Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best of the "Worst" bikes? Bike Boom and BSO's

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Best of the "Worst" bikes? Bike Boom and BSO's

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-21, 05:07 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Apologies in advance. Any 70's Peugeot UO-8. Crappy bikes with charm.

Qualifier. I like 52 -54 cm seat tubes. Many venerable members have attested to the above-par ride of their UO-8s. I've never experienced that so frame size may be important.

Last edited by clubman; 02-04-21 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-04-21, 10:41 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
Still looking for 25-25.5ish alloy seat post to replace original steel. I like this bike.
I'm guessing there's enough metal in there to safely hone it out to an easily-findable size?

--Shannon
Old 02-05-21, 01:31 AM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
Calipers measure post at 25.35mm, thanks
Old 02-05-21, 03:21 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 2,165 Times in 559 Posts
The "worst bike" I've fixed up is probably this petite Gitane mixte. It would have been nice for my daughter, but she was not even a toddler at this point. It was rusty and neglected, but I got it for a song and thought it was just too cute not to bring it back to life. It was also an excuse for my first experiment with oxalic acid. I'm not sure if these photos will show up. The only images I have remaining were sequestered by Photobucket, so I'm copying photos from an older thread. (Are these still viewable by others?)

Old 02-05-21, 04:01 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
Calipers measure post at 25.35mm, thanks
25.4 mm alloy seat posts abound. If nothing else, there's a Kalloy UNO that fits.

(1st Law of Seatposts: There's always a Kalloy UNO that fits.)

--Shannon
Old 02-09-21, 07:48 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Het Volk

This....potentially. While Made in France, and kind of a historical artifact to the Denver bike business (it was only sold in Denver), the drivetrain is shot due to the fact the plastic in the components ages quickly and the front derailleur already is cracked. However, the chromed fork crown I found out after getting it home is actually plastic. Cottered crank, but original bar tape, no rust, decals in mint condition.

So now I either need to try to keep is period specific, or just say screw it, and use modern components. Or - leave as is as a piece of history. If it were not for the pristine condition, I would turn it into a commuter, but something tells me this, while being a heavy Hi-Ten 10-Speed bike, there is something about retaining this for its condition at this point.

That's a Roger Riviere. Or a Concorde. Or a St. Etienne. Basically, there were all Gitanes, made for other branding, to a specification one step under the cheapest Gitane-branded bike made during the Bike Boom. Horribly cheap paint jobs, CLB Racer brakes, Simplex Prestige. Here's what it looked like under Roger Riviere livery. A.R. Adams Cycle lived off of those once the following month's Schwinn and Raleigh shipments were presold.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 02-09-21 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-09-21, 08:22 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 332 Posts
I work on a lot of crappy bikes. This one embraces the crappiness:

I call it the Urban Assault Bike. I'm pretty sure it's an early 70s Murray Alpine frame. Nothing is original except maybe the handlebars. Rides pretty well, though.