Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you could keep only one bike, which one would it be?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 08:00 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

A lot of forum members have more than one bike. A lot of forum members would like to have more bikes. Hopefully, you never have to decide, but what bike would you keep if you could only keep one? Why?

I have two bikes (I want more) - a touring bike that is a commuter/e-bike and I have a carbon fiber road bike. The touring/commuter/e-bike is so versatile. It gets me to work and back. I can carry relatively heavy loads. I can make my rides and commutes easy, or I can get a better workout than I could ever imagine on the road bike. The touring/commuter/e-bike is set up to handle wet weather and is able to take all kinds of accessories (which I have taken full advantage.) I would keep the touring/commuter/e-bike... I guess for practical purposes.

I'm hoping this thread might be helpful for those people that might be looking for their first bike. Many will be looking for a bike for a specific purpose (and maybe that's why you have your favorite) and others might be looking for one that will serve many purposes. Give your reasons, buyers will consider your criteria. There must be many, many people that are in the same circumstances as you are.
Old 11-11-15, 08:35 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question. Right now I have three bikes:
1. A Dutch-style step-through city bike with all the stuff you'd expect: dynamo lights, roller brakes, IGH, chain case, fenders, etc.,
2. A Bianchi Volpe, and
3. A 23-year old steel hybrid that I overhauled myself.

If I could only keep one it would be the Bianchi, no question. It's a nice versatile bike that can be fast enough for my purposes on fun rides, has good geometry for long, rambling rides on the weekends, and would serve perfectly well as a commuter. It has 28mm tires now, but could go wider. It will take racks and fenders. If it were my only bike, there's just one thing I would change. I would get the disc brake version for riding in wet conditions. We get a lot of rain in Memphis.
Old 11-11-15, 08:38 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Workcycles Opafiets. Easy Choice.

I have a number of bikes including three track, several road from 70's to 2013 Scott Addict, some mountain, hybrid, and various others. I love them all. But the Opafiets is my go to bike. It's the most reliable, the most comfortable, the easiest for transportation, and the best for hauling stuff (short of my bakfiets which would likely be my second choice). It's not the fastest but does quite well on slower club rides (13-15 mph is fine but would be really worn out doing anything faster) and does much better on club rides than any other bike does for daily xport.

Last edited by CrankyOne; 11-11-15 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 08:45 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If I had to have only one, it would be my single speed mountain bike.
Old 11-11-15, 09:02 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
If I could only keep one bike it would have to be a bike that can be used for just road riding, gravel roads, commuting, and touring, so my new titanium bike would be tossed out...damn it! So that would leave either the Schwinn Le Tour Luxe or the Mercian Vincitore Special; looks wise the Mercian wins hands down, but for ease of repair the Schwinn wins hands down. I'm at odds with myself. I would probably keep the Schwinn...no wait the Mercian, no the Schwinn, no the Mercian...damn question has driven me to insanity. Ok, if that choice was given quite honestly I would probably flip a coin and let chaos take over.
Old 11-11-15, 09:42 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have:

1. Surly Ogre
2. Surly Pugsley
3. Vassago Fisticuff
4. On-One Scandal SS

Practicality says I should keep the Ogre but my gut says keep the pugsley.
Old 11-11-15, 09:46 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I'm not really interested in having a garage full of bikes but I do have two. I also often ride what is technically my wife's bike. Anyway, having multiple bikes has allowed me to specialize in a way that I wouldn't if I had only one. I don't really have a general purpose bike, though both are fine for commuting most of the year.

All that is a long winded way of saying that I wouldn't keep either bike and instead I would get a CF gravel bike which I figure would be OK for most of the riding I do if not ideal. I'd have 3 wheelsets for it. One with an Alfine 11 Di2, the other with a cassette for an Ultegra Di2 derailleur, and a 3rd with a single speed/fixed cog. Oh, and what the hell, might as well through a dyno hub on one of them. Since this is a theoretical discussion, I will theoretically have a pile of money to spend on it.

