Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sturmey Rear Drum Brake

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sturmey Rear Drum Brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-21, 03:56 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Sturmey Rear Drum Brake

Does anyone have any good tricks for making the final adjustment to the left side bearing while making sure that the brake torque arm is aligned with the left chainstay and the brake bolt fits properly? The best way to do it would be on the bike, but I can't always get in there with some chain pliers to manipulate the cone adjuster.
Old 11-22-21, 09:14 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
Have you tried a proper cone wrench? Andy

After hitting send I realized that, as often is the case, I have more to say. We don't know if this hub is a "classic" English SA made one or a more current Asian made one. I don't remember the cone/lock nut arrangement of the English hubs and haven't seen a modern one enough to know that design too. Some hubs back in the day used a notched lock nut, much like a small lock ring, and needed a small hook wrench (which use to be dirt common in your LBS in the 1970s). Can photos or better description be posted? Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 11-22-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-22-21, 09:26 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
You need to figure out how to align it in the vise. I align the flat of the axel to something on the face plate.
Mine now lines up to a point on one of the rivets. Trial and error until you get it right. There is NO way else to do this on the bike. I hold the arm with my thumb, wearing a glove or holding a rag for padding.
Maybe take a photo or draw a picture of the final alignment.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-22-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-23-21, 02:41 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Before I did any work I would measure the angle between the hole on the lever and the axle flat and then use that as reference for reassembly. I had a plan to make a template tool out of thin aluminum that would fit over the axle flats and then extend to the right position for the hole on the lever. Alas, never got to it and haven't used those wheels for years.

I have to say that this adjustment is one of the most vexing operations that I've had to do, though installing fenders is worse.

Good luck
Old 11-29-21, 04:50 PM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I have to say that this adjustment is one of the most vexing operations that I've had to do,

Good luck
Yes, I feel the same way. Sometimes I can work in a pair of chain pliers and a cone wrench when the wheel is in the frame, which makes it a little like setting one of the old AWs.
Old 11-29-21, 04:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Yes, I feel the same way. Sometimes I can work in a pair of chain pliers and a cone wrench when the wheel is in the frame, which makes it a little like setting one of the old AWs.
AWs are easy to adjust bearings. Clamp the RH axle nut down snug with the wheel in the frame and snug the LH side to test for a tiny amount of slop. Loosen the LH axle nut and use a thinned down cone wrench for the LH cone and a regular cone wrench for that lock nut. Perform a bearing adjustment and resnug the LH axle nut to test again. Repeat till after all is tight the rim has about a 1-2mm slop. Check chain being untensioned. Then go for a ride. Andy