Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Switching from clipless to platforms

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 12:41 AM
ChuBikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding my 2012 caad10 with speedplay clipless pedals since I bought her. I have been mostly commuting in northern NJ and am going to switch from clipless to platform pedals. I've already ordered some basic pedals (MKS Sylvan touring to be in fact).

I want to know to those of you who tried or rode for a while in clipless then switched to platforms, what major differences did you notice, if any? I'm in NYC often and I would have to say that more than 50% of cyclists use platforms. I've enjoyed the speedplays but don't think it's necessary for commuting purposes...your thoughts?
Old 02-02-14, 12:48 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You're probably right.
Old 02-02-14, 01:02 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuBikes
I've been riding my 2012 caad10 with speedplay clipless pedals since I bought her. I have been mostly commuting in northern NJ and am going to switch from clipless to platform pedals. I've already ordered some basic pedals (MKS Sylvan touring to be in fact).

I want to know to those of you who tried or rode for a while in clipless then switched to platforms, what major differences did you notice, if any? I'm in NYC often and I would have to say that more than 50% of cyclists use platforms. I've enjoyed the speedplays but don't think it's necessary for commuting purposes...your thoughts?
i think you are making the right decision. i found clipless pain in the ass and of no benefit when i was exclusively riding in town on the mups. If you intend to ride where you need to climb, platforms are awful compared to clipless. i did one climb on platforms at first then on clipless and the difference was like night and day.

i went clipless to platform to clipless.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 02-02-14, 01:23 AM
Huffandstuff

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode exclusively SPD for a couple months then went back to platforms and almost crashed a couple of times(Foot kept pulling out when at 6/12 o'clock) but that's on a fixed gear, road riding shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Old 02-02-14, 02:11 AM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you never have to climb, platform all the way for a commute.. its just so much safer and convenient when you have to detatch your foot from the pedal. I prefer clipping in while commuting just because of all the hills around me though, they're endless here and like mentioned already, night and day between clipless and platform while climbing.

Ive got some pretty nice platforms if you want to trade? I went clipless and don't plan on going platform again unless I get another bike (if even) and I've wanted to try out speedplays on a budget for a long time.

Very grippy and stylish on a road bike, about as good as platform gets as far I'm concerned.
Old 02-02-14, 02:24 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've been pretty much training exclusively on my platforms. I have hotspot issues with pretty much any shoe that's not a specialized bg wide, with just the right amount of arch support and wedges. While I have a pair of SPD SL's, I find platforms to be very convenient. Just make sure you have a toe clip or something to hold your foot in the same position.

Also, I've been looking at some stainless steel insoles to put into my tennis shoes that'll improve the stiffness. I'll probably have to rig something up with that insole to have some sort of arch support though..
Old 02-02-14, 07:09 AM
R1lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why hey not just get the speedplay platform adaptor. That way you can ride clipless in times that you want.
Old 02-02-14, 08:48 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I go back and forth between my commuter bike with platforms and my road race bike with clipless. I love the platforms and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Two summers ago I rode Independence Pass with the platforms and thought they were fantastic. I really don't feel like clipless offers me any advantages at all.
Old 02-02-14, 08:58 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
For commuting, IMO platforms are better. Basically, no need to change shoes when you get to work.

The Ergon PC2's look ridiculous, but work well. Very big, grippy platform.
Old 02-02-14, 08:36 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I'm also commuting in northern NJ to NYC and also using Speedplay(X/2) on my roadbike.
Lately I've been commuting on my folder though since it has fenders for the winter slop.
I can't stand the platform pedals on my Brompton and will be switching to Crankbothers
Eggbeaters 3 clipless pedals soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-rQN...6zPoymgKaIoDLA

Old 02-02-14, 08:47 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 45 mile round trip work commute (re-commencing in Spring). I might go from Look Keo to SPD, but I'd think platform would be torture on my feet.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 02-02-14, 09:19 PM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do see that you bought pedals, but if you still go out on rides that you'll want to clip in and don't want to swap pedals all the time the adapters may be an option as well. (this is assuming you are not keeping it outside where they can be stolen).
Old 02-02-14, 09:22 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I am mainly a clipless user (spd-sl), but keep Power Grips on my utility bike. I like them quite a bit.
Old 02-02-14, 09:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Are you running Sylvans with clips n straps?

I switch from BMX platforms to SPDs to Suntour Cyclone with clips (old road pedals kinda like Sylvans but smaller and no teeth) all the time and don't notice too much difference.

Vans on the BMX platforms hold plenty well, good enough for climbing IMO.

The hardest part is remembering that I have to do REAL bunnyhops when on the platforms

Old 02-02-14, 11:22 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by R1lee
Why hey not just get the speedplay platform adaptor. That way you can ride clipless in times that you want.
+1
Old 02-03-14, 08:40 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts

Paging Alanbikehouston
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-03-14, 08:55 AM
ChuBikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dralways
Ive got some pretty nice platforms if you want to trade?

They look nice but I've already received my MKS Sylvan. The roads I take on my commute only has two main hills each way, other than that it's mainly flat.
Old 02-03-14, 08:58 AM
ChuBikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
Also, I've been looking at some stainless steel insoles to put into my tennis shoes that'll improve the stiffness.
Do you highly suggest I ride with tennis shoes on a platform or will any shoe do the job? I play tennis and have plenty of tennis shoes...
I know we want to go stiff as possible, but I also have some hiking shoes if that's the case.
Old 02-03-14, 09:00 AM
ChuBikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R1lee
Thanks for this option, after looking at pictures, these adapters do not seem to have much grip and would hate to start slipping. Also, they look rather narrow...?
Old 02-03-14, 09:02 AM
R1lee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this option, after looking at pictures, these adapters do not seem to have much grip and would hate to start slipping. Also, they look rather narrow...?
I can't comment on how slippery they are, but i have no issues using them.
Old 02-03-14, 09:02 AM
ChuBikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Are you running Sylvans with clips n straps?
I'm not running them with clips/straps, just open platform.
Old 02-03-14, 10:00 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Went 100% back to platforms, then returned to clipless on two fast bikes, one Tri. My commuters are platforms, powergrips on one and fixie straps on the other. Tennis shoes are great, at less the ones without the built up sole and heel. Mine have a pretty stiff sole. But I switch shoes I'm riding to work, which was part of the reason to ditch clipless.

Though I anticipated muscle memory problems riding bikes with straps, then going clipless, then back again - never happened.
Old 02-03-14, 10:15 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Clipless makes sense on roads outside of the city where you can really hammer, or in the big parks like Central and Prospect. Clipless does NOT make sense when riding on the city streets. How hard can you hammer before hitting a traffic signal and losing all the advantage you may have gained? And then there's the annoyance of unclipping and reclipping at every traffic signal. Clipless just takes all the fun out of riding in the city.

Ridiculous! When I ride in the city I ride my platforms and enjoy the hell out of the experience.
Old 02-07-14, 11:52 AM
smahler

Bikes: Specialized Allez & Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might want to try Power Grip pedals: https://www.jensonusa.com/!GAOwqCjgge...FTHNOgodsUEA5A They're like a platform pedal, but might give you a little more speed (if you're looking for that). I went to these before I switched to clipless. Very easy to use - just slip your foot out when you stop(shouldn't have a problem if you're used to clipless). I have them on my commuter now.
Old 02-07-14, 12:02 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
These work great for my riding.

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...alf-clips.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.