This will be an interesting thread, but I doubt it would be used by many people looking for a new bike to help them make a decision. More than likely, newbies will continue to start new threads asking what kind of bike they should get, - which I think is fine. It's fine because I'd rather not try to sell people on a bike that I chose. It's more important that folks get a bike that THEY like. Most commutes aren't so special that any number of bikes couldn't do the job. I like to ask people if they have any particular cycling interests outside of commuting.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-11-15 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 10:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The Ridley. It's a great bike. Light, stiff, neutral handling, takes a standard BB and seat post, and has exterior cabling, so it's easy to work on. Best all around race bike I have ever owned. And if you ride it to work, it becomes a commute bike.
Old 11-11-15, 10:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Right now, it's my recently-reworked Bianchi Sport SX:

Much smoother and faster than it was in its previous incarnation. Comfortable with its 38mm tires, good fender coverage, and adequate carrying capacity when the handlebar bag is attached.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-11-15, 10:30 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Right now, it's my recently-reworked Bianchi Sport SX:

Much smoother and faster than it was in its previous incarnation. Comfortable with its 38mm tires, good fender coverage, and adequate carrying capacity when the handlebar bag is attached.
Beautiful. I would take that bike too except that I'd hate to subject it to our winters.
Old 11-11-15, 10:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Among the bikes that I actually own, it would have to be my old steel MTB because it has clearance for studded tires and fenders. Other than that issue, my bikes are surprisingly similar, and I could ride pretty much anything with upright handlebars.

If all of my bikes vanished, and I had to buy a new one in a hurry with limited funds, it would look a lot like this:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...-bike-sale.htm

Assuming I'm allowed to keep all of my tools for a complete tune-up upon arrival.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 11-11-15 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 11:02 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Since all my bikes are more or less use specific I don't think I own "the one" bike that could replace them all. So I'd just have to pick my favorite bike (and daily rider). It is very comfortable. Not a pricey or special bike. It's a entry level Trek 1.1 I bought new in July of 2014. I just checked it's computer and it has 2,856 miles.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo 2 (640x480).jpg (73.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 11-11-15, 11:49 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Since I have a road bike and a MTB now, of the two it would be the MTB - more universal.

If I had to choose one "perfect" bike, it would be a relaxed hybrid frame with mini v-brakes, with drop bars. Rack, fenders, 32 mm wide tyres and a set of winter wheels with studded tyres on.
Old 11-12-15, 12:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Beautiful. I would take that bike too except that I'd hate to subject it to our winters.
Thanks! I would, too -- I currently only ride this bike spring-fall, and use the fixed-gear MTB (or car ) during the winter.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-12-15, 02:00 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I currently own seven bikes:

2013 Kona Jake (entry level cyclocross bike set up for commuting)
2008 Kona Major Jake (geared cyclocross race bike)
2013 Kona Jake the Snake (singlespeed cyclocross race bike)
2012 Ridley Excalibur (carbon road bike)
2001 LeMond Beunos Aires (steel road bike)
2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker (touring bike)
2006 Kona Kula (hard tail mountain bike)

I think either the Major Jake or the LeMond is my favorite (depending on what time of year you asked me), but if I could only keep one it would be the commuter because it can do what all of the others do (though not quite as well). It's the one I ride most anyway.
Old 11-12-15, 02:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
In the real world with bike thefts, etc? My workhorse '83 Trek 420 fix gear with its fenders, LowRiders and U-lock. Rideable year 'round and I can pretty much lock it anywhere. Fit is right on, as good as it gets. I bike that will get ridden 12months of the year and can go out anytime i need a sanity ride.

In a slightly less real world? My custom TiCycles fix gear, Jessica. The fix gear I can ride anywhere. Dropouts to handle any cogs from 12 to 23. (I think a 24 will go on, Just haven't found one yet.)

I have known for nearly 40 years that if I had to trim down to one bike it would be the fix gear. Now it is harder, I have a choice.

