Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Damned schoolbus.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Damned schoolbus.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 03:10 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
my middle school bus driver used to run over pets on purpose
Hopefully, there's a special level of Hell for people like that!
Old 08-09-17, 03:51 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by DomaneS5
School traffic is hell and dangerous for cyclists.
Usually the next topic to come up is why kids don't ride their bicycles to school anymore. Before school traffic jams is one good reason.
Old 08-09-17, 04:34 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
Sounds like those kids have horrible parents more so than a horrible bus driver.
I agree but the bus driver needs to take action but I guess you can't say anything to the little darlings these days.
Old 08-09-17, 05:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Usually the next topic to come up is why kids don't ride their bicycles to school anymore. Before school traffic jams is one good reason.
Subdivisions is part of the answer.

Subdivisions have only one way in or out require the use of arterial routes or busy highways to get to stores, schools, churches, parks or other subdivisions.

It is a modern phenomena which has replaced the idea of interconnected neighborhoods and given rise to things like the minivan, and the lines which you mention. There's no way for kids to get to a friend's house without parents driving them and police don't even cruise residential areas any longer.

-Tim-
Old 08-10-17, 04:33 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Subdivisions is part of the answer.

Subdivisions have only one way in or out require the use of arterial routes or busy highways to get to stores, schools, churches, parks or other subdivisions.

It is a modern phenomena which has replaced the idea of interconnected neighborhoods and given rise to things like the minivan, and the lines which you mention. There's no way for kids to get to a friend's house without parents driving them and police don't even cruise residential areas any longer.

-Tim-
I think so too. Our suburbs, at least around here, have obviously been designed around the concept of using a car to go everywhere. We are slowly developing a network of multi use trails, but many of them are poorly designed for functional uses like shopping or going to school.
Old 08-10-17, 06:32 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Wow! School bus, school kids, school bus driver hate. I never knew a bunch of school kids in a big yellow vehicle could torment adults so much.
Old 08-10-17, 06:53 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
Lets hope not. She's 30 years dead

I bet she would still give me a run for the money.
Old 08-10-17, 08:54 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I really hate to be one of those "uphill, in the snow, both ways" people, but when I was going to school the buses wouldn't pick up anyone who lived less than one mile from the school, hardly anyone's parents weren't working and could drive a kid, there were no crossing guards...and yet we survived. Why do today's little precious snowflakes need crossing guards and buses just a few blocks from the school and all this chauffeuring?
Old 08-10-17, 09:07 AM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Most all of our neighborhoods are connected. Even our newest ones were made to connect to other new and existing ones. I live along Rt-1 & I-95...Those are the only two main roads going through my town. They have finally started to put sidewalks along Rt-1 these past couple years but they still aren't complete yet. I can get from one side of town to the other with only having to go onto Rt-1 three times...Which would be less than a half mile altogether. They haven't connected the neighborhoods that back up to the water, so I have to get on rt-1 to go over the bridges.
Old 08-10-17, 10:07 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
I really hate to be one of those "uphill, in the snow, both ways" people, but when I was going to school the buses wouldn't pick up anyone who lived less than one mile from the school, hardly anyone's parents weren't working and could drive a kid, there were no crossing guards...and yet we survived. Why do today's little precious snowflakes need crossing guards and buses just a few blocks from the school and all this chauffeuring?

Crossing guards have been around for ages. Not every school has them. Ours don't and our neighborhood and school are only a few years old. Our school buses also won't pick up our kids because they are too close (<1mile). We also survived without seatbelts or much vehicle safety in general. No bike helmets either. In fact you would have absolutely no chance at a social life if you wore a bike helmet as a kid where I grew up.

Surviving isn't always the bar you should shoot for. Go ahead and toss your bike helmet in the trash, the odds are still in your favor that you survive.
Old 08-10-17, 10:09 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Yup, some of the most fun I had as a kid was the walk to school, figuring out how to get there dry in the rain, and generally making trouble in the woods next to school.

Originally Posted by northtexasbiker
No bike helmets either. In fact you would have absolutely no chance at a social life if you wore a bike helmet as a kid where I grew up.
Mushroom Head!
Old 08-10-17, 10:43 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm a parent, and I know a lot of parents. This is a dilemma. On the one hand, I don't think that the kids need chauffeuring. On the other hand, it's not my call if it's not my kids.

