches (see photos). All threads on this frame function great. The couplers function properly and only have some minor dings in the coupler tool interface. The lower part of the head tube has some paint chipping (see photos). The included wheel stabilizer functions properly and has lots of life left. This frameset has many more miles to ride.

**If you have any information about this frames origins, please send us a message, we'd love to hear from you.**

Specs:
50.5cm (center of bottom bracket- top of seat tube)
52.5cm (center of head tube- center of seat tube)
68mm BSA threaded bb shell
100/135mm drop out spacing
1in threaded steerer
173mm head tube length
27.2 seat tube diameter

​​​​​​​
Old 02-21-24, 01:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
thoughts

1) putting s&s couplers on a bike is a pretty expensive about $1000 and up, so I would expect this to be decent frame worth putting all the parts on
2) you will get more help from mechanics forum on adding the parts to the bike.... this forum is more about building the frame
3) I think the coop is a pretty good idea, way to learn with help and should have most tools
4) what are you thinking for build parts, wheels etc (just interested)

Old 02-21-24, 02:17 PM
mams99

Bikes: Pedego Stretch 2016 (electric cargo bike for around town and grocery shopping, Small surly Ogre (2015), Bianchi Advantage (46cm) 1993, Bike Friday NWT, 2005

Thanks for the quick reply and info.. I'll go ask the same question in the appropriate forum. Thanks again!
Old 02-21-24, 02:27 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
I'm making some assumptions in the following, correct me if I'm wrong:

The top tube slopes, higher in front, when the fork and wheels are installed.

You measured the actual seat tube, not the "effective" seat tube. The latter is usually defined as the size of an imaginary seat tube that extends up to the point in space where a level top tube would be, based on the height of the top of the head tube. Or put another way, the size of frame that would have this tall of a head tube. The slope on this one makes the effective size a good bit larger than the size you measured.

Top tubes generally shouldn't be measured along the tube if it slopes. I assume you measured the real tube, when you should measure the effective TT, which is measured horizontally, to that point in space where the effective seat tube reaches. The effective TT on this will be larger than what you measured.

Upshot is, this frame may be too large for you by traditional measures. However you may still be able to get comfortable on it, with a very short handlebar stem and/or handlebars that sweep back. Make sure you're able to stand over it, which will probably require the fork and wheels be installed. Remember the tire size affects standover, so mount wheels with the actual size tires you'll be using, or at least be aware of what the actual height will be, for example lower if you mount smaller tires later.

This looks like a nice frame and it might be worth getting it even if it isn't your ideal size; we all have a range of sizes that are suboptimal but acceptable with compromises. The couplers are an attractive feature, maybe worth settling for? If the price is low enough, you could buy it and try it out, and then sell it later if it doesn't work out.

I will add that a 50 cm TT is hard to find in adult bikes. This is for various reasons but a lot to do with toe clearance. With too short a TT, your toe may hit the tire or the fender when toe and fender are in just the right (wrong) place at the same time. Expert riders sometimes decide to live with toe overlap, but it can cause a crash (typically at very low speed like walking pace), so manufaturers avoid it. This bike, having 26" wheels, will have less trouble than say a "29-er"; also its TT is longer than ideal for you. So toe overlap is not likely a problem on this frame, but it could be an issue if you were to try to hunt down your ideal-sized bike with a 50 cm TT. That short of a TT in a road bike usually requires odd frame angles and/or small wheels. Or small front wheel only, in the case of Terry bikes. This is a long-winded way of saying you'll probably have to settle for a TT of 52 cm or more, and deal with it via the stem/bars, say with back-sweep.

Happy hunting
Mark B
Old 02-21-24, 02:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by mams99
I would love to have a bike that I can travel with. I've been toying with building a bike, but I don't know jack about it. I would be be more comfortable having someone build a bike for me or at least within a coop where we learn from building it (I know there is something like that near where I live). So, occasionally, I look around for a bike frame that is the right size and I found this.

The details: I would love to have a bike that I can travel with. I've been toying with building a bike, but I don't know jack about it. I would be be more comfortable having someone build a bike for me or at least within a coop where we learn from building it (I know there is something like that near where I live). So, occasionally, I look around for a bike frame that is the right size and I found this.

The bike fit said I should ride a 52cm, but I felt really stretched out like that and I just think I would feel more comfortable on a 50cm.

Anyway, this bike has all these deets. How do I know if I could build it out to what I need/want? Like I want as MANY gears as possible with true granny gears, rim brakes is fine by me. It's not about speed for me EVER. I'm 54 years old female and I want to ride my bike mainly on crushed limestone. I want to feel safe and stable and be able to ride all day if need be.

I don't want to buy this to have it built up only to find I can't build it to the way I want. Can anyone who has WAY more know-how than me tell me if this is garbage or something to consider? Yes, I know by posting this, someone might nab it, but it is what it is.

