Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

London to Rome to Jerusalem

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-10, 10:40 PM
dashely

Bikes: Rodriguez 6-Pack, Giant Halfway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello

A few college friends and I am looking at biking from London to Rome 3000km and then on to Jerusalem 5000km. We have about 115 days for the total of 8000km or 5000 miles.We feel that we will use 15 of the days as rest days and sightseeing days. We think that 50 miles a day as a pace is a reasonable. We last summer walked 1000 miles in 90 day (not all were spent walking), we start the walk with Sevilla to Santiago Spain and then walked a 600 km more.
Would this be reasonable? and any suggestion for the route? There is an easy route for London to Rome however for route after that there is a lot less information.

Debra
Old 09-25-10, 02:50 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
50 miles a day is a good average. Somedays more, some less, depending on terrain and wind direction, but 50 is very doable

One obvious route from Rome to Jerusalem would be... Rome-Ancona-(ferry)-Igoumenitsa-Istanbul then straight down through Turkey and Syria...

For the first part I'd do London-Newhaven-(ferry)-Dieppe-Paris-Montpellier... then hug the coast all the way to Rome.
This isn't the most direct route, but I love riding by the sea

Maybe follow the routes of the crusades? Your destinations suggest a religious interest. Here's a map: https://homepages.wmich.edu/~p3carney/Crusades/map.html

Last edited by imi; 09-25-10 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-25-10, 03:50 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds brilliant, and 50 miles a day with a couple of weeks to look around sounds pretty sensible to me. Not sure I agree with imi about the route, though of course it is all a matter of taste. I'd be inclined to go across France and enter italy via the Alps. As for the route from Rome to Israel, it depends on how much time you have. If there's plenty, I'd just ride it - going north and taking in Venice before turning south through the Balkans. If time is pressing, then I agree the ferry from Ancona is a good bet - but I'd get off at Split and cycle the rest. I haven't done ths route myself, but Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia are supposed to be spectacular.
Old 09-25-10, 04:00 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Ah, didn't know the ferry stopped at Split! Good post chasm54. Good to have different options depending on time available as you point out!
I agree about not agreeing with the route through France... I just love the med :/ ... Any route through france is great imo
Old 09-25-10, 04:22 PM
Azygous

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't think you are going to be able to get to jerusalem through syria, unless israel makes peace before you go. you will need to go through jordan.