Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

REI closed for Black Friday and giving its employees a paid holiday

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 03:27 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

I know it's not a commuting related topic, - other than the fact that REI sells a lot of products that work well for bike commuters.

Just thought I'd give them some credit for doing something cool with their #optoutside campaign. I may make it a point to get someone an X-mass gift from there.

Our governor is making admission to state parks free on Friday. We have an annual pass and November is not exactly prime time for state parks in Minnesota but it's a nice gesture.

Of course I avoid shopping on Black Friday at all costs but in support of #optoutside I hope to get time for a bike ride or something.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-24-15 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 03:33 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I interact with REI through my job at retail, support services, and corporate facility's. They seem to take care of their people, and provide a positive work environment.
Old 11-24-15, 03:34 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i think it is awesome! i want to purchase at least one christmas gift from REI because of that. Do i think it will turn the tide, no but at least it hopefully creats some good business for REI and good conversation among other Executives.

I wish that could get free admission to some NC state parks.
Old 11-24-15, 03:35 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I, too, was real impressed when I saw this decision on their part!
Old 11-24-15, 03:38 PM
tjspiel

Yeah, I know that for some people Black Friday is a tradition they enjoy, but for those who have to go in to work at some ungodly early hour, it has to suck.

I'm curious as to how this will affect their overall Holiday sales.
Old 11-24-15, 04:50 PM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to work for REI in a retail/shop position. In my experience in passed years REI has had significant sales increases on Black Friday compared to other normal business days. But because they never really offered any deep discounts for Black Friday, it's not like the sales boosts that most other retailers experience/rely on. While I think it's a great concept, clearly REI is milking this for every bit of ad exposure it can get. Don't think for one second that this is being done just in the interest of doing something good for the community and/or employees. They're counting on the exposure from this event to boost sales through to Christmas since they don't get much business the day after thanksgiving anyway, they can't compete with Target/Best Buy/Walmart for attention on that day anyway, too small of a niche in the market.
Old 11-24-15, 05:01 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by urbanescapee
I used to work for REI in a retail/shop position. In my experience in passed years REI has had significant sales increases on Black Friday compared to other normal business days. But because they never really offered any deep discounts for Black Friday, it's not like the sales boosts that most other retailers experience/rely on. While I think it's a great concept, clearly REI is milking this for every bit of ad exposure it can get. Don't think for one second that this is being done just in the interest of doing something good for the community and/or employees. They're counting on the exposure from this event to boost sales through to Christmas since they don't get much business the day after thanksgiving anyway, they can't compete with Target/Best Buy/Walmart for attention on that day anyway, too small of a niche in the market.
For sure, they could have quietly given their employees the day off with pay and not built this whole campaign around it. Or they could have closed the stores, not paid their employees for the day and built this whole campaign around spending Black Friday outside instead of in a mall.

They are doing something decent while at the same time promoting their brand. I'm all for it.
Old 11-24-15, 05:01 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I am a member, and they didn't ask me whether I wanted the store open on Friday. Never quite understood what benefits membership confers. The 10% cash rebate off the already inflated prices? I shop there because it's convenient and they tend to sell quality products, but never for price.
Old 11-24-15, 06:00 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
They are doing something decent while at the same time promoting their brand. I'm all for it.
And it's contagious too: state and national parks are free admission this Friday, in WA anyway.
Old 11-25-15, 12:45 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
For sure, they could have quietly given their employees the day off with pay and not built this whole campaign around it. Or they could have closed the stores, not paid their employees for the day and built this whole campaign around spending Black Friday outside instead of in a mall.

I've always thought of REI as an employee friendly company. But that is not what I hear from some former employees. And recently there was a news article about some shady practices and pressure on employees.

The CEO of REI went on ****** and said to ask him anything. Lots of disgruntled employees obliged - Quartz

I don't have any personal experience with REI employment. However, retail just doesn't seem to be a career that anyone aspires too... no matter what the company is. I hear similar complaints from friends that work, or have worked, at Cabelas, Sportsman Warehouse, and Bass Pro Shops. They are all retail establishments where I like to spend time, but apparently for employees, they suffer some of the same issues as other retail establishments.
Old 11-25-15, 03:19 AM
TriDanny47

