Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this NDS crank arm a TA Alizé?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-21, 07:57 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts

I saw a TA Alizé crankset for sale with a damaged NDS arm.

A beautiful crank.

That is only half a crank and a keychain fob now. NOTE THE Information etched into the back of the crank arms.

Then I saw this NDS Arm pop up a little later.

Aesthetically this is very close to an Alizé, if not actually an Alizé.

Undescribed NDS arm. Missing "gauche" and model name.
So my question is this: is this potentially a full Alizé crankset? Or did Specialites TA produce a similar styling for a different crankset?
TA is all about the Carmina crankset now (and why wouldn't you be, you can swap spiders to run all the current sizes), and all recent production has the model name and size etched into the back of the crank arm. I would really like to identify this for a confident purchase of a matched (sort of) crankset.
Old 12-03-21, 08:47 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

A few dozen views later and no replies yet. I'm going to guess that this is too new and/or esoteric for most to know. I've reached the limit of my google-fu, but I'm tentatively going to say that I found a second generation crankset with a first generation NDS arm, explaining the inconsistent markings. I'm satisfied that these cranks are aesthetically identical otherwise.
Peter White is in the top results as a seller of these cranks (which no longer seem to be in production), and his page for these cranks mention that he has second generation cranks. If anyone has TA catalog information that can give me a better ID on what I found, I would appreciate it.
Old 12-03-21, 09:22 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
the NDS arm you are showing looks like it could be a Zephyr or Carmina.

It is possible the NDS arm is common across all the TA parts of this era

I am a big fan of the Carmina, they are IMHO the best square taper crank ever made, right up there with the Shimano XTR M900 (1st gen XTR).

there was a change to the casting sometime in late production, the backside relief got sharper corners, and I have heard some rumors of cracking in those later parts. Picture shows the "early" model.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 12-03-21 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-03-21, 01:37 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by mpetry912
the NDS arm you are showing looks like it could be a Zephyr or Carmina.

It is possible the NDS arm is common across all the TA parts of this era

I am a big fan of the Carmina, they are IMHO the best square taper crank ever made, right up there with the Shimano XTR M900 (1st gen XTR).

there was a change to the casting sometime in late production, the backside relief got sharper corners, and I have heard some rumors of cracking in those later parts. Picture shows the "early" model.

/markp

Interesting that you say that, but the images Mr. White has kindly posted indicated that the Zephyr cranks aren't hollowed like the Alize, while the Carmina is more angular.

If I were building a frame up, I would absolutely consider a Carmina crankset for the sheer versatility. Pick a spider, any Spider!
That's one of the reasons I picked a Miche track cog system; They use a carrier and a splined cog so you only need a lockring spanner to change gearing, rather than needing a spanner and a chainwhip.
Old 12-04-21, 08:09 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'm satisfied that these cranks are aesthetically identical otherwise.
Sam, did you/will you buy it? Even if the NDS is not an Alizé, I'd be happy to have those cranks on my bike.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-21, 11:08 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Shipping Mayhem

I bought both after determining its likely the same model. Here are some comparisons.

Comparing front of crank arms

Comparing backs of crank arms
Aside from the markings and anodizing, the crank arms are identical.

Damage to square taper
This area is the largest difference between the two cranks. The [assumed] later version has more definition to the bolt hole recess. It's also obvious that this crank arm has seen the end of its useful life with the movement of material to the center of the square.

New pair
Sadly for me, the BCD on this crank is 130, and not the expected 144. I'll need to buy new chainrings to put this into use, which restricts its utility "right now".

Bottom line: TA produced this crank in at least 2 iterations, but the differences are minor enough that you can mix and match. (Unless you're one of the folks that match production dates 😉.)