Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I am looking to buy an Intro level Mountain Bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 06:11 PM
SilentValor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys I recently started mountain biking on a heavy walmart bike and have quickly decided that I absolutely love mountain biking and that I am ready to buy a better bike. I would like to spend around $500-$700 for my first bike. Here are two hardtails I came across that seem like they are pretty good

Diamondback Bicycles - Overdrive Sport

Haro Bikes - MTB - Calavera 27.Five Comp

Both seem to be pretty similar as far as i can tell but the Diamondback only costs 500 while the Haro is over 700. Is the Haro really worth that much more? Also I found this full suspension diamondback for 500

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NCUDDTA/...Y66JR2J6&psc=1

Not sure if the full suspension bike is any good since I do know that cheap full suspension bikes tend to have crappy parts and are pretty heavy. Just curious if you guys have any suggestions. I really am a newb at this whole thing but I really want to get into mountain biking and would love to learn more. Also if you know of any bikes that are better than the ones I posted in the same price range please let me know. Thanks!!!
Old 05-07-15, 01:50 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Of the 2, the DB looks better value, the Haro has a few Alivio bits, but it doesn't say if they are M4000 (if not, their not worth anything over current Acera) ad even the, it's not a full groupset. Between the 2, if you can get the DB for $500, that woudl be the one to get.

For the FS DB, or any FS bike at that price, you will get much less bike than a HT at the same price point.
Old 05-07-15, 02:17 AM
Seb71

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First you should decide on the wheel size. 27.5" is the current mountain bike industry's favorite wheel size.
Old 05-07-15, 06:14 AM
jmb72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At that price stick to a hardtail.

The Diamondback looks good ... includes Shimano hydraulic brakes which are a plus.
Old 05-07-15, 07:54 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilentValor
Hi guys I recently started mountain biking on a heavy walmart bike and have quickly decided that I absolutely love mountain biking and that I am ready to buy a better bike. I would like to spend around $500-$700 for my first bike. Here are two hardtails I came across that seem like they are pretty good

Diamondback Bicycles - Overdrive Sport

Haro Bikes - MTB - Calavera 27.Five Comp

Both seem to be pretty similar as far as i can tell but the Diamondback only costs 500 while the Haro is over 700. Is the Haro really worth that much more? Also I found this full suspension diamondback for 500

Amazon.com : Diamondback Bicycles 2015 Recoil Full Suspension Complete Mountain Bike, 18-Inch/Medium, Silver : Sports & Outdoors

Not sure if the full suspension bike is any good since I do know that cheap full suspension bikes tend to have crappy parts and are pretty heavy. Just curious if you guys have any suggestions. I really am a newb at this whole thing but I really want to get into mountain biking and would love to learn more. Also if you know of any bikes that are better than the ones I posted in the same price range please let me know. Thanks!!!
That FS is ****. Stick with hardtail.

An Airborne Guardian is better than any of those $599.

What's the difference in a Diamondback Axis vs Overdrive.
Spec seems very simliar. 'T6' butted frame. Both upgrade to tapered headtube going from Sport to Comp.
oh oh Overdrive is 29er, Axis is 650b.

If you can stretch your budget to the Comp and maybe find a deal, Diamondbacks are afterall frequently discounted heavily..., entire package is substantially improved. Not just drivetrain. Frame, fork, and drivetrain full package. It's deore, and it's a 2x drivetrain that will shift better/faster.

Last edited by Menel; 05-07-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-07-15, 08:36 PM
SilentValor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Yea I am fully set on getting a hardtail at this point. I went to a local bike dealer and he has this X-caliber 6 and a Rockhopper for about $730 each, they are 29's which I think I am gravitating more towards over the 650b.

Specialized Bicycle Components

X-Caliber 6 - Trek Bicycle

I guess my only question now is if those are really a much better bike than the Diamondback Overdrive Sport that costs only $530 on amazon.com. Now I would have to pay for it to get assembled which would bump the price up to $600, and I do like the idea of buying from a local bike shop rather than online since they provide free lifetime adjustments and let me test ride the bikes before buying but is the X-calibur or Rockhopper really worth the $200 or so more it will cost?
Old 05-07-15, 10:34 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jmb72
At that price stick to a hardtail.