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
No doubt any company has disgruntled employees / but I suspect overall REI and Costco have far fewer than most retailers. Employees seem to stay with them. My local REI has had the same core group for the past few years I've shopped there, and I'm there enough for bike gear to know them by name. Can't speak about other Costco depts because it's a big store and I don't pay that much attention, but I've dealt with the same 8-9 pharmacy staff for years - as a "frequent flyer" at the pharmacy they know me well - a lot of prescriptions since I see an oncologist/hematologist, cardiologist, pulmonologist, neurologist, and my pcp on a regular basis
Old 11-25-15, 09:16 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I am a member, and they didn't ask me whether I wanted the store open on Friday. Never quite understood what benefits membership confers. The 10% cash rebate off the already inflated prices? I shop there because it's convenient and they tend to sell quality products, but never for price.
Ever use the sales and discount coupons? I too loathe paying full retail, I seldom do it anywhere. Try end of season and off season and the garage sales. Returns as well.
Old 11-25-15, 09:20 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
BF censors the ****** ("red it") name? Weird.
Old 11-25-15, 09:42 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Leebo
Ever use the sales and discount coupons? I too loathe paying full retail, I seldom do it anywhere. Try end of season and off season and the garage sales. Returns as well.
The coupons help a bit to bring prices more in line with internet prices. The main reason I buy stuff there is for the return policy, which is truly no hassle and no questions asked.
Old 11-25-15, 10:39 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I like them because of their community support for for trails and nature type stuff. Lots of grants given in our area. They partnered with us on one of our trail days to build some new singletrack in our state forest. A crew of 6 workers showed up with t shirts and gloves. Nice. 6 workers for 4 hours, nicer. We then provided lunch and mt biked for 2 hours after that. Awesome.
Old 11-25-15, 10:43 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ya know, it's not so much Black Friday that is the problem - it's the stores that start their sales on Thanksgiving itself. That's really ****ty to their employees. Not that anyone is really having terrific sales anyway...it's mostly all junk that gets the good discounts. Our BF plan is to go to an independent movie theater for a matinee, eat pie and left overs and generally just chill out. Maybe squeeze a bike ride in there if I can find anyone else riding.
Old 11-25-15, 11:40 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I've been hearing reports that Simon Malls is fining store tenants who do not open on Thursday. So stupid. Snopes has it as a mixture of true/false, but then I heard from someone else who called Simon directly and they confirmed that is what is happening.
Old 11-25-15, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. When an LBS's prices drive me to online retailers, they at least get the benefit of the doubt inasmuch as their overhead/payroll:income ratio is concerned. REI, however, charges a premium to maintain the kind of floor space targeted toward eco hipsters with plenty of disposable cash to burn on junk used to take social media selfies.

The membership sounded great for all of 30 seconds until you realize that your little piece of ownership is essentially useless and an extra discount is marginal at best.
Old 11-25-15, 12:33 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I happen to like REI. I'm glad their employees get a few days off (I hope those are paid days.) I don't buy too many cycling specific products from them. However, I do buy and use a lot outdoor clothing from them for cycling. I have several REI brand pants and shorts that I use for commuting (come to think of it... I don't use anything but REI pants and shorts for my commutes.) I've bought a few higher dollar value items from them - a burley travoy trailer and an REI Kingdom 8 tent for camping. I enjoy talking bicycles with the guys that work in bike maintenance and repair - they're knowledgeable.

I don't buy too much cycling parts and accessories online anymore. I prefer to pay the extra to support the bike shops in my area. They are good. They give great service. And they have handled problems with the manufacturer for me (Cannondale carbon fiber frame replacement.)
Old 11-25-15, 02:37 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I am a member, and they didn't ask me whether I wanted the store open on Friday.
They probably did consult the board members that they ask you to vote for each year.
Old 11-25-15, 03:41 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by Andy_K
They probably did consult the board members that they ask you to vote for each year.
My recollection of the voting system is you are presented with two options: vote or don't vote. Which is slightly better than the system in North Korea, where you only have one choice.
Old 11-25-15, 03:55 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
My recollection of the voting system is you are presented with two options: vote or don't vote. Which is slightly better than the system in North Korea, where you only have one choice.
Many local government positions work the same way. At least there is a process if you're unhappy about something. Unopposed candidates are usually a symptom of apathetic voters. In the case of REI's board, I'm OK with that.

In a mostly unrelated anecdote, a couple of years ago when I did the Seattle to Portland ride my cousin and I got a late start and by the time we got to the first rest stop at REI corporate headquarters the organized support was closed down. An REI employee who was there waiting for the cleanup to be finished let us in the building so we could fill up our water bottles in the break room.
Old 11-26-15, 05:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
You don't understand what membership is good for?
Then don't be a member. You will spend more then.
There ya go, that's the benefit.
Old 11-26-15, 06:42 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You don't understand what membership is good for?
Then don't be a member. You will spend more then.
There ya go, that's the benefit.
10% annual divided on purchases, it adds up surprisingly quick. Member since 1986.
Quality products, outstanding customer service, home town corporation, local retailer, customer of my employer. Lot's of reasons for me to shop there.
Old 11-26-15, 11:31 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I was also impressed that they are doing this, and for the life of me, do not understand why other companies are NOT doing it. I guess I'm old, but it PISSES me off that stores are open on Thanksgiving, or midnight on "Black Friday" - a term, by the way, I had never heard until the late 90s.

Organizations that MUST operate 24/7 have to have their employees work on Thanksgiving. Other organizations that CHOOSE to be open on Thankgiving, are, in my opinion, spitting on the traditions of this country. They don't give a damn about their employees; they view their customers as idiots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.