Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Home Workshop: 2022 Edition

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21, 01:59 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

This topic pops up every once in a while. But, there's value in revisiting the topic - new ideas, new products, things you'd do differently... Full disclosure, I'm in the middle of redoing my "shop" and, absent any "wow - didn't think of that" ideas... it'll likely look just like the old setup.
So let's see some home bikeshops!

Current setup:

Last edited by Zaskar; 11-29-21 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 11-29-21, 10:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts

This gives the general feel for my shop space. In hindsight I'd have liked to have bought a second cabinet and made the bench as extra 4' longer with a 3 more pockets on the other side. But I built the thing for 20.00 for the metal peg board and at the time couldn't have afforded more. Could now, but the cabinet is no longer made, the new version is a different color, narrower and has poorer designed drawers so it leaves me stuck not wanting to bother. When I move again in a couple years I'll sell the cabinet and pegboard and build a whole new one in the new location using a different tool cabinet I have in the wood shop, it's a 4' wide cabinet that works poorly for the general mechanics and wood working tools I have out there but would be great for this, I'll just have to get a bigger cabinet for the shop to facilitate it.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-29-21, 11:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
My next iteration won't have a fixed workbench. It's always covered with crap, and essentially useless.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-30-21, 08:35 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by downtube42
My next iteration won't have a fixed workbench. It's always covered with crap, and essentially useless.
Ha! I literally started with a bigger fixed workbench. I like having that rolling workbench (that really never moves) but always wished it were a bit bigger. The new one is 36" x 88". This will either give me more space to work... or more space to accumulate crap.

Russ Roth what do you like to keep in the drawers vs. on the wall? I recently read - on a woodworking forum (I'm not into wood working, but was hunting for ideas) - that hand tools go in drawers and bigger, more cumbersome tools go on the wall - clamps, levels, squares, etc. I might follow this for my next setup - and go back to drawers and get some of the tools off the walls. I like the hex and torx sets on the wall, but the screwdrivers, open-end wrenches... seems like a waste of wall space. My "car tools" are all in drawers and it works well.

Last edited by Zaskar; 11-30-21 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-30-21, 01:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Ha! I literally started with a bigger fixed workbench. I like having that rolling workbench (that really never moves) but always wished it were a bit bigger. The new one is 36" x 88". This will either give me more space to work... or more space to accumulate crap.

Russ Roth what do you like to keep in the drawers vs. on the wall? I recently read - on a woodworking forum (I'm not into wood working, but was hunting for ideas) - that hand tools go in drawers and bigger, more cumbersome tools go on the wall - clamps, levels, squares, etc. I might follow this for my next setup - and go back to drawers and get some of the tools off the walls. I like the hex and torx sets on the wall, but the screwdrivers, open-end wrenches... seems like a waste of wall space. My "car tools" are all in drawers and it works well.

I agree with the drawer plan- never been a fan of pegboards especially, and I often marvel at the amount of wall space that folks have to devote to a few tools.

One tidbit that I've put to use- electric motor casing (ie garbage disposer) make a good stand for screwdrivers, hex keys, etc. although some folks don't like get a bit of magnetism going in those tools.

Here's my bike area

And some of the main shop

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 11-30-21, 02:02 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I agree with the drawer plan- never been a fan of pegboards especially, and I often marvel at the amount of wall space that folks have to devote to a few tools.

One tidbit that I've put to use- electric motor casing (ie garbage disposer) make a good stand for screwdrivers, hex keys, etc. although some folks don't like get a bit of magnetism going in those tools.

Here's my bike area

And some of the main shop

And remember, Always wear your safety glasses.
Old 11-30-21, 03:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
That's why I have a workbench that's 16 feet long: about ten feet is covered with stuff, which leaves about six feet for actual tasks.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-30-21, 05:01 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,374 Times in 720 Posts
Today I came across a kid cutting up a Chevy truck frame using a gas torch, and without safety glasses. I am not a safety equipment Nazi by any means, but when operating a torch, wear something to protect from at least the sparks.
Old 12-01-21, 06:16 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I don't have a workshop, but when we remodeled the house one of my regrets is that I didn't think to have the contractor put a floor drain in the basement add-on (walk out basement on a slope). Not sure if that's an option for you, but it would be nice to be able to wash the bikes indoors during the winter.

I could use the basement shower, but it's a stall so I'd have to stand the bike up - doable (well, not doable for the tandem), but I'd probably end up with a few gouges in my skin, and/or the shower stall walls, so it's better just to wait for a warmer winter day.
Old 12-01-21, 08:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar

I’m all about drawers. Wide, shallow ones like you find in most tool chests. They are so much more flexible then pegboards, and more efficient space-wise. Tools do tend to get somewhat organized within a drawer, but it is a fairly organic process.

I hang big things on the wall.
Old 12-03-21, 08:20 AM
Zaskar

I'm sold - ditching most of the pegboard system. I'm going to buy another rolling tool chest (damn those things are spendy) and limit the wall tools to the derailleur alignment tool, wood clamps, squares, etc. I'm using 15/32" plywood for the walls, so I can put shelves/hooks anywhere, and heavy stuff will go through to studs - which will be much easier to locate.