The details:

Unknown Steel Touring Frame W/ S&S Couplers 50cm 26in Rim Brake Frame Set Green

This is a beautiful touring frame. There are some dents in the frame (see photos). There are some minor scuffs and scratches (see photos). All threads on this frame function great. The couplers function properly and only have some minor dings in the coupler tool interface. The lower part of the head tube has some paint chipping (see photos). The included wheel stabilizer functions properly and has lots of life left. This frameset has many more miles to ride.

**If you have any information about this frames origins, please send us a message, we'd love to hear from you.**

Specs:
50.5cm (center of bottom bracket- top of seat tube)
52.5cm (center of head tube- center of seat tube)
68mm BSA threaded bb shell
100/135mm drop out spacing
1in threaded steerer
173mm head tube length
27.2 seat tube diameter
to more answer your question looking at specs this would want MTB wheels (135 mm rear spacing, and 26 in wheels

this bike is not set up for disc brakes or thru axle so that needs to be considered

lots of considerations
1) what type of handle bar straight or drop
2) 1 x or 2x
3) gearing needed for type of riding
4) budget of course
5) new components or used
6) can't be disc or thru axle based on frame

Shimano Tiagra would work even though it it is road set

tektro or velo orange would for brakes

So lots of decisions and more info needed.

another option is to find a donor bike and swap parts off and then move the donor frame on

Old 02-21-24, 02:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I don't understand that frame design at all. Even with 26" wheels, the ht on a 50cm st bike should not be 174mm tall. Sloped top tube lugs were made for 6 degree slope, which still doesn't give you that much head tube.
Old 02-21-24, 03:40 PM
mams99

Timed up a reply and it timed out on me....

I would probably go with a Jones bar
2x
As much gearing I could get - especially for hill climbing. (I will never race)
Budget? I have no idea, but affordable for sure (not luxury)
I'm fine with used components if they are good quality
and I'm fine with traditional axel and rim brakes

I want to use this specifically for bike touring. Something I can put on a train. Maybe it would be riding Across Iowa for Ragbrai. But mostly rail-trails with the hope of getting across the US EVENTUALLY.

Right now it's a pipe dream while I'm a caregiver to my MIL with dementia. So, this is not something I need to have done/built RIGHT now.

I guess what I really need to do is to find a bike builder near me - B'more area precisely.
Old 02-21-24, 03:50 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Just a thought...a built bike with travel case for easy shipment. Been up a few weeks so you might be able to negotiate free shipping.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5-5f231e81e1b6
Old 02-21-24, 04:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
The advantage of small frames is that you can pack them in cases barely larger than an S&S case. I don't know if any airlines are still going by the old limits, most have given up on surcharges for bicycles. I ride a 54cm bike, and I have pretty much decided that my S&S travel bike was a mistake. I didn't split it when I went to France in 2019.
Old 02-21-24, 06:54 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
That was clearly an expensive frame and would build up into a fine bike. That you hope it can be made to fit you is understandable.

That said: with a head tube that long, it's unlikely that anyone who was under 6 feet in height would fit on it properly. Looks like it's designed for someone closer to 6' 2" or so.

All of us have seen dream bikes for great prices from time to time, only to realize that the bike was a centimeter or two too large or small.

For the occasional casual ride, an experienced rider might consider a bike in the wrong size even if it's a couple of centimeters off. For regular riding, and especially for touring, no.
Old 02-22-24, 09:02 AM
mams99

Since people who actually know things about bike geometries and builds, I see it's something I should pass up. I would say I should learn, but for a one off, I'm never going to get there and I would happily hire someone who could do the build for me and do it correctly.
Old 02-22-24, 09:11 AM
mams99

Originally Posted by curbtender
Just a thought...a built bike with travel case for easy shipment. Been up a few weeks so you might be able to negotiate free shipping.
I am in contact with the seller. They are currently on vacation, but they will send me the bike geometries. I am pretty sure it's too big for me. At 5'6" I have a 31" bike inseam. One most bikes I've tried in person (which isn't many) 54cm is hit or miss if it's a good fit and with a STRAIGHT bar, that means a true leg swing and I want to use this for bike touring which would mean tilting a heavy load sideways to mount the bike IF I can even straddle that bar comfortably. But this bike looks amazing and orange is my favorite color (which is really a non-issue as it's fit and components that matter) but it's steel, meant for touring, etc. Thanks for pointing it out.
Likes For mams99:
Old 02-22-24, 09:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
A couple of suggestions in addition to the great advice you've already received here:

1. I believe there was or is a hidden subforum here that is accessible to women only. I've seen only one or two mentions of it over the years. If there is one and it is still active, and you'd like to seek advice there, click on the red button at bottom left in one of the posts in this thread and request access to it. I imagine that you'd then be sent a reply via private message.

2. If a travel bike is of special interest to you, look at the folding bike subforum here. There are lightweight, high-performance folders out there with a lot of loyal owners who range in height from very tall to very short. Getting one of those to fit you well should be easy. Maybe start a separate thread asking for advice in that subforum.