Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

anyone use dura ace 7410 crankset?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 10:27 AM
fatigoworld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

cant find any reviews on these. anyone recommend them? i seem to be very light but are they stiff? im using the 7700 crankset now which ive really liked but i want a square taper so i can get a phil wood BB. any other recommendations for light cranksets would be great too....
Old 08-21-07, 10:54 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recommend them?? Where are you going to find them? They've been out of production since 1996.

In general, 8-speed DA - doubles especially - are odd animals that don't mix will with other parts. Unless you have a full 7400 DA kit, avoid.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-21-07, 11:04 AM
fatigoworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive seen a few on ebay. i would be running a single chainring front, 5 sprockets spaced in the middle of the freehub, ultegra 9sp derailleur narrowed down to 5 with the limit screws, and a phil wood 103mm BB. wouldnt that work?
Old 08-21-07, 11:09 AM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two in use currently. Actually one a 7400 and the other 7410. I use the 7400 with a DA FD and '97 Record front brifter. It provides me with enough trim ability for very smooth shifting. The rest of those bikes are full DA 7400 series.
Old 08-21-07, 11:18 AM
fatigoworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55-11
I have two in use currently. Actually one a 7400 and the other 7410. I use the 7400 with a DA FD and '97 Record front brifter. It provides me with enough trim ability for very smooth shifting. The rest of those bikes are full DA 7400 series.
so these feel as sturdy to you as more modern cranks? no flex?
Old 08-21-07, 11:44 AM
55-11
Señor Cardgage Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compared to my '05 Chorus setup and '06 FSA I would with Chorus being a 10 and FSA being a 4 (definitely flex in this baby), the 7400 is about a 9. Hope that helps (I have noticed that the BB is finally starting to yield).
Old 08-21-07, 12:43 PM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went from a 7400 series crank and BB to a FSA Carbon K-Force ISIS crankset and FSA Platinum Series ISIS Ti BB on my IF. The difference was very noticable to me. FSA setup felt much stiffer. I'm never going back...I should mention i also went from std Looks to Keos at the same time.

On the other hand, since the bling factor is much higher with the FSA stuff, I may just be full of s*@t and it's all a placebo effect. Still, me likey the carbon cranks and Ti BB.

I plan on Ebaying all that old stuff. Real soon. I need a cross frame.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 08-21-07, 02:10 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Originally Posted by fatigoworld
ive seen a few on ebay. i would be running a single chainring front, 5 sprockets spaced in the middle of the freehub, ultegra 9sp derailleur narrowed down to 5 with the limit screws, and a phil wood 103mm BB. wouldnt that work?
If you're going to be running a single front chainring, why not use a crankset designed for one chainring.

A double chainring is designed for the chain to shift off it, not a desireable charecteristic in a single chainring set up (something David Millar's mechanics forgot in a TDF prologue a couple of years ago.)
Old 08-21-07, 02:26 PM
fatigoworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If you're going to be running a single front chainring, why not use a crankset designed for one chainring.

A double chainring is designed for the chain to shift off it, not a desireable charecteristic in a single chainring set up (something David Millar's mechanics forgot in a TDF prologue a couple of years ago.)

i have a single speed chainring with no ramps or pins 130mm that will fit most road cranksets. just looking at road cranks because theyre generally cheaper and easier to find than track or SS cranks.....
Old 08-21-07, 02:53 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a rig with 7401 cranks. They still run pretty nice, but I've loosely considered wasting the money on the new ones.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 08-21-07, 09:50 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

+1

And it would be even lighter.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-21-07, 11:28 PM
fatigoworld

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
+1

And it would be even lighter.
Actually I havent been able to find a single track or single speed crankset that is lighter than this dura ace 7410 double...

the white industries eno is close, but ugly. most are about 100 grams heavier...