Ben
Old 11-12-15, 08:29 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I could only have 1 bike, I would probably sell everything I have and get a really nice Reynolds 853 Randonneuring bike - nice stable geometry, can haul stuff on it, not quite as overbuilt as a touring bike, comfortable for long distances, etc.
Old 11-12-15, 09:06 AM
canadian deacon

Bikes: Ratty ol' fixed gear and a 2013 Kona Dew Deluxe (SS conversion)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
I have two bikes and if I was forced to downsize I would keep the fixed gear bike. The geared bike is more practical but the fixed gear is more fun.
Old 11-12-15, 09:18 AM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by canadian deacon
I have two bikes and if I was forced to downsize I would keep the fixed gear bike. The geared bike is more practical but the fixed gear is more fun.
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I think either the Major Jake or the LeMond is my favorite (depending on what time of year you asked me), but if I could only keep one it would be the commuter because it can do what all of the others do (though not quite as well). It's the one I ride most anyway.
The most practical and versatile bike I have is the one I ride the least, - which probably explains why I'd get rid of the bikes I have and get a new one instead. It's not that there's anything wrong with it, and it can be a fun bike under certain conditions. It's just not that particularly fun for most of the riding I do.
Old 11-12-15, 09:21 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
my current stable:

- titanium road bike w/ ultegra (the fun bike!)

- aluminum disc-brake hybrid w/ alfine 8 & studded tires (the winter beast)

- aluminum disc-brake CX bike converted to a commuter (the everyday bike)

- aluminum SS 20" wheel folder (the little bike)

if i could only keep one of those it'd have to be the CX commuter because it's the most versatile, jack of all trades bike that i have with its full fenders, rack, and panniers.

however, i'd miss the titanium road bike the most because it's the most fun to ride, but it's not very practical for a transportation cyclist like me. it has no clearance for fenders, no rack mounts, and is FAR too spendy to ever leave locked up and unattended on the street.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 11-12-15 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 10:59 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
I have:

1. Surly Ogre
2. Surly Pugsley
3. Vassago Fisticuff
4. On-One Scandal SS

Practicality says I should keep the Ogre but my gut says keep the pugsley.
A pug w/ a spare 29er wheelset is pretty darn versatile.

I have a crosscheck that I swap back and forth between a 7 speed rearwheel (w/ downtube shifter) and a fixed-gear wheel that is also versatile enough to meet all my needs. Does not meet a ton of my wants, although this time of year it's better at them than the CF racing bike for sure.
Old 11-12-15, 11:10 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Like many of you I'd also keep the most versatile bike I have--my Bianchi CX. It's on the heavy side, but it's equipped with fenders, rack, capable of taking on wider tires.

Fortunately, I don't have to make that decision, but I could see that if space was at a premium I'd be a one-bike cyclist.
Old 11-12-15, 11:15 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Tough question. What I have to choose from are:

* N-1 bike (commuting, road, gravel, ...) Surly CrossCheck with Marathon Supreme 700x50 tires
* Hardtail 29er (Moto Fantom 29 Pro SL)

The CrossCheck is already a do-almost-everything bike, but when I ride with my wife, we ride trails that I just can't handle with the CrossCheck's fork and gearing (39/52 x 11-34). But I couldn't ride road with the hardtail, even though the fork has lockout, mostly because of the flatbar; but also the frame has no rack mounts, so that's a pain.

So if I had to choose just one, I'd go with the CrossCheck, but I'd look into a suspended fork with lockout and canti posts (or go disc in the front), and I'd have to get a smaller crankset, probably a triple (should be an easy conversion because I have friction front shifting with my Retroshifts). And I'd want a spare wheelset because it would be easier to swap wheels than to change tires every time I go between trail and road.

Now that I think about it, it's almost tempting to actually do it, because I don't have the N+1 disease, I'd rather get rid of stuff. But even changing fork and gearing, I think the tall road geometry of the CrossCheck would not be ideal for trying to pick my way through rock gardens etc.
Old 11-12-15, 11:19 AM
plaucc

Bikes: Giant Revolt, Specialized Diverge, Jamis Dragon 29, Giant XTC, Giant Defy 5

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently own 6 bikes. When the time come to keep one, it will be my gravel bike. Dual purpose, versatile and ready for any road. If I could keep 2 bikes, it still will be my gravel bike and a steel MTB with semi knobby tires for more relaxing ride.
Old 11-12-15, 11:20 AM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
A pug w/ a spare 29er wheelset is pretty darn versatile.

I have a crosscheck that I swap back and forth between a 7 speed rearwheel (w/ downtube shifter) and a fixed-gear wheel that is also versatile enough to meet all my needs. Does not meet a ton of my wants, although this time of year it's better at them than the CF racing bike for sure.
Why go with so much wheel swap? Build a disc hub and put a tomicog or a velo solo cog on it and just flip it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.