The Diamondback looks good ... includes Shimano hydraulic brakes which are a plus.
Would normally agree with this, but the Haro just looks like a bad deal vs the DB; if you can live with the older 29er wheel size.
Old 05-08-15, 04:33 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
OP Tire size,, 29er's work better for taller riders,,,
29er wheels weigh more, a bunch more at that price level,,, takes a stronger engine to accelerate quickly...
once rolling they roll super well..

If you got lots of punchy short single track climbs think hard on wheel size,,other than that think of wheel size as a bike fit factor..

I'm 5'11" had a 29er HT,, Loved it,, I sat 'ON TOP' of the bike,,

My current 27.5" also a large frame, I sit 'IN' this bike,,,

That's how they feel..

29er ,,,27.5" completely different animals..

If I rode lots of wide open spaces I'd have a 29er again, but I don't so I won't
Old 05-08-15, 05:02 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilentValor
Thanks for all the replies. Yea I am fully set on getting a hardtail at this point. I went to a local bike dealer and he has this X-caliber 6 and a Rockhopper for about $730 each, they are 29's which I think I am gravitating more towards over the 650b.

Specialized Bicycle Components

X-Caliber 6 - Trek Bicycle

I guess my only question now is if those are really a much better bike than the Diamondback Overdrive Sport that costs only $530 on amazon.com. Now I would have to pay for it to get assembled which would bump the price up to $600, and I do like the idea of buying from a local bike shop rather than online since they provide free lifetime adjustments and let me test ride the bikes before buying but is the X-calibur or Rockhopper really worth the $200 or so more it will cost?
The advantage to buying locally is you can test ride the bike. Plus it's nice to have a relationship with the local shop. All bikes have slightly different geometry, and will fit and ride a little different. Ride the two in the store and go for the one that fits and feels better for your body's structure.
Old 05-08-15, 05:53 PM
SilentValor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for all the help guys. I guess I will just buy one of the ones at the local shop since they have a good amount of options. Although they all are 29ners except that haro which is a 650b. It seems really hard to find a 650b. Still not sure which one would be better for me. I will be doing a large variety of trails. Some are more open smoother rides while some are much more bumpy twisting technical trails. I seem to enjoy the latter more. But idk everyone I talk to seems to highly recommend 29ners over the 650bs. I am about 5'10 and weigh 170lbs and specifically love going fast on kind of technical trails with lots of rocks and jumps and stuff. Sounds like 650bs would be better but again there are none that I know of available except the haro which seems like an inferior bike compared to the rockhopper and x-caliber.
Old 05-09-15, 03:39 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Only people I'd point at a 27.5 Hard Tail, would be a rider who would not fit well on the taller 29er wheeled frame..

The reduced weight of a hard tail frame can make up all or more of the added weight of the 29er wheel sets..

I've seen them, super fast light hard tails with light wheel sets costing north of a thousand bucks, the first upgrade is often wheels

Removing one pound of rolling mass has the same effect as removing two pounds of static weight... that's a given... Old knowledge..

My Daddy got this mean old dog, he used to starve it a little, then tie a steak around my neck to get that dog to play with me.
Yeah they'd sit on the porch laughing, him and his buddes, making bets on me or the dog

Last edited by osco53; 05-09-15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-09-15, 06:27 PM
SilentValor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea that makes sense. Everything I read says that hardtails are almost all 29ners now unless they are small. You dont really get into 650bs until you upgrade to a good full suspension bike and want to keep the weight down to ride on more winding technical trails where you are breaking and accelerating a lot. At least that is what I have read. I will most likely get a 29ner unless I try some out and just cant stand being up that high. The bike I have been riding now is a old rigid 26 lol so it will be quite different riding a hardtail 29ner. But I think I will love it.
Old 05-09-15, 06:28 PM
SilentValor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh and thanks so much for all the info guys. I have learned so much about biking this past weak its crazy and I am more than ever stoked to get out and shred some trail. Have a good one!!!
Old 05-09-15, 09:30 PM
Troggie

Bikes: State Bicycles Trooper 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can swing it try Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er Mountain Bike - Nashbar Exclusive this is the Overdrive Comp and if you watch Nashbar has sales where you can get 20% off so it comes out to be about 650 after shipping with better components than the Sport version. I purchased it about 5 weeks ago and have been riding it constantly on the road and on the trails and love it. One of the most comfortable bikes I have ridden.
Old 05-24-15, 06:38 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Buy the one with the best suspension fork!