As for crossing guards, the kids don't need them, but the adults driving cars do. A crossing guard is basically a traffic cop without a badge. My commute goes through one intersection that kids cross on the way to school. Having seen how people drive through that intersection, it needs a crossing guard.
Old 08-10-17, 06:42 PM
NoPhart

Bikes: As my watts decline, I’m amping up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can relate to getting in the same groove as a bus on a city street. It happened to me for the first time several weeks ago. This transit bus didn’t have stop signs like school buses, but when it’s at the side of the road in the bike lane (which doubles as a legal bus stop); there is no space between it and the other traffic going by.

I ride 5.5 miles on the road with cars in a bike lane to and from a bike only riverbed trail I ride about every other day. It’s by far the worst part of my ride. Several weeks ago I happened to sync up with a city transit bus after it passed me just as I entered an intersection, and then pulled in front of me on the other side of the intersection to stop at the bus stop. He didn’t cut me off, but I did have to stop behind the bus, because there isn’t enough room to pass it on the left side with the other auto traffic. I hit the brakes hard while searching for an escape or work around. None existed, so I stopped behind the bus.

When traffic cleared I went around on its’ left side and continued on. Every time I came to a red light I ended up back in front of the bus, then it would pass me and pull over to stop again. The second time I hit the sidewalk using a driveway with my eMTB with 2.8 Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires; so I can handle the bumps, cracks, driveway curbs, etc… with ease. I went zipping by the bus on the right side via sidewalk before the bus even got its’ door open.

We played this game for the full 5.5 miles! The bus driver never did anything wrong, but it was a big PITA to react and look for escape routes and work arounds. Sometimes there was no traffic or a large gap, so I could pass it on the left side. Other times I had to use the sidewalk when no people where there waiting, other times I had to stop and wait for traffic to clear or the bus to start moving again. It was very frustrating, but again the bus driver did nothing wrong and never cut me off to the point of being a problem. He was just doing his job, and quite well I might add.

I agree with the other posters who said the best thing to do is take a side street to get away from the bus or simply stop and take a water or phone break to let the bus get out of sync with you. It’s the fact that you are synced up with the buses route that causes the frustration.

Then there are the blissful days like today. I exited the bike only trail for my street trek back home on the with traffic bike lane. I only hit one street light in the entire 5.5 miles with about a 22mph pace. I think I traveled those 5.5 miles as fast as the cars on the same street. They’d be sitting at the light as I approached and it would turn green just in time for me to keep pedaling right past all the cars that passed me. I even had one truck pace me. I think he wanted to see how fast I was riding. I had another passenger in a car yell something out the window at me. I have no idea what it was. The whole street light sync ride was uplifting and fun!

It sure made up for the nasty bus sync ride from weeks before. Buses and wide load construction equipment scare the heck out of me when they pass too close and I don’t see or hear them coming.

Today’s only scary moment was when I was watching my display a little too long and got hit in the head by tree branch fern type leaves, only to look up startled and get hit right in the face by other one. Clearly both my fault for not keeping me eyes ahead of me…

Last edited by NoPhart; 08-10-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 06:12 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
I attended a 2 room rural elementary school that provided no bus service for any of it's students. My walk was one half mile (and it was uphill both ways)
My daily walk ( or bike ride depending on the season) was almost the shortest of any of the kids.
Some had over 2 miles to cover.
Old 08-11-17, 08:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
That bus driver is a classic example of a person with a little authority flaunting his position.
Old 08-11-17, 08:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by rydabent
That bus driver is a classic example of a person with a little authority flaunting his position.
So tell me rydabent, where did you hear the driver's side of the story? Might be true but I'd like to hear the other side before forming such a conclusion.
Old 09-03-17, 09:29 AM
molten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't you just hate any legal/political issue having to do with children? As (for decades) society DOES OVER_SYMPATHIZE TO ANY ISSUES HAVING TO DO WITH CHILDREN. Nowadays, add pets into this.
It is a human sickness, Blamed to the media for much of this -- from their tv reporting. Be it (a) especially on-scene emergencies; (b) general news. Rather than 'balanced news.'

Last edited by molten; 09-03-17 at 09:33 AM.