Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me build a 1990 De Rosa Pro

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me build a 1990 De Rosa Pro

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 12:02 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I wouldn't normally be a big fan of all-black components, but if you're going to go all-out that just might work really well here - can't wait to see it come together!

Great work.
I don't know if it will or not. Gotta try! Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-05-21, 12:13 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
ITM’s Anatomic Super Pro 260 bars are nice bars & Available in black as well as their stems...
They measure their bars a little different than Cinelli does. A 44 cm would be what a Cinelli 42 cm would be!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Italmanubri....m46890.l49292
Thanks for the link!
I have these to try out.
Old 03-05-21, 08:27 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Thanks for the link!
I have these to try out.
A note: ITM bars have a clamp size of 26.0mm & not 26.4...!
Old 09-03-21, 06:05 AM
SJX426 

Finally got up the desire to update the cockpit. Removed tape and Ergos, then the stem/handlebars.

Thought I would use the set in the previous post, 127, of all black. The problem was the cable housing was too short because the Cinelli bar is a 44 compared to the 40 that it was built with.
I was apprehensive about using it anyway because it is a 26 and not a 26.4 which the stem is sized for. The same bar was used on the newer stem and fit nice and tight. It clamped easily and firmly holds the bar in place with little torque on the clamping bolt.

Routed the shifter cables to the outside of the bar and under it where it exits. The Ergos give you that choice with two groves to lay the housing in.

I think the black stem is very acceptable and in a way balances with the post. The bar and saddle rails also go well together too.
The bar tape was reused without issues of wrapping. I just am not a fan of semi sticky tape. It looks a bit dirty after a couple of uses. The reason for not using a better replacement is how little it has been used. It works great if you don't look at it! I may try using tire cleaner on it.
P1050278 on Flickr

I should take it outside for improved lighting.
P1050277 on Flickr

Tires need inflating!
P1050280 on Flickr
Old 09-03-21, 06:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Great build, looks like a fast bike, a triple Campy crank would make it even faster without harming its Italian pedigree. Just sayin.
Dude, no logic in this statement at all.

Old 12-30-21, 12:05 PM
oceanhaitang
Haleakalacraterlove

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi Giro with full Campagnolo Victory Groupset

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Finally got up the desire to update the cockpit. Removed tape and Ergos, then the stem/handlebars.

Thought I would use the set in the previous post, 127, of all black. The problem was the cable housing was too short because the Cinelli bar is a 44 compared to the 40 that it was built with.
I was apprehensive about using it anyway because it is a 26 and not a 26.4 which the stem is sized for. The same bar was used on the newer stem and fit nice and tight. It clamped easily and firmly holds the bar in place with little torque on the clamping bolt.

Routed the shifter cables to the outside of the bar and under it where it exits. The Ergos give you that choice with two groves to lay the housing in.

I think the black stem is very acceptable and in a way balances with the post. The bar and saddle rails also go well together too.
The bar tape was reused without issues of wrapping. I just am not a fan of semi sticky tape. It looks a bit dirty after a couple of uses. The reason for not using a better replacement is how little it has been used. It works great if you don't look at it! I may try using tire cleaner on it.
P1050278 on Flickr

I should take it outside for improved lighting.
P1050277 on Flickr

Tires need inflating!
P1050280 on Flickr
Awesome build! I had pretty much the same build issues with my ‘83 Pinarello regarding color schemes for cockpit and the balance of silver and black components on a classic and vintage red Italian frame.

I decided on black on black stem, black seat post, black saddle, black bar tape, black cable housing, and black wheels… with silver for the rest of the drivetrain and brake calipers.

I’ve done all white, all red, all black… I think I like it setup the way it is currently. Although I do like the white handlebar tape with all black

Likes For oceanhaitang: