Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Heart Rate

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 08:32 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Heart Rate

Just hooked up the heart rate monitor on my Gramin 510 and went for a 30 mile ride. My heart rate average was 118 bpm and maximum heart rate of 146 bpm (at the very beginning of the ride). Given that my heart rate is supposed to be between 113 and 137 I am pleased.

FYI - I also have room for a more vigorous ride
Old 07-06-13, 09:52 AM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Where does the supposed part come from? Not sure I follow you and your conclusion.
Old 07-06-13, 09:56 AM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by billydonn
Where does the supposed part come from? Not sure I follow you and your conclusion.
At age, 58, my average heart rate for moderate to vigorous exercise is supposed to range from 113 - 137 bpm according to Mayo Clinic
Old 07-06-13, 10:03 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
At age, 58, my average heart rate for moderate to vigorous exercise is supposed to range from 113 - 137 bpm according to Mayo Clinic
You could be right, or not: It's highly variable.

I'm 56 and have seen 177bpm without any ill effect. I'll average 145bpm on most rides and will spend more than an hour in the 150-160bpm range on a three hour ride.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-07-13 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-06-13, 10:05 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Have you been to the Mayo Clinic and did they work you up medically and tell you that? Otherwise you are spouting nonsense, IMHO

[EDIT]

I hereby, and later in the thread, apologize for this statement. It was improper and totally unnecessary.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-06-13 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-06-13, 12:31 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Okay. Good enough. Though as Michael says it is variable, you are probably getting at least moderate exercise. Probably. Nonsense seems a bit harsh.

Last edited by billydonn; 07-06-13 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-06-13, 01:34 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 130 threshold and 150 max. But that's from my Cardiologist. They don't want to dislodge the stent they implanted last year. Meds do a good job of knocking me back if I try too hard. I'm 54 BTW.

Mark Shuman
Old 07-06-13, 02:18 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a rule for Heart rate if I don't have a monitor with me.

Cycle so that you are comfortable but just getting to the out of breath mark and that is how I like to ride. Means that you are working hard enough to put some fitness into the body but not hard enough to wear it out.

Push a bit harder and talking --to your mate next to---you . you find that you--have to take a --few extra breaths. This just puts me into about 75 to 80% of my max

Then it--gets to-the--stage where--breathing--has--become lab--oured--and this puts me into the 85% range but could probably be improved if I wasn't talking to the bike next to me.

And then there is the stage where I can't talk but the breathing is very hard- the legs are beginning to think they have hit a 20% slope and that puts me about 95%.

Next stage doesn't last long as speed tails off dramatically after a short while-legs are now on a 30% slope and I can't breath.

I had a stress test 14 years ago and it did work out to 220 less my age so I have always used that to inform people of what their theoretical HR could be. It will vary between people and fitness levels but you have to start somewhere and find out what you can get to . Won't even say in safety as I have never known anyone "Blow up" their heart through over exertion unless there is another problem that causes it. On the stress test I was wired up and they knew when I was about to pass out as the sensors told them. That Max HR was 165 which as near as damn it was 220 less 55 (My age). Now treat my max as 155 at 66 and believe me when I say I know when I am approaching that. Haven't seen above 150 for months and that was on a spinning class at the gym and I knew I was reaching my max.

But if I want to do mileage on a ride-I stay in the 80 to 85% range and I will be OK. Push too often near the 95% and I will be in trouble by the end of the ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-06-13, 02:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Priority #1 is to listen to your Dr. and pay little attention to what others say. Sounds like you're happy with today's results and that is just the beginning.

The more time you spend on the bike will yield results that should please you and your Dr. Above all, ENJOY the rides.
Old 07-06-13, 02:29 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Have you been to the Mayo Clinic and did they work you up medically and tell you that? Otherwise you are spouting nonsense, IMHO
OK, OK

Nonsense is not the proper word. But, absent individual studies, it is not really appropriate to use whatever Mayo puts out - again, unless they have studied you and your case, specifically.

In any event, what one should pay more attention to than HR is lactate threshold, if training is your concern.

It isn't mine, and I leave the HRM at home. When I am feeling exhausted, I rest.
Old 07-06-13, 02:30 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The fact that they are quoting an "average" that varies by as much as 24 beats should give you a clue to the fact that heart rates vary massively between individuals. And "mild to moderate exercise" could mean anything.

The only HR figure worth making comparisons to is your own. If you want to train with HR, you'd do best to establish what your threshold is. There's a test for this described in a sticky on the training and nutrition forum. Otherwise, you can warm up then go as hard as you can for 20 minutes and take the average HR. It's a decent approximation for your threshold. From there you can work out zones that are meaningful for you, as opposed to being based on some sort of population average.
Old 07-06-13, 03:18 PM
Brew1

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

I'm 56 and have seen 177bpm without any ill effect. I'll average 145bpm on most rides and spend more than an hour in the 150-160bpm range on a three hour ride.

55 and that's about where I'm at, although I do get in the low 180's on occasion..
Old 07-06-13, 03:21 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
age here is 70,and my average ride is 45 minutes at a hr in the mid 150s told my doc last physical and he was very impressed (but did not say to stop doing it....Bud
Old 07-06-13, 05:59 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Having had a history of cardio issues, and trying to filter all the chaff on the internet, Mayo Clinic has one of the better educational sites on the web. Still, it must be read with a critical eye, and is no substitute for in person medical evaluation.

Having been riding semi seriously for over five years, and really seriously for two

This was yesterday;https://app.strava.com/activities/63474346
94-124 bpm 20%
124-140 bpm 48%
140-155 bpm 31%
155+ 2%

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 07-06-13 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-06-13, 06:08 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How could the Mayo Clinic possibly know? Everybody is different and the tired old formulas are useless.

Don in Austin
Old 07-06-13, 07:48 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Don in Austin
How could the Mayo Clinic possibly know? Everybody is different and the tired old formulas are useless.

Don in Austin
Measured HR response to exercise in a large group of the OPs gender and age? Just a guess.
Old 07-06-13, 07:59 PM
Planemaker

Exercise at whatever heart rate you want, I could care less. I am sure that you could care less what I do as well.

I am by no means an expert on cardiology, I am trying to achieve a heart rate that I was told was appropriate.

Maybe the 50+ forum is not the place for me after all if this is the kind of response I get some of you.
Old 07-06-13, 08:02 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Exercise at whatever heart rate you want, I could care less. I am sure that you could care less what I do as well.

I am by no means an expert on cardiology, I am trying to achieve a heart rate that I was told was appropriate.

Maybe the 50+ forum is not the place for me after all if this is the kind of response I get some of you.
My apologies. I should not have said that. It was inappropriate. Please accept my apology.
Old 07-06-13, 08:26 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

I'm 56 and have seen 177bpm without any ill effect. I'll average 145bpm on most rides and spend more than an hour in the 150-160bpm range on a three hour ride.
I am 67 and have seen over 175 without ill effect.

Don in Austin
Old 07-06-13, 08:41 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

this is a topic that doesn't bring out the best in people. I hope you'll stick around.
Old 07-06-13, 08:47 PM
Planemaker

My apologies. I should not have said that. It was inappropriate. Please accept my apology.
accepted
Old 07-06-13, 08:50 PM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by billydonn
this is a topic that doesn't bring out the best in people. I hope you'll stick around.
I will stick around. I will just be more careful about starting thread or posting to thread that are sensitive.
Old 07-06-13, 08:54 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Rode this guy out on a rail.

What everyone was trying to say was that the classic formulas for max heart rate are based on the mean population. If you are a bike rider in the over 50 crowd you are not likely to be in the mean. So if you base your max heart rate on a simple formula you should probably establish your real numbers either experimentally or by doing a professionally administered test. If however, you have done this already than most of what you have gotten here is just plain old internet crapola.

So stick around and ignore the stupid responses.
Old 07-06-13, 08:54 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

accepted
Thank you. I have enjoyed reading about your progress. Please keep posting. I am usually a pretty decent guy, and your post hit me at a bad moment, and I reacted without thinking.
Old 07-07-13, 12:58 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will stick around. I will just be more careful about starting thread or posting to thread that are sensitive.
It seems to me that it isn't the subject that is sensitive, it's you. You've had an apology for the "nonsense" remark. The rest of the advice you've received in this thread is sound and entirely inoffensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.