Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pedal clips for old Peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 11:10 AM
edwardsmarkf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hello all --

i am interested in some sort of shoe-pedal clip for my antique Peugeot. it appears the most popular route is some sort of shoe and pedal that are specifically made to clip together.

my questions:

1) is the thread pattern in pedals somehow universal? this appears to be the case with my Specialized bicycle but i am concerned about the Peugeot using an odd pedal

2) is there some option to use a more conventional shoe? those shoes built to clip on the pedals dont look like they would make for a very comfortable walking shoe.

i did just purchase these(attached) , but was hoping for a better option. perhaps there is something that attaches to the shoe that can be clipped into a pedal? i am just guessing here.

EDIT: nope not yet allowed to attach (a picture is worth a thousand words, so here goes) - its a plastic piece that screws on the pedal, and then covers the top of the shoe, with a leather strap that holds the shoe on to the pedal.

i have had these before and they can be a little tricky to get your feet into them.

Last edited by edwardsmarkf; 08-31-21 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-31-21, 11:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
From Sheldon Brown (Bicycle Pedals -- types, installation, Maintenance. (sheldonbrown.com)):

"Older French bicycles used a 14 mm x 1.25 mm thread, but these are quite rare. French-threaded pedals are commonly labeled "D" and G" (French for "droite" and "gauche" (right and left). A French pedal will start to thread into a 9/16 x 20 crank (and vice versa), but will soon bind. Do not force it, or it will damage the crank. Aluminum French cranks are easily rethreaded to 9/16" x 20 TPI"
Old 08-31-21, 11:33 AM
edwardsmarkf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you Phil - you just confirmed my suspicion. i get sort of nervous getting into rethreading. if ANYTHING should go wrong, my project suddenly gets infinitely more difficult.
and i dont have any rethreading tools.
Old 08-31-21, 11:43 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Petal?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-31-21, 11:59 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
WRT question #2: you can't walk on shoes made for clipless pedals. Even if you believe you can, the people around you will think differently.

Classic clips & straps work well with "normal shoes" as long as they meet two conditions:
  1. they shouldn't be too wide or long (or they just won't fit)
  2. the soles should be thick/stiff enough (or the pedals will start pressing into your foot soles aftera couple of hours)
Many sneakers work well, shoes with leather soles work even better - especially in the looks department. My favorites are leather-soled cycle touring shoes with a thin rubber stick-on sole. The rubber keeps my foot from straying from the pedal, but getting out is easy, too.

Old 08-31-21, 01:40 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Question for the original poster: how old do you think your Peugeot is? My late 60s Peugeot used standard pedals….

As to clipless pedals: if you get shoes designed for mountain bikes you can easily walk in them with the cleat installed - mine look like (and basically work like) hiking shoes. You can even get sandals with SPD (shimano style) cleats.

If on the other hand you want to use “regular shoes” you should be looking for “toe clips” which attach to many regular pedals.
Old 08-31-21, 01:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Go to this gallery and upload there. Then we can access and repost in the thread.
Old 08-31-21, 03:37 PM
edwardsmarkf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my Peugeot was purchased in 1978.
Old 08-31-21, 03:37 PM
edwardsmarkf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Petal?
i am a "creative speller".
Old 08-31-21, 09:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I'm not sure when Peugeot went to standard threading in their crank arms, but it's pretty easy to tell, once you remove a pedal.
French threaded pedals do have the same right hand threading on the drive side, and left hand threading on the non drive side, as do the associated crank arms.

Rethreading them is not a big deal, I've done at least two or three hundred over the years. But if you're anxious about it, it doesn't cost much to hire the job out to someone with more confidence. Standard threading oepns up a whole world off better modern pedals, which is denied to you if you want to stay with French. The job is easier and more securely accomplished with the cranks removed, held in a solid bench vise with non marring jaws, and using a long taper tap, like the ones made and sold by Hozan. there are shorter taps, with less taper, sold more cheaply. But there is more risk of going in at an angle other than the perpendicular 90* angle you desire.

If your bike has steel crank arms, it's a little more labor intensive to rethread them, but it's still doable. Whoever does it for you will charge more for steel arms.

BY 1978, it's possible they wee standard threading in 9/16", but the best way to find out is to remove one of